Directions of Making Getback Whips
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Directions of Making Getback Whips

Default Directions for Making Getback Whips??

I have a member of my MC that wants to get into making Getback whips. He has all the materials he needs but is unsure of how long to cut his strips in order to make 2 -3 foot whips.

Anyone out there got some insight on this?

Thanks
    Last edited by dclark31; 12-09-2010 at 02:22 PM.

DJay - Welcome to Texas and Semper Fi
    Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue
    2003 VTX1800R, Memphis Shades Fats & Lowers, Mustang Vintage Sport seat, Hondaline Tall backrest, Cobra Fatty Highway bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Get all the materials together and set up. Measure carefully then go here:

http://www.chilhowee.net/getback-whips/061018001.html

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…"

That lets me buy a ready made whip... has nothing to do with making your own.

DJay - Welcome to Texas and Semper Fi
    Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue
    2003 VTX1800R, Memphis Shades Fats & Lowers, Mustang Vintage Sport seat, Hondaline Tall backrest, Cobra Fatty Highway bar

Quote Originally Posted by dclark31 View Post
    That lets me buy a ready made whip... has nothing to do with making your own.
    The website at the above link does infact have a description of what length to use. All bikes have different handlebars, risers and etc. so the whips come in various lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by dclark31 View Post
    I have a member of my MC that wants to get into making Getback whips. He has all the materials he needs but is unsure of how long to cut his strips in order to make 2 -3 foot whips.

Anyone out there got some insight on this?

Thanks

Not sure of lengths of starting materials, that may take a little bit of trail and error trys. But back when I was a kid one of the groups I was in we made key chains and other items of braided leathers. So my first question is does the member know how to braid leather. Have him get some small stuff to practice on first. Once he/they start braiding things they have a known measurement and a final measurement once something is made. Then it's just a little bit of math to figure out how much of starting stock material you need to make the length you want.

Tejas
    It's not what you ride, BUT that you ride.
    04 1800 'R' Spec 2 Candy Black Cherry, 88 K miles

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety. - Benjamin Franklin"

I hope to not cause this thread to stray off topic or anything, but I have always wondered about those get back whips. I was under the impression that it was mainly MC's that carried these and they are usually made with their club colors. Could one get into trouble by carrying one if it were the color of certain MC's?
    Last edited by kajunkruzer; 12-09-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    '03 1800R MotorTrike/'09 HD Street Glide

Quote Originally Posted by kajunkruzer View Post
    I hope to not cause this thread to stray off topic or anything, but I have always wondered about those get back whips. I was under the impression that it was mainly MC's that carried these and they are usually made with their club colors. Could one get into trouble by carrying one if it were the color of certain MC's?
    As long as you don't have a club color (patch logo) on it you should be ok. That's like catching chite for the color of your bike... If you're worried then you could just do a black one.

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    support your
    LOCAL 81

Default get back whip

Do know of a tutorial to make get back whips? If so, could you send me the link?

This is a three year old thread, how did you come across it? But somebody else might chine in with your answer

VTX 1800R Custom, QQ drop bags/fender, HD Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood deck, 4 pc Ultimate seats, so much chrome it hurts....

I'm not going gray, I'm going chrome

Thanks for the braiding video... very cool

Default youtube has all the instruction vids you want

folks are braiding them out of paracord and if done right they look really really good. heck, even kids are braiding these things.. make sure you use the right clips. i believe they are for training horses. a quick release for if the horse gets spooked or something like that. its easy to make with your club's colors!!! add a 3/4" or 1" steel ball bairing in a monkey knot at the end, inside all the tassels on bottom and it does make a very effective weapon.. also shows club colors and attracts attention.. but i like the attention because just like loud pipes anything you can do to catch folks attention lets them know you're there and in my eyes that helps keep me alive.. now if i want a weapon ill reach in my cut! or go for my ankle, but you know even a 95 lbs woman can carry a gun that kinda nullifies hand held weapons of this nature... for the most part. but you know.... it is what it is! in the past ive kicked cars and such but i wouldn't call it good practice. but whatever keeps you alive! thats the name of the game. survival...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.