Honda VTX Forum banner

Help me by voting for my next trip destination

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  burntx 
#1 ·
Last year I had an unforgettable trip from TN to Big Sur, CA, and up Hwy 1.
This year I can't decide between three possible destinations for my trip.
Some of you guys have been to these places and I would appreciate your opinions.

Here are the three options that I'm considering for the trip this summer: :confused:
1. Key West, FL
2. The east coast from the Outer Banks north through Virginia Beach and maybe a bit more to the north.
I've been through VA a lot and have been down the Blue Ridge Pkwy twice, but not over on the coast.
3. Sturgis, SD area a week BEFORE the rally. There are lots of things to see around there.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Newfoundland, Nova scotia for the digby rally??? Love to do it myself. I would love to ride up to the site of the Vikings landings and village. But I like historical things. What do you like to do see/ coast line scenery. Arcadia National Park? Florida IMHO is boring riding, congested. Nice beaches and scenery in some places. The keys would be nice.

#3 ·
don't do it........

not sure about the carolinas as i have never been (yet), but Va Beach area is a mess. go there often. not my kind of riding anyways. north in to delaware is really just a straight ride in Pa.....and the first city you hit is chester city then philly. 95 is always messed up. if i may suggest, coming north, crossing west a ways, and come into Pa thru maryland and that will put you around Lancaster. while there are main highways, lots of roads to "get lost" on in that area. just depends on how far north you wanna go. of the 3 you have listed, i would pick sturgis.

#4 ·
Last year I had an unforgettable trip from TN to Big Sur, CA, and up Hwy 1.
This year I can't decide between three possible destinations for my trip.
Some of you guys have been to these places and I would appreciate your opinions.

Here are the three options that I'm considering for the trip this summer: :confused:
1. Key West, FL
2. The east coast from the Outer Banks north through Virginia Beach and maybe a bit more to the north.
I've been through VA a lot and have been down the Blue Ridge Pkwy twice, but not over on the coast.
3. Sturgis, SD area a week BEFORE the rally. There are lots of things to see around there.

Thanks!
I havent been on any of these rides...... HInt Hint..:joke:
If it were me id pick sturgis

#5 ·
Key West

That was a great trip.Instead of taking I-75 across to Miami drop down a few miles and take the Tamiami Trail (Rt. 41) I believe Naples, just south of Ft. Meyers across to Miami and them US 1 to Key West. A word of caution though. Tamiami Trail is a very desolate road in August when we went. Signs state in case of breakdown, stay in your vehicle. Very few houses, all with very long driveways. About 80 miles long so gas up at the station at the beginning of RT41. This is your ONLY gas available.Be as quick as you can because the mosquitoes are huge! Numerous airboat and swamp trips available along the way, but in August everything was closed. We did NOT see another vehicle the whole route! Needless to say we took I 75 the return trip because it was dark. PS. We left Key West early Sat. morning to beat the rush, we thought. Took us 7 hours to reach the mainland, mostly walking the bikes because of the traffic. We had evaporative vests, which we replenished every 2 hours. These were a life saver because we RARELY reached 40 m.p.h. before stopping for traffic.Key West is a fun place. I would like to ride to the OUTER BANKS to check it out though. Maybe this summer. Have fun! Round trip from N. KY. was close to 3000 miles via I-75, mostly, covering app. 500 miles a day..

#6 ·
Which one is furthest? That is the one I would go with! Florida seems kind of boring so it would be my last choice. VA is nice and there are a lot of other places you could go to around there like West Virginia, Tenn etc so it would be my second pick. Without a question it would be Sturgis as number 1. You are in different looking country at that point plus it would be nice to be there for the set up and before the prices go up. I was in Utah last year and loved how different it was then seeing trees and forest everywhere. Not better, not worse, just a different riding experience.

#9 ·
I haven't been to Key West (it's on my list), but I have been to the other two destinations.

In my opinion, South Dakota is a must-see state. Sturgis, Spearfish, Mt. Rushmore, The Badlands, Crazy Horse, Needles Pkwy, etc. are all within 100 miles of each other.

While you're in the area, I would also recommend checking out the Devil's Tower in Wyoming.

#10 ·
I have rode all of them. I would suggest taking the Sturgis the week before. I rode to Key West last year and it is a pretty boring ride. Nice to go to if you like looking at orange trees. There are more than one great ride at Sturgis and they are all close to one another.

#11 ·
For me I'd do the key west run cause I've already done Sturgis (also the week before). For you I would do Sturgis. Only prob is its hard to get there without having to pass through vast expanses of not much (Kansas Nebraska). The week before is a good time to go if you actually want to ride while out there and there's still things going on.

#12 ·
I have been looking at points of interest on the route through Florida. There are some things to see, but nothing like Sturgis. True, there are some pretty long stretches with no points of interest between here and Sturgis, but there are a couple AND once you get there, there are several awesome rides. Plus, it's on my list and I want to do the better ones first. Sturgis is solidifying for me thanks to your comments. :mcrider:

#14 ·
I am heading out to Sturgis area this summer around June. I've been looking at routes and attractions and it looks like there is a ton of things to do.. So that would probably be my suggestion as well.

#15 ·
The wife and I rode our bikes to Sturgis last year the week before and had a great time. Lots to see Devils tower Wyoming, Belle Fourche S.D. the geographic center of the U.S, Mount Rushmore, we went to the night lighting ceremony, Walls drug store, Bad Lands, etc. tons of great rides and scenery to see. We stayed in Rapid city and rode from there, no big crowds and easy to get everywhere. We put 1000 miles on the bikes the 3 or four days we were there. Just a note we started home the end of the week before the rally and had a hard time finding a room at hotels in north eastern Nebraska and had to ride about another 100 to 125 miles to find a room to spend the night.

#16 ·
Key West!

Key West in the summer! I spend the winter here in Clearwater,Fla. & have been there four times but always in the winter. I'd like to hear how it is in the summer. I think you could/should run some back roads from where you are to Homestead/Florida City. A couple of years ago when we crossed the Skyway Bridge from St. Petersburg the temp at the Toll Booth was 34 degrees STANDING STILL! It didn't get to 55-60 until we stopped for the night(Had wives with us) in Homestead/Florida City. It was alot warmer on the way back until we hit Daytona hung a left & headed back across the state toward Cedar Key(also a long cold ride)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.