Honda VTX Forum banner

Engine Flush, has anyone had a bad experience?

4K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  motorcyclereb 
#1 ·
I posted here about a month ago about a 2007 VTX 1300R with only 60 miles on it. I found it at a dealership and checked it over thoroughly. They said the tank needed coated and was done properly and they changed the oil and cleaned the carb. I looked at the oil and it was very black, I brought that to their attnetion. I went back about a week later and put a deposit on the bike and am going to pick it up next week. I just called and talked to the service manager today and thats when he told me that they used a motorcycle engine flush in it to clean up the sludge from sitting, probably because I complained about the oil color. They did say that they drained the flush and then put oil in and ran it for a short while and then changed it again. The head mechanic assured me that the flush was made for motorcycles and would do no harm. It is a reputable honda dealer in Pittsburgh and has been there for at least 30 years.

My question is has anyone ever had trouble after doing something like this? I wish they wouldn't have done this, but what is done is done.

I am going to pick it up next week and I plan on riding it home (50 miles) and drain the oil and change it again. I will have a 30 day warranty on it and plan on putting as many miles on it as I can during that 30 days.

#27 ·
Now that you brought that up, Possible ICM was maybe replace or flipped in testing another?
I'm thinking the Dash data is stored there. Regardless - just wish it didn't need CSI to make sense.
Is other data details of Scoots ID stored in it?
Great question! Does anyone know any more about where data might be stored on mileage?

Also in another post a fella had great info on dating a tire, I'm going to look into that one!

Thanks a LOT,
Rick

#28 ·
Great question! Does anyone know any more about where data might be stored on mileage?

Also in another post a fella had great info on dating a tire, I'm going to look into that one!

Thanks a LOT,
Rick

the odometer info is stored in the speedo not the ecu. they could easily replace the speedo then put 60 miles on it

#30 ·
"Greg Riddle;3700333]i dont care how hard someones rides a bike for 60 miles the oil cant turn black and sludgy that quick." Six years of NOT riding, but going out and starting the cold motor and letting it idle for 15 minutes like some idgits do would turn the oil to a carbon and moisture contaminated swamp. Then, the fuel got so old and cruddy that it would not start and the stooge finally sold it to the dealer. The best flush is this case is to go through a couple or few rapid oil changes with top notch oil. The fuel tank needs to be inspected often be sure the rust cancer does not return, but a new fuel tank or salvage one should be possible if that happens. My X is 8+ years-old and not a spec of corrosion in tank, but I ride it and treat the fuel for winter. prs

#31 ·
i dont care how hard someones rides a bike for 60 miles the oil cant turn black and sludgy that quick." Six years of NOT riding, but going out and starting the cold motor and letting it idle for 15 minutes like some idgits do would turn the oil to a carbon and moisture contaminated swamp. Then, the fuel got so old and cruddy that it would not start and the stooge finally sold it to the dealer. The best flush is this case is to go through a couple or few rapid oil changes with top notch oil. The fuel tank needs to be inspected often be sure the rust cancer does not return, but a new fuel tank or salvage one should be possible if that happens. My X is 8+ years-old and not a spec of corrosion in tank, but I ride it and treat the fuel for winter. prs
Yes, I will agree on this and that may very well be the case. Some one that purchased a his first bike during the big motorcycle boom, and then after a few weekends of riding parked it never to ride it again. But does go out to start it up thinking this is the best thing for him to do. This will also cause the rust in the tank, and exhaust :thumbup:

#32 ·
i cold motor and letting it idle for 15 minutes like some idgits do would turn the oil to a carbon and moisture contaminated swamp.
Engine - Oil - Coolant - all at 190 - 210, not possible for any remaining moisture to be present after 1/2 hour.

The same engine sits below 30F down to below zero in outdoors for two months will have hard frost on every part in the engine if it's above oil level -
There would be photo of it here if camera was in hand while staring at internal parts that moment.

Fire it up - to the same full temps for 1/2 hour - no trace of moisture is left.
Engine stays hot to touch for 4 hours.
Floor fans keep fuel to room temp vs baked.

Ice crystals if not removed once a month in that environment will easily cut through the thin film of oil coating the month before - no problem.
Leave it - will form rust - the pits seen in the metal & aluminum not heavily treated.
Not a huge deal - but damn ugly impossible to get rid of damaged surface once it sets in.

Sitting on kickstand leaning - now those end shaft bearings are exposed long term.
Not mine.

Out west - never below 40 or high humidity - not a problem.
Their worst enemy, fine sand in everything.

Marine engines sitting in salt water are alway run up to full temp -
if not run up - Timers cycle hot oil through them as if running.

Brand new engine with 60 miles - 2-4 minute idle only stirred up the moisture
already present in the engine -
the exhaust gases creates moisture in pipes - yes.
Quite obvious dripping out.
Not after 600-900 degrees.

Not possible to get tainted oil run 1/2 hr, I don't care how retarded key holder is.
Speculation? Not in real time.

#33 ·
I drove in to the dealer today to date the tires, I'll post a pic of the date stamp on the tire. The tires look as if they have 60 miles on them and no more. Both are 2007 but different weeks.

I'm going to purchase this and I'll let you all know how it turns out after I've put a few hundred miles on it. Right now we have 8" of snow at my place and I'm hoping its at least 50 degrees by next week.

Thanks for all of the posts.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.