2003 VTX vacuum line
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 VTX vacuum line

Default 2003 VTX vacuum line

does anyone know how or where the vacuum fuel line runs after leaving the back of the tank on a 2003 1300 S ? i found the T but one side of it is not connected causing the bike to start but after a few minutes of running dies and is almost impossible to restart ... the petcock has been replaced so i'm thinking this is the problem
    thanks
    chuck

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

The line that comes off the right rear side of the tank is a vent line. The T is left open to keep fuel from siphoning off the tank. The line should run to the bottom of the bike and be free of bends or kinks to allow the tank to vent.
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

Default thanks W9VD

looks like i'm still at a loss then ... starting to hate this bike .. i appreciate your help though ...

The 2003 vtx had fuel pumps that are known to go bad. Remove the pump system is what people have done. The pump isn't needed.

Default vtxrosa

do you think that's it ?? she will start and run, then dies after priming with starter fluid she will start and run anywhere once warm .... it's like after a cold start and after the fuel in the carb works it's way through then she hits a time where she gets no gas and once that is over come she runs fine ... i've read everything i can on it and thought it was possibly the petcock ... or possible a vacuum off ... what do you think?
    thanks
    chuck

Don't give up on your X, find and fix your problem and you will see what a great bike you have. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by vtxrosa View Post
    The 2003 vtx had fuel pumps that are known to go bad. Remove the pump system is what people have done. The pump isn't needed.
    Good catch. I did not even see the year. You really do not need the pump and if it isn't an issue now it may become one at some point.

Look here: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...l+pump+removal
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

Some 2003s had fuel pumps and some used vacuum activated peacocks. Honda dicontinued fuel pumps in 2003s midway through model year. Easy way to tell is to look at peacock and see if it one or two hoses coming out of it. Fuel pump models will have just one hose going to pump in front of battery box and non fuel pump will have one hose to carb and one vacuum hose coming off peacock. Also check wires coming into ECM on top of battery box for breaks where they connect to it. This too can cause intermittant problems that you describe.
    2003 vtx 1300s

It sample to make a test find a gas tank of small motor i take mine at a tool location center ( i use that tank each time i make wranch its easyer and you dont scratch the paint ) ex:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/picture....ictureid=16265

so plug it direct to the carb. then if it run make a second test and plug the test tank to the fuel pomp if it run the probleme is the petcock if it not run i will disconnect the fuel pomp and plug the petcock direct to the carb. and take of that sh*t you will have to do it some how .

PS You dont need the fuel filter go direct from the petcock to the carb.

Good luck
    Last edited by Xman/qc; 01-08-2011 at 10:51 AM.

If the petcock has been replaced and it has a fuel pump check to see if the right petcock was put on.

If a petcock with a small vacuum hose coming out of the back was put on, then remove the fuel pump and use gravity feed.
    Make sure a vacuum line is connected to the back of the petcock to a vacuum line to the carb or manifold.

If the petcock without vacuum line is installed, check your fuel pump, the fuel pump relay or fuse, or as stated before remove the fuel pump completely.
    2005 VTX1300C Roadburner Double Eagles ,
    Batwing, BadX double decker 1800C seat and lots of chrome. Riding DS Yokohama Avid S 205/70-15 with Dynabeads......Smooth Ridin
    ' VTXOA Inmate#37626
    2012 Victory Vision- Fits the Wife's butt just right! Plus a few others. I need to clean out

Default Thanks everyone

so from what i'm reading it is probably the fuel pump. for reference my 2003 is the carb with only one tube or no vacuum going to the carb. it is the exact model of carb that came off ... my next question would be can you by pass the fuel pump with out removing it? i've seen in the past that you have to remove the battery box to get to the pump is this correct?

hey i really appreciate all the help
    thanks again

Yes you can

Make shure to unplug the wire or the relay in the right side cover.
    Last edited by Xman/qc; 01-08-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Default XMAN/QC

is the relay under the chrome side pannel?

Yes under the chrome side cover .

Default thank you

If it will climb above 5 degrees here in indiana I'll see if I can find it. I appreciate your help

Yes - unplug the pump and runs a piece of 3/8 fuel line direct from the petcock to the carb. You will want to turn the fuel off when you park it.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

Default thanks again

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.