LED tail/brake replacement for 1157 bulb ?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: LED tail/brake replacement for 1157 bulb ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member sshake1905's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Caldwell, city in southwest Idaho
    Posts
    230

    Default LED tail/brake replacement for 1157 bulb ?

    Old school and basically ignorant about LED lights...just know they are much brighter and easier to see....

    can anyone give me guidance about and where to find a LED bulb, or unit, that will plug and play in the 1157 socket of my stock taillight on my 2007 Honda VTX 1300 C ?? Is there such an animal out there?

    I have stock red lens and would like to keep it and.... do these LED replacement units come in different angles of projection or reflections ?? because the taillight on the VTX doesn't face rearward at 90 degrees Thanks for any help and guidence...

    Steve

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member poopster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sshake1905 View Post
    Old school and basically ignorant about LED lights...just know they are much brighter and easier to see....

    can anyone give me guidance about and where to find a LED bulb, or unit, that will plug and play in the 1157 socket of my stock taillight on my 2007 Honda VTX 1300 C ?? Is there such an animal out there?

    I have stock red lens and would like to keep it and.... do these LED replacement units come in different angles of projection or reflections ?? because the taillight on the VTX doesn't face rearward at 90 degrees Thanks for any help and guidence...

    Steve
    Go to superbrightleds.com They have what you want. If you are going to go with LEDs pickup the replacement signal flasher so the leds blink like they are suppose to. You will need the LF1-S-Flat relay flasher and duel element 1157 bulbs of your choice. They are brighter and draw less power. Good luck

  4. #3
    Member rs42sport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    glenview, Il
    Posts
    90

    Talking

    If you can wait a week or so till i get the best led i found out then you would have to waste any money buying superbrights led or vleds or the stuff on ebay. Heres my thread look it over before you buy.... http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290727

    steven

  5. #4
    Member rs42sport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    glenview, Il
    Posts
    90

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by poopster View Post
    If you are going to go with LEDs pickup the replacement signal flasher so the leds blink like they are suppose to. You will need the LF1-S-Flat relay flasher and duel element 1157 bulbs of your choice. They are brighter and draw less power. Good luck
    You will only need a flasher if you are going to swap your 1156 turn signals for leds the taillight doesnt need a relay flasher. Now unless you want a brake modulator so that your brake flashes thats the (only) flasher for the taillight.

    Steven

  6. #5
    Senior Member RandyHut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lex KY area
    Posts
    819

    Default Look at this mod

    Look at this Mod: Tail Light Mod @

    http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
    2005 VTX-1300R PAIR done, Stock FURY Pipes, Decapped Airbox, K&N Filter, #210 Main Jet, #58 Pilot Scar Mod with 1 shims, AF @1.875 turns. 10 Min AF Adjuster, All Balls, Nylon Shock Bushings, 1800F Risers, Avon Front w/Dyna Beads 205/70/15 Grabber UHP rear w/Airsoft Pellets, J&P $40 Passenger Floor Boards, LED Red Run/Stop Lights in Yellow lens, Rotella T6 Synthetic 5-40w Ultimate Seats! Headlight Relay

  7. #6
    Senior Member sshake1905's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Caldwell, city in southwest Idaho
    Posts
    230

    Default LED 1157 tail/brake bulb replacement problem

    I went to NAPA today and bought a "StreetGlow" brand direct replacement for my 1157 bulb on my 07 VTX 1300c....Red LED bulb because my rear lens cover is Red...

    Put the LED bulb in the socket where old 1157 was, turned on key and I had tail light...but when I hit rear foot brake, NO BRAKE LIGHT...when I grabbed the front brake lever...NO BRAKE LIGHT....what's the deal? the bulb only fits the socket one way....

    I tried my newly install MBW strip LED rear turn signals...left and right side both worked fine.....with no increase in flash rate per second over old signals... I did not replace the stock VTX 1300 flasher unit when I installed the LED turn signal srtips (w/ 65 LEDs on right and 65 LEDs on the left) because the blink rate did not increase....

    But...does anyone know why I would have a tail light, but no brake light with this simple 12 LED 1157 replacement plug and play bulb??? I am headed down to NAPA to have bulb tested and try again....

    would really appreciate any advice from guys who have replaced 1157 tail./brake bulb with a LED replacement w/ 12 LEDs....Thanks......Steve

  8. #7
    Senior Member sshake1905's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Caldwell, city in southwest Idaho
    Posts
    230

    Default LED replacement for 1157 tail/brake bulb

    Hey...I just got back from trip to NAPA auto parts....and I got lucky...all my problems were caused by a defective, made in China, StreetGlow 12 LED replacement bulb for my 1157....

    Guys at NAPA were great.....gave me another bulb, after opening it and testing for consistency...no charge

    Took second bulb home, plugged it into 1157 socket in rear light in my bike and all was cool again....goes to show, sometimes we get lucky...

    By the way...thanks to all who may have chipped in with LED advice in last few days.....

