rattling when hit bumps??
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rattling when hit bumps??

Default rattling when hit bumps??

hey all i have recently developed a sound coming from the rear of the bike.i notice when i hit some pretty good bumps i hear some kind of noise like something is loose..i checked my shock bolts and they seem pretty tight. also checked exhaust and all seems well. i do and can feel a little sometnig in the floor boards like something is loose but it dosent feel like the boards are loose if that makes sence..06 1800n.thanks
    06 1800n2 titanium

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

are your shock bushings shot? If the bolt is not centered in the shock eye then they need to be replaced. I don't know where the picture is but someone will be along shortly with it.

Woody's fairing, Parrot Asteroid, Rockford Fosgate 300x4 and Polk db521 speakers. All mounted and wired. Needs paint!

Default Re

I found mine to be from the cover under the key on left side, little o rings wore out
    Last edited by Gsebring; 05-31-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalten View Post
    are your shock bushings shot? If the bolt is not centered in the shock eye then they need to be replaced. I don't know where the picture is but someone will be along shortly with it.

i did notice that one of the bolts on the upper shock did not appear to be directly centered into or through the bushing..kinda looked like it was lopsided or somethin.
    06 1800n2 titanium

Try washing it had same problem (front fender after I painted it) took 5 sec. to find

Default rattle

My helmet lock always comes loose and rattles when I hit a bump.

I had the same type of "rattle". It sounded like a metal part was loose somewhere at the rear of the bike. Checked all bolts......nothing found. Finally replaced the shock bushings after reading some comments here on the forum and that took care of the problem.

2005 1300R, 2007 1800T2
    Viet Nam Veteran (Medical Corps and Engineering Corps)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMOEDTJ View Post
    i did notice that one of the bolts on the upper shock did not appear to be directly centered into or through the bushing..kinda looked like it was lopsided or somethin.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...shock+bushings

Saddle bag brackets?
    2005 VTX1800R Spec 2 Titanium Pearl
    2013 F6B Deluxe - Black - http://hondaf6b.com/album.php?albumid=106
    RIP JDJ / You will be missed brother, but never forgotten

Some load?
    Last edited by fastspek; 02-04-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    2003 VTX 1800C (forever)
    2002 HD FLSTF since 07/2008

" Today you raised more questions than giving answers "

i vote on the shock bushing .there are better replacements for the bushings that can be used.there are threads that will tell where to get them.the shock bushings can cause other problems too,like front end wobble.i was in a curve about 5 years ago on another vtx that i owned and i had a wobble that put me in a swampy area and in the hospital.afterward i found out that the bushings could have been the problem.sure enough they were shot.when i bought this used vtx about 3 months ago it was one of the first things i checked and sure enough they were gone also.i replaced with the hard vinyl ones and i think that will solve the problem.i believe i got them from mcmaster carr or somewhere like that.ive done so much to this bike that i cant keep up with it all.but after a broke back and sternum and broke scapula i think its worth the added cost to replace them.

btw after i replaced them on the first bike i never had the wobble problem again.

I had the rear passanger pillon bolt come loose which made quite a rattle when hitting bumbs. May be worth a check.

Yeah I replaced my shock bushings with the newergreen ones that Honda had for the c model, it didn't stop the rattling but did notice a big improvement in the handling of the bike.i got her tore all apart right now for paint and didn't notice any loose bolts holding on the fenders intact it took a impact driver to get em all out. So I don't have a clue what it could be.
    06 1800n2 titanium

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.