Honda VTX Forum banner

Idle high

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  WSL91 
#1 ·
Even when it is just cool outside, when I first start bike, very high sounding idle for maybe 5 minutes. With no throttle, it moves at 15 mph until it warms up a few more minutes. My other vtx did not do this. Before looking at manual which would probably give rpm figures and attach a tach instructions, thought I'd ask if this is normal, easy fix?

Maurice

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing, Maurice. Always thought it was normal until the engine got to operating temp. Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this.

#3 ·
That's part of having EFI...the ECU controls how long it runs at a high idle, to warm up the engine. I know that the 2 laps around my complex that I was able to do on my bike, I was doing like 20 in 1st gear, due to the idle.

#4 ·
I had the same 'problem'. A very high idle is not normal except at freezing temperature. It went to 1600 rpm(digital tach), cold engine, outside temperature 20 °C, returning to 850 rpm when engine has warmed up. Remove the airbox to expose the throttle body. Spray some UD 40 in the hole where the end of the wax valve is visible(arrow). Now use compressed air to remove dirt that has accumulated in the hole. In my case this was the perfect solution. Now I get about 1100 rpm at 20°C outside, cold engine, like it used to be.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Gauge

#6 ·
I had the same 'problem'. A very high idle is not normal except at freezing temperature. It went to 1600 rpm(digital tach), cold engine, outside temperature 20 °C, returning to 850 rpm when engine has warmed up. Remove the airbox to expose the throttle body. Spray some UD 40 in the hole where the end of the wax valve is visible(arrow). Now use compressed air to remove dirt that has accumulated in the hole. In my case this was the perfect solution. Now I get about 1100 rpm at 20°C outside, cold engine, like it used to be.

View attachment 39634
Thanks, I will try it. Can't hurt. Makes no sense other vtx 1800 did not do it, same air filter, pipes.

Maurice

#7 ·
I bought my F new and in the real cold it starts at 2500 untill iwarms up then gradually drops. Personally I think its too high

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.