Honda VTX Forum banner

Seat pin mod for 2007 1300 "r"

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  House O' Pain 
#1 ·
I've searched and read a lot about the seat pin mod. I've even gone to a link to Bareass Chopper's seat pin mod.

I'm possibly just stupid but still am unclear of the process for the 1300 "R".

On the Bareass Chopper website as near as I can tell, I need a .8" long X 3/8" diameter pin.

I'm not sure If I'm drilling out the threads of the nut that the bolt goes into or not bust suspect I am.

For anybody with an "R" who's done this mod, please give me your help as I'm completely technically challenged.

thanks in advance for your patience.

Greg

#3 ·
Thanks for the help Bull, I appreciate your help.

I took out the seat bolts tonight with no trouble at all and I figure they're metric but about 5/16" so tomorrow I'll drop by the fastener place that we deal with a lot through work.

I figure about 9/32" should work but I'll know better tomorrow.

thanks again
Greg

#4 ·
I just did this mod last week, and after other user's input, I went with a 1/4" pin that I picked up from my local hardware store (ACE). The 1/4" pin allows you to NOT have to do any drilling on a stock seat, or the bolt holes on the bike itself for that matter. Therefore, the entire seat pin mod took me about 2 minutes to complete. 5/16" pins are supposed to be better, but they're much harder to come across, and I've had success thus far with the 1/4" ones. They're actually in there pretty tight, even without any grease. I have a 1300C, but I doubt it'd be different on an "R". Good luck, let us know.

#5 ·
Hey BBB you wouldn't happen to have a part number for that pin would ya? Or maybe a pic of what it looks like. I have an Ace around the cornner from me. I was thinking about doing this mod buy never actually knew what I was really looking for. A p/n would be perfect, then I can just walk in and say " I need 2 of these.". Lol. Thanks.

#6 ·
Hey BBB you wouldn't happen to have a part number for that pin would ya? Or maybe a pic of what it looks like. I have an Ace around the cornner from me. I was thinking about doing this mod buy never actually knew what I was really looking for. A p/n would be perfect, then I can just walk in and say " I need 2 of these.". Lol. Thanks.
I don't have a part number, but if you go to...

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/diy-projects-mods/seat-pin-mod/

it's the picture that's referred to as a "ball and detent pin". I asked the dude at ACE where they were, but he had never heard of a ball and detent pin. Anyway, they're over in the fastener section, which should be not too far from the nut and bolt section. I think they're about $3 or so a piece and if your ACE is anything like mine, they only have about 4 or 5 sizes to choose from. I went with the 1/4" ones. No problems. Good luck.

#9 ·
Yea, just pull the pin. I have an 06 R and I drilled out for 3/8 pins and bought some long enough cut them down and did the Tennex mod to them. After I drilled out the seat and frame brackets, I had to line it up and drill ream them both out together to allow the pin to go in and out without binding. It's been a few months and no problems whatsoever.
I have stock seats and did not do anything to the passenger pillion as yet, because as you say most postings are done to a C or an aftermarket seat. I don't know how well pins will hold the stock seat strap, seems like they would want to pull out.

#16 ·
Fancy up the ends

I copied :bowdown: TennX's idea and bought some chrome valve cover wing nuts to dress up the ends:

You just JB weld the 'Y' onto the top of the pin and it gives you more 'grip' when pulling them out, plus looks great!

Many auto parts stores stock these cheap.

Here's a link to buy some online:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/chrome-valve-cover-wing-nuts,690.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.