Honda VTX Forum banner

Candy Red 2004 VTX 1300C FOR SALE

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  kingskid 
#1 ·
Breaks my heart to sell my bike but, got to pay my daughters college fees.
International students 3 x out of state fees driving me nuts...
She is not even allowed to work...pays to be illegal in this country unfortunately, according to the President.
Anyway don't get me started.....

Selling my bike guys, shes on craiglist need her gone please need to raise $5k.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcy/3082551582.html

More pics available if required.

Jim

#4 ·
Major props to you. Hopefully your daughter sees the sacrifice her parents are making for her. This is a valuable "life lesson" for her. When my kids came along I said adios to my bike. It was so painful when the guy came to pick it up I asked him not to ride out until I went in the house :cry:. 20 yrs later they're out of the house and I'm back up on 2 wheels and loving it even more than before. Your time will come back around and in the mean time you're being a responsible parent. Good for you & the rest of your family. Good luck with the sale. Jets

#6 ·
I bought mine when Son was a Senior and Daughter was a Junior in High School. Knew I would not be able to do so once they started college. We made many sacrifices but fortunately the bike was not one of them. They both have their degrees now and it was worth it. Good Luck with the sale!

#7 ·
I bought mine when Son was a Senior and Daughter was a Junior in High School. Knew I would not be able to do so once they started college. We made many sacrifices but fortunately the bike was not one of them. They both have their degrees now and it was worth it. Good Luck with the sale!
Jim,

I hate to see you sellin the bike to pay out of state fees. My question is, what are you going to do in upcoming semesters? These out of state fees aren't going anywhere, and I'd hate to see you sell the bike if there is a workaround. I don't need to know where she's going to school, but if you can tell me what state her home state is (I assume Fl) what state shes going to school in, I might be able to give you some hints.

Ive worked in Higher ED for quite a while now and I know a few tricks of the trade that some people may not be aware of.

Beside, how can I not help a guy out named Jim?

Jimmie :doorag:

#8 ·
Jim,

I hate to see you sellin the bike to pay out of state fees. My question is, what are you going to do in upcoming semesters? These out of state fees aren't going anywhere, and I'd hate to see you sell the bike if there is a workaround. I don't need to know where she's going to school, but if you can tell me what state her home state is (I assume Fl) what state shes going to school in, I might be able to give you some hints.

Ive worked in Higher ED for quite a while now and I know a few tricks of the trade that some people may not be aware of.

Beside, how can I not help a guy out named Jim?

Jimmie :doorag:
Hi Jimmie,
Well the issue I guess is that we are from the UK.
We live here in Florida and have done so since 2004 my daughter was 15 and my son was 7 when we arrived.
I own a landscape business and am here on a E2 visa which puts us in the non-immigrant bracket. My daughter was on my visa until she was 21yrs old when she had to switch to a F1(intl student visa). We didn't come into this blind, we knew we would have to pay 3 x out of state fees which unfortunately, is the international student rate. She has 1 year left at FAU in Boca Raton FL. We saved the money to put her through college even though our own visa (E2) has to be renewed ever 5 years at a cost of $10,000.
The problem is the college in the infinite wisdom decided to add 5 credits to the course leaving us a in a position of not having the funds to see her through. We can not apply for student loans without a citizen co-signer. She has worked so hard to get this far as it is not easy as she is not allowed to work on her visa. We pay for her education 8k a simester, her rent, car etc... plus we have our own visa renewal next year.
So, Jimmie I hope this puts you in the pictures and maybe others will understand my frustration in my original post with regards immigration.
My daughter is one year from a BA in nursing. We learned just last month that the government have put a holt to the visa she would require to gain employment on completion of college. American trained, english speaking in a country where there is a short fall in nurses and she may have to leave at the end of her course. Again drives me nuts.......she is heart broken.

