Honda VTX Forum banner

Tire Comparison.. HELP?

6K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  rangers4u 
#1 ·
This might seem relatively rudimentary for a lot of you but I need some help with selecting tires. I have a 2002 1800S that is due for new tires.
I believe that it came with Bridgestone Exedras and they seem to have lasted pretty well but I'm having trouble finding them locally.

Right now I find some Dunlop K555's that seem very cheap, like just over $300 for both front and rear installed..
Sounds to good to be a good deal..

What are the best tires out there? What are the worst?
And Why?

The riding I typically do is pretty curvy, at least that's what I look for.. lots of leans. I often have a passenger, so I want good, reliable, safe tires for those long week long trips..

I'm interested in your suggestions.

#3 ·
Most of the big brand tires are comprable just stay away from cheap tires ....they are just that.As stated Metzler ,Avon and even Dunlop makes better tires than the oem's.I have had good luck with the Dunlop Elite 3 but some have had problems with them.Metzler 880's are good but I couldn't find a set for the spokes when I needed them.

#7 ·
Dunlop K555 are for crap.... have an '02 1800S also and wore out one in around 5k. Metzlers are good from my experience.. I have a set of Shinko tires on
now and they are doing great. People may say they are cheap but they are IMO the "origional" metric tire. Been around a long time. Originated in Japan
and are still made to Japanese specs.. But to each his own. I am going darkside on rear and keeping Shinko on front.

#8 ·
Dunlop K555 are for crap.... have an '02 1800S also and wore out one in around 5k. Metzlers are good from my experience.. I have a set of Shinko tires on
now and they are doing great. People may say they are cheap but they are IMO the "origional" metric tire. Been around a long time. Originated in Japan
and are still made to Japanese specs.. But to each his own. I am going darkside on rear and keeping Shinko on front.
I am planning on giving the Michelin Commanders a shot next week...

#9 ·
IMHO the only tire that looks 'right' on a spoke wheel are WWW

Get your bike a set of Wide White Walls and make that baby POP!

I've been running Dunlops WWW for the S model bikes for yrs and get 10k or better out of both front & rear tires.

Shinko makes their 777 series tires in WWW that fit the S models... though I've never used them... they are I believe the only option over Dunlop

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/402/19719/ITEM/Shinko-777-Whitewall-Rear-Tire.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/402/19718/ITEM/Shinko-777-Whitewall-Front-Tire.aspx

#12 ·
I have always ran METZ on the VTX and loved them but my new Victory came with Dunlop Elite III and so far I have no complaints from them. They way they have been sticking to road in the rain has been better than I expected so they will do fine once it dries up. If the handling holds up and I get a little better mileage of the EIII I might switch over the VTX to them.

#14 ·
"Harder" compound tires will last longer, but it may be a trade off for softer compound traction. Somewhere in the middle lies compromise between traction and mileage. I have NO problem with a lower mileage tires knowing I'm getting good traction. Dunlops come standard on Harley, and they're good enough for me. I don't know anything about the Shinko's.

As mentioned, spoke wheels go well with whitewalls. I am a firm believer in this... but the color of your paint and look you are going for will determine if this is right for you... it was for me. I run Metzeler rears (excellent tire) and Dunlop fronts. Dunlop makes 17" whitewall for front, Metzeler does not. No issues whatsover mixing. So if you run whitewalls, then I highly recommend this setup.

Cheers!

#15 ·
IMHO the only tire that looks 'right' on a spoke wheel are WWW

Get your bike a set of Wide White Walls and make that baby POP!

I've been running Dunlops WWW for the S model bikes for yrs and get 10k or better out of both front & rear tires.

Shinko makes their 777 series tires in WWW that fit the S models... though I've never used them... they are I believe the only option over Dunlop

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/402/19719/ITEM/Shinko-777-Whitewall-Rear-Tire.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/402/19718/ITEM/Shinko-777-Whitewall-Front-Tire.aspx
I AGREE, i loved the look of my bike with the WWW but they were expensive and after wearing out the NEW Dunlop WWW K555 at around 5k miles I decided
to heck with that and am going darkside on the rear and running my Shinko on front.
Who knows, may buy some of those whitewall rings and see how they look???

