Honda VTX Forum banner

Premium or unleaded

2K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Andrewd1300c 
#1 ·
? ive been running nothing but premium. is this correct?

#5 ·
Nope, your VTX is a low compression engine and was designed to run on the lowest octane available. Read the above posted link for more on why you don't have to run premium
:agree:Just had a new VTX owner arrive at the airport yesterday and during our conversation he told me that the previous owner said to run 91 or higher. When I asked where he saw that he pointed out the sticker that says 91RON minimum octane. The difference between these has been well talked about here and are two different numbers. The conversion is about 4-5 points lower when compared to the numbers we see at the pump. So the 91 RON is equivalent to 87 pump gas here in the US. The owners manual says 86 or higher and I have to tell you, after running nothin but 87 for half he year last year I saw no difference in gas mileage and a big difference in operating cost. In addition, I saw no change in performance nor have I hear any knocking or pinging.

#9 ·
Bjames
Someone out there correct me if I am wrong but the engines on the 06 VTX regardless of the C or R designation should be identical. Page 78 of the owner manual for my 06 1300 R says 86 or higher.​

I don't know about the 86 or higher but I do know that after 107K miles on mine and only running regular(wheather it was E10 or not). I have not had any engine problems with my bike, I will continue to run the regular gas in her.​

#14 ·
I ran premium for the first year I had the bike then I joined the VTXOA and found I did not have to and then went to regular, NO difference in the way the bike ran. If you want to see a difference re-jet the bike install Glen's perm A/F tool and tune it properly, this will wake up the beast. :thumbup:

#15 ·
A higher-octane gasoline prevents knocking by either slowing the burn rate of the gas, or by increasing the difficulty of lighting it up. The idea here is to prevent the gas from burning too fast, and causing knocking. So the octane number has no bearing on the quality of the gas.

Don't believe me? Read the link posted by Justa_Poser. It was originally posted by long time VTXOA friend, Tapper.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...-VTX-By-Tapper

And I recommend (Putting concrete in your handlebars)

#21 ·
Remember when all you had to choose from was Regular or Ethyl and it was only 25 cents a gallon:rolleyes:
And if you bought a full tank they gave you a free glass!

#24 ·
A higher-octane gasoline prevents knocking by either slowing the burn rate of the gas, or by increasing the difficulty of lighting it up. The idea here is to prevent the gas from burning too fast, and causing knocking. So the octane number has no bearing on the quality of the gas.

Don't believe me? Read the link posted by Justa_Poser. It was originally posted by long time VTXOA friend, Tapper.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...-VTX-By-Tapper

And I recommend (Putting concrete in your handlebars)
Thus lowering your overall MPG. Slower burn rate means you need more fuel. This is the reason E85 is only practical to run in your vehicle (not bike) when the cost is over 25% less than regular unleaded. The octane of E85 is over 100, and will get you roughly 25% less MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.