    I was very happy to find that I could replace the rear turn signal bulbs (1156) with a 130 LED strip turn signal array from MBW with single function amber LEDs...AND also replace my stock tail/brake light bulb (1157) with a 12 LED red replacement bulb... without replacing the flasher relay unit, AND without adding a load equalizer...like many said I would need to do....

    all I can figure out is that the previous owner might have added a load equalizer, even tho I can't find one wired into the harness anywhere

    Thanks for help...Steve

  9. #8
    Senior Member dangrousdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hemet, Peoples Republic of California
    Posts
    3,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sshake1905 View Post
    Hey...I just got back from trip to NAPA auto parts....and I got lucky...all my problems were caused by a defective, made in China, StreetGlow 12 LED replacement bulb for my 1157....

    Guys at NAPA were great.....gave me another bulb, after opening it and testing for consistency...no charge

    Took second bulb home, plugged it into 1157 socket in rear light in my bike and all was cool again....goes to show, sometimes we get lucky...

    By the way...thanks to all who may have chipped in with LED advice in last few days.....

    I was very happy to find that I could replace the rear turn signal bulbs (1156) with a 130 LED strip turn signal array from MBW with single function amber LEDs...AND also replace my stock tail/brake light bulb (1157) with a 12 LED red replacement bulb... without replacing the flasher relay unit, AND without adding a load equalizer...like many said I would need to do....

    all I can figure out is that the previous owner might have added a load equalizer, even tho I can't find one wired into the harness anywhere

    Thanks for help...Steve
    I had LEDs in the rear turn signals with out a fast blink rate, put LEDs in the front and had a fast blink rate so then I changed the flasher to a http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_...rd_DOT_Flasher
    Sent from my PC or Laptop or Netbook by Tapping MY KEYBOARD ;^)







  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south of Houston
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Hey sshake1905,

    How are those LED bulbs compared to regular ones as to brightness?

    Thanks,

    Greybeard
    2003 HD Road King (for sale one of these days)
    2007 VTX 1300 R
    2006 VTX 1800 R Trike






  11. #10
    Senior Member XRiderChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    I bought a Kisan Tailblazer 1157 style bulb from our buddies at HDL and LOVE it... kinda spendy, but it has a built in decreasing flash rate flash to a steady on, has the 1157 base... but it is halogen, not LED. MUCH brighter, good flash... I already notice cages stayin much further back off my azz at lights, or whenever I hit the brakes...
    If you can read this, Thank a teacher; since you're reading it in English; Thank a Veteran! All gave some; Some gave All...

  12. #11
    Senior Member sshake1905's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Caldwell, city in southwest Idaho
    Posts
    230

    Default LED 1157 replacement brightness

    Hey Greybeard............The one I put in (with 12 LEDs) is about the same brightness as the stock 1157 filament bulb (5w/21w)....maybe even a little less...but it will never burn out because of a broken filament, it uses less than 3 watts of power and puts out little, if any, noticable heat.....

    You can buy 1157 and 1156 sized LED replacement bulbs that have 19 LEDs, 24 LEDs and more LEDs the brighter they are...compared to old 1157 incandesant filament bulbs....the replacement LEDs with 1157/1156 base with 30 or more LEDs...might be too wide or large to fit in a tail light cavity...depending on bike model, of course...

    I want to try the 1157 size dual curcuit replacements with 24LEDs...I think they will fit my tail light ok and be much brighter......like Xridrchuck says....the idea is to make the cagers out there open up their eyes..............sshake1905
    Last edited by sshake1905; 12-31-2010 at 02:01 AM.

  13. #12
    Member rs42sport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    glenview, Il
    Posts
    90

    Default

    theres different types of leds out there... theres the plain led, theres smd leds which are brighter than regular leds and then theres 5050 smds which are 100x brighter than leds and then there are luxon <- spelling is wrong i think... Now those will be more $$ buy the lightout put would be compared to a spot light the one im getting is about 450lumens its gunna be bright.

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south of Houston
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    I agree there are different types of LED's out there, but there is no standard for brightness.

    SMD refers to "surface mounted" and really doesn't have anything to do with brightness.

    As with flashlights, some are measured in Lumens, some in candlepower, and there is no "conversion" chart to compare them.

    Bright or Superbright LED's are just sales terms and have no real meaning.

    Here's a link to the brightness of many LED's.

    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Fleds.htm#smd
    2003 HD Road King (for sale one of these days)
    2007 VTX 1300 R
    2006 VTX 1800 R Trike






  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Allen, Tx
    Posts
    216

    Default LEDs...Pictures?? Opinions??

    @rs42sport - any updates with pics or your opinions..how do you lik'em the LEDs...

    I'm thinking about replacing incandescent bults (turn - front & rear, breaklight) with LEDs....I realize will have to get the Electronic flasher if I go with LEDs..

    From earlier confirmations I have realized that the flasher will work with the Triple whammy I have in from Kuryakyn....
    MaverikS (07 1300s Met Blk Cherry)

    [Add-Ons: Too Many to list...pic says it all as of 2012.10]

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •