Ok I posted this up on the VTXCafe. Im kinda new to the VTXOA, but I need some help, grab your ....
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE POST, I KNOW ITS LONG BUT THE INFO SHOULD HELP.
- I dont need to hear "check the ECM wires". This issue is beyond the obvious disconnected wire. If it is a wire and/or the ECM its not that obvious.
Ok I think the most important thing to note is that all of the problems are intermittent, they come and go with no apparent correlation. When I bought the bike it had 30,000 miles and was bone stock besides slip on exhaust, engine lighting, and alarm.
Some days it runs perfect, absolutely perfect. And some days it doesn't. And I cant figure out why. You win if you can help.
- Idles rough, not terrible just uneven. The exhaust hits a rhythm for a few beats then misses.
- Engine vibrates more (the girls love it, I dont), its not convulsing just like its out of sync and slightly unbalanced.
- Engine feels like its missing, or weak has weak spark.
- Runs hot shortly after the idle starts acting up. Temp light doesnt pop on, just noticeably hotter. Fan pops on constantly at lights.
- Take off isn't smooth, doesn't bog down, more like its fighting to move, lacks power.
- Each gear feels shorter, it bogs down at the bottom of the gear and I have to shift earlier than I normally would.
- The top end lacks power. Doesnt bog down, slowly fights to increase speed.
- The symptoms almost seem like a burnt or stuck exhaust valve (to give you an idea, dont think this is the problem).
- It always starts easy, doesn't need choke (since scar), never dies. Just doesn't run right.
The Intermittent Part:
- One day it will purr like kitten and ride like a raped ape, and then one day I will start it up bad,right away the idle is off.
- It goes away on its own sometimes, other times Ill try to fix the problem. Dozen times I thought I fixed it, but it always comes back.
I Have Tried:
- Checked ECM and surrounding wires. Because its intermittent electrical seems likely. All wires were plugged in, no corrosion.
- The wires to the ECM were kinked, straightening them out didnt help at all.
- The basics like different brands gas, oil, plugs, Seafoam, etc.
- I installed new vacuum lines, vent line, spark plugs, etc.
- Scar to tune the carb, with Decap (when it runs good its great, when its bad its the same as always).
- Changed to HK exhaust and installed new crush gaskets.
- Rerouted the crankcase vent hose with a filter. Carb was sucking a quart of oil vapor a month.
- Valve adjustment (mechanic was recommended from a here).
- I changed the coolant and burped the system.
- Battery is new, connections are tight.
Things I Noticed That May (or may not) Be Relevant:
- When I bought the bike it had an alarm system and engine LED's that no longer worked. I have removed the extra wiring.
- The ECM wires were all intact but were all kinked too. Straightened them out, no change.
- The spark plugs look ok (lean but Scar shouldve fixed it). Changing plugs didnt help, I tried 3 different brands.
- The whole engine gets very, very hot. Feels like the Front Left and Right Rear plug areas aren't as hot as the opposite sides.
- The bike still has the Paired Valve System.
- The flow from the front cylinder seems much stronger than the rear but, both cylinders feel equally hot.
- A little coolant leaks from the overflow when its turned off after running hot. Temp light has never come on.
- The intermittent, come & go behavior of the problem makes it unlikely to be anything adjustable, or mechanical failure because some days its perfect.
- Most likely culprit is the wiring,ignition system, or ECM itself. But thats a big area to troubleshoot.
- Plausible that its fuel blockage or the air quaility making the difference, seems like that would make is run rough, but not uneven (if that makes sense).
- The paired valve system could be faulty causing some of the symptoms.
Im at my wits end, if I cant figure out exactly what it is then I am debating just replacing the whole wiring harness and ignition system and hoping for the best....
At this point any feedback, ideas, help would be much appreciated . Whether Im way off or on the right track, Im open to any and all help.
Thanks in advance guys