Jim

#9 ·
Hi Jimmie,
We live here in Florida and have done so since 2004 my daughter was 15 and my son was 7 when we arrived.
I own a landscape business and am here on a E2 visa which puts us in the non-immigrant bracket. My daughter was on my visa until she was 21yrs old when she had to switch to a F1(intl student visa). We didn't come into this blind, we knew we would have to pay 3 x out of state fees which unfortunately, is the international student rate. She has 1 year left at FAU in Boca Raton FL. We saved the money to put her through college even though our own visa (E2) has to be renewed ever 5 years at a cost of $10,000.
The problem is the college in the infinite wisdom decided to add 5 credits to the course leaving us a in a position of not having the funds to see her through. We can not apply for student loans without a citizen co-signer. She has worked so hard to get this far as it is not easy as she is not allowed to work on her visa. We pay for her education 8k a simester, her rent, car etc... plus we have our own visa renewal next year.
So, Jimmie I hope this puts you in the pictures and maybe others will understand my frustration in my original post with regards immigration.
My daughter is one year from a BA in nursing. We learned just last month that the government have put a holt to the visa she would require to gain employment on completion of college. American trained, english speaking in a country where there is a short fall in nurses and she may have to leave at the end of her course. Again drives me nuts.......she is heart broken.

Jim
Jim,

Let me make some calls on Monday. I cant promise anything but I will definitely see what I can find out. I'm here in Georgia, and I'm very good friends with people at both UofF and FIU (was in Miami just a couple of months ago). The sticking point (as you obviously know) is going to be the international status. We charge the hell out of our international kids here as well at Georgia Tech upwards of 20-25k a semester.

Now one thing I will point out is you say the nursing school has decided to add 5 credit hours to the required curriculum. Typically anytime a student enters an academic program, they are locked into the curriculum of that catalog year that she entered. What this means is, if there are changes to the curriculum then she does not have to adhere to the changes, and is only responsible for completing the rules and coursework under her original catalog year. If the school has decided to no longer offer the classes she needed then it is her nursing programs responsibility to make concessions to make her program as close to what it was when she originally enrolled. To not do so would leave them in a very precarious an potential lawsuit situation. We are always very careful when changing our requirements to make sure we can accommodate anyone being caught up in the wash.

#10 ·
Jim,

Let me make some calls on Monday. I cant promise anything but I will definitely see what I can find out. I'm here in Georgia, and I'm very good friends with people at both UofF and FIU (was in Miami just a couple of months ago). The sticking point (as you obviously know) is going to be the international status. We charge the hell out of our international kids here as well at Georgia Tech upwards of 20-25k a semester.

Now one thing I will point out is you say the nursing school has decided to add 5 credit hours to the required curriculum. Typically anytime a student enters an academic program, they are locked into the curriculum of that catalog year that she entered. What this means is, if there are changes to the curriculum then she does not have to adhere to the changes, and is only responsible for completing the rules and coursework under her original catalog year. If the school has decided to no longer offer the classes she needed then it is her nursing programs responsibility to make concessions to make her program as close to what it was when she originally enrolled. To not do so would leave them in a very precarious an potential lawsuit situation. We are always very careful when changing our requirements to make sure we can accommodate anyone being caught up in the wash.
It is amazing how many ways our government can find to penalize the people who are trying----yet at the same time find ways to rewards those who abuse the system and do not try.

#11 ·
It is amazing how many ways our government can find to penalize the people who are trying----yet at the same time find ways to rewards those who abuse the system and do not try.

Agreed. And the problem is most of the people that these students deal with have nothing to do with the legislation that are making these asinine decisions. Look up Georgia Perimeter College as a good example. Largest enrollment in the history of the school, and just laid off 260 staff members because of ridiculous decisions made in upper administration.

Infuriating.

and back on topic, bump for Jim's bike sell.

#12 ·
Hi Jimmie,

Jim

Jim,
If I know anything about life at my age, it can be unpredictable, but in the midst of it, we have a command and a promise - isn't that true?! "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy path". I know you know that, so I only offer it as an encouragement and to say that I'll pray for you all regarding this "turn of events". God knows how to deal with this situation for your daughters and your visas. Keep the faith brother and continue to trust in His providence.
Tarek

#13 ·
Jim,
If I know anything about life at my age, it can be unpredictable, but in the midst of it, we have a command and a promise - isn't that true?! "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy path". I know you know that, so I only offer it as an encouragement and to say that I'll pray for you all regarding this "turn of events". God knows how to deal with this situation for your daughters and your visas. Keep the faith brother and continue to trust in His providence.
Tarek
Bless you...
We have spoken before and you know why we are here. Micah 7:8
Thank you for your encouragement much needed.

Jim

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.