Honda VTX Forum banner

First time down

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Angelic 
#1 ·
Guys, went out for a nice ride today and ending up laying my 1300 down for the first time. I had two vehicles in front of me and all of a sudden saw nothing but tail lights. I over reacted, hit the brakes and did a low side slide. I'm ok with just some raspberrys and a sore ankle from the bike on me. The 1300 logo on the trank was perfectly positioned and protected the tank from the slide. Looking for a new 1300 tank emblem and a foot peg. It also bent the rear brake lever. Question is, can it be hammered back or will it need to be replaced?

The good Lord was with me today and yes I was probably following too close. Any help on the above would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
1st. Glad your ok! That could have easily turned out different. 2nd. If the metal isn't bent too badly you can probably put it in a vise grip and bend it back. If its a bad bend then trying to bend it back will weaken the metal and it could fail when you really need it. However I am no expert so please take that into consideration. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best. Good luck and be safe out there.

#3 ·
when I wrecked, i bent my rear brake pedal too. . . proper application of a steel pipe slid over the foot peg portion of it aided in bending it back where it's supposed to be. . . that said, if you have any hesitation of the structural integrity of the metal, replace it, I think HDL was selling it for $50??

As far as the emblem is concerned: HDL was selling them for $15. . . to remove it, use a hair dryer to heat up the double sided tape then peel. It takes some work, that tape they used was some stubborn. Some guys here outright REMOVE the emblems, so you might be able to score a set for cost of shipping or gratis depending on the seller. Check the WTB and the classifieds board (might post there too)

Glad you are OK, it could have been much worse. Glad it wasn't.

#4 ·
glad you are OK.. as far a bent metal... go slow.. going fast can break it instead of bending it back.. but any question ... replace it.. it is a brake after all.

#5 ·
Glad all is OK. Those cars will outbreak you most every time. Give thyself lots of room. Sliding not much good for stopping.........ride safe safe travels

#6 ·
There's been an awful lot of accidents already this Spring. Combine riders eager to get out after a long delayed Spring and the normal "cagers can't see you" which is at its height this time of year and you have a very bad combination.

Ride safe all!

#7 ·
Glad youre ok to tell about it. Bikes can be fixed or replaced. Get the bike patched back up and get back on her:thumbup:

#11 ·
I took the emblems off my 1300C. You can have them for the shipping. I'll pull them out and see what kind of shape they are in. PM me with your address.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.