bug zappers.... black light or white light?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bug zappers.... black light or white light?

Question bug zappers.... black light or white light?

The black light (UV) is supposed to be 40% better at attracting, according to the STINGER brand bug lights. i have never owned anything but a black light bug zapper and am wondering what experience you guys/gals have had. this is the one i have.... ( i have a small backyard ), its the stinger uvb45 ( i think)

also i read you should replace the bulb annually,,,, does the black light bulb actually "go bad" other than just burning out completely? it looks like it works the same as last year

You can't take it with you...

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Iíve read in the past that bug zappers kill a ridiculous amount of insects that eat mosquitoes and very few mosquitoes (if any) are killed by bug zappers.

Quote Originally Posted by SummervilleMike View Post
    Iíve read in the past that bug zappers kill a ridiculous amount of insects that eat mosquitoes and very few mosquitoes (if any) are killed by bug zappers.

If you are looking to keep the mosquitoes away, I spray the scrubs with an insecticide, and then use deet on us, when we go outside in the evening. I have found this to work the best. I work as an exterminator and have seen people spend BIG dollars for no results.

If you really want to get rid of mosquitos......go to bugsbite.com see if there is a someone in your area. I am a mosquito authority owner/applicator, in north Alabama. It will keep the bugs out of the yard...guarantied! No stinkin deet and its all pet and kid friendly.
    Life is not measured by how many breathes you take, but by how many moments take your breathe away.

I don't have any expertise on the technical aspects of bug zappers, but they are great if you like to sit in the back yard drinking a beer and watching the bugs get fried!

Banned

A bud'o mine has a bug machine that he sets off to the side of his back yard that attracts sketters AWAY from where the family sits.

Problem is that the bugs are going to pass you on their way to the zapper - and you may be too good to pass up.
    [SIGPIC]
    '03 Red 1300-s Retro.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by woody3 View Post
    Problem is that the bugs are going to pass you on their way to the zapper - and you may be too good to pass up.

Then again,..maybe not as it seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by woody3 View Post
    Then drink more beer! They'll still bite but you won't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Xridinfireman View Post
    If you really want to get rid of mosquitos......go to bugsbite.com see if there is a someone in your area. I am a mosquito authority owner/applicator, in north Alabama. It will keep the bugs out of the yard...guarantied! No stinkin deet and its all pet and kid friendly.
    well i checked, but it looks like this company is a southern thing.....

I like the one I have that looks like a tennis raquet. Battery powered. You swing it at the little bustards....ZAP. Gives you a challenge.
    Liberal logic: If we could just pass a law making it a crime to commit a crime, all crime will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Xridinfireman View Post
    You have a PM.

2003 VTX1800 ARRRGH

VTX BEATS HARLEY and Hitler is Pissed!
    http://www.break.com/usercontent/201...wasted-1912477

Red Knights MC
    "343"

I studied the research on these gadgets when my employer was considering getting into the bug zapper business. Summary of research: they don't work. They have absolutely no impact on the insect population in an area as small as 1/4 acre. They actually attract bugs. The best thing you could do with these things is buy several, and give them to your neighbors.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by saliva2002 View Post
    well i checked, but it looks like this company is a southern thing.....

I bet your local pest control company does it. Give them a buzz.
    Life is not measured by how many breathes you take, but by how many moments take your breathe away.

I have to agree with many, those electric bug zappers don't do much to the stinging/bitting bugs. Mostly moths and other less bothersome insects. There are those expensive butane or propane mosquito catchers that do work, but it ain't cheap.

What part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand?

For flies, I have a "fly shooter" Effective, and a lot of fun.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...irs/148067.htm
    Liberal logic: If we could just pass a law making it a crime to commit a crime, all crime will stop.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.