#16 ·
Double DS here. 205/60/16 GY Triple tread rear at36# and the front is a reverse rotation, rear Mich Pilot Active 130/8/18 at 40#
VERY happy with the handling and feel.

#17 ·
"Harder" compound tires will last longer, but it may be a trade off for softer compound traction. Somewhere in the middle lies compromise between traction and mileage. I have NO problem with a lower mileage tires knowing I'm getting good traction. Dunlops come standard on Harley, and they're good enough for me. I don't know anything about the Shinko's.

As mentioned, spoke wheels go well with whitewalls. I am a firm believer in this... but the color of your paint and look you are going for will determine if this is right for you... it was for me. I run Metzeler rears (excellent tire) and Dunlop fronts. Dunlop makes 17" whitewall for front, Metzeler does not. No issues whatsover mixing. So if you run whitewalls, then I highly recommend this setup.

Cheers!

First post on this great forum.
Got my '02 1800s in Aug Last year with 7k and stock Dunnies dated 02. Put a further 3k on those tires, no issues. Thats good enough for me, if I get 10k from the tire, I'm happy.I havn't tried the metz or avons, so I can't judge. Decided to put the WWW Dunlops 2 days ago, I just can't resist that look! Time will tell if they give good service or not.
Stay safe!

PS. Mmusicman, the pics of your magnificent bike inspired me to put the www on mine. Thanks for sharing!

Attachments

#19 ·
Stock Dunlop was bad with 5,800 miles. I put a Metzler ME880 on the front last March and now the mileage is 16,823 so I got 11,000 miles on the Metzler. I just ordered the Pirrelli Night Dragon Because I want to see which tire gets better mileage. I keep my front inflated to 40psi and check my pressure weekly. Just did 300 miles yesterday to give the front a proper last ride. No blisters yet, but it can't be too far from happening. I am happy with the Metzler, but I want to see how the Pirrelli will perform. I would like to thank all of the members who answer the questions like these that some might think "Not Again" but the information contained in threads like these really help some of us make informed decisions for our VTX's.

#20 ·
I am planning on giving the Michelin Commanders a shot next week...
I loved the COmmander II's when I had them on my 1300c. The only problem is that they don't come in the right size. But if you look into the actual specs and widths of the tires, you'll find some that come pretty damned close. For example, my 1300c ran a 110 on the front. Well, Michelin's 100 actually has a 114 width.

#21 ·
As already mentioned WWW for spoke wheels
2004 1300S
Running metz rear and dunlop front

#22 ·
Am biased as well on the look of the WWW on spoked wheels.

Run through two set of Dunlops 404 and 555 respectively for my 02 and am happy overall with their performance AND looks. Regular black wall tire guys don't get compliments like, man those tires look amazing. Especially after a good cleaning. I ran close to 700 miles yesterday in my estimate and had a great ride with the Dunnies.

Would change all over to Metzeler if they made a matching front but oh well......will stay the course, and keep the cleaner close by.

#23 ·
I have you know after I got back I went to a friends birthday party and got a couple of compliments on the blackwall tires. One of them was " Are you crazy riding with that front tire" and the other was "Do you know your front tire is bald?" Lol. Ok so they weren't exactly compliments. Lol

#26 ·
Tires--'04 VTX 1300 S(R)

I had new Metz Marathons put on before a trip last summer, OK to CA and back (to see the grandkids). When I got back they looked just broken in and I have not had to replace them yet (about 12k miles on 'em). I figure maybe toward the middle of summer they will get to that point. I am just getting warmed up for the riding season now. No complaints on handling or traction. I've ridden in the rain about 5 or 6 times and had no problems though I did slow a bit. I have spokes and the guy in Pryor, OK that put the tires and tubes on did a real good job. He made absolutely sure the tubes were exactly centered and the tires balanced well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.