Touring: Honda Goldwing vs. Victory Vision (hmmm??)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touring: Honda Goldwing vs. Victory Vision (hmmm??)

Default Touring: Honda Goldwing vs. Victory Vision (hmmm??)

Deciding on whether or not to buy a touring bike this fall. Narrowed it down to the Wing or the Vision. Help me decide.

PS.........don't get me wrong, I love my VTX, however I have started making some very long trips and I want a little more comfort.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

2006 VTX 1800C (Gone)

VTXOA 'Members Who Can Help' Map
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
    -- Emo Philips

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Do you like the sound and feel of a V-twin? Then the Wing is not for you.

Go test ride them both, both a great bikes. The Visions saddlebags are a tad small, don;t hold much. The Wing engire has you splayed out like you're on an OB/Gyn table. Each have their good and bad points.

Ride both, and see what fits you best

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Other than maybe the new BMW K1600, there's nothing in the Wings category engineering wise. Blow the doors off anything else on the road. But for me, about as comfortable as a crotch-rocket.

99 XLH883
    2012 FLHR Road King
    Sgt USMC 67-71 PGR

I have rode a few wings but they are always set up for shorter dudes. I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam. Made me feel like I was sitting on the front fender . I have started riding with a lot of folks with CB's and such (they all have wings).

Whichever bike fits my body the most comfortable is the one I will go with.

Gee, making decisions such as these makes me realize how great life really is................

Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks View Post
    Other than maybe the new BMW K1600, there's nothing in the Wings category engineering wise. Blow the doors off anything else on the road. But for me, about as comfortable as a crotch-rocket.

The BMW looks really sweet, however I live in Southeastern Kentucky and we don't have a dealership anywhere in sight. We have a Victory dealer about two hours from here and of course Honda dealerships are everywhere.

Default hmmm......

If it's a touring bike whats the difference where the dealers are? You surely aren't going to "tour" to the dealer? When I had my K12 LT I used to schedule oil and tire changes with a dealer some where along my planned itinerary. Then I could borrow a beater bike or rent a daily car and check out the local scenery.

Looks like the fastest thing going as a true touring bike is the new BMW 1600 GTL with 160 hp? I like my wing and it gets along ok but, it can get a little heavy by the end of a long day.

With all of the many options available for the VTX I might just make it into a convertabike and tour on it? The ones who have bought new Visions seem to like them and the comfort and power are nice. I test rode a Vision and it was a capable touring rig.

Nice thing about a wing is you can add a small trailer and tote a lot more stuff as well as keeoing the topcase and bags for cameras and rain gear and jackets etc.
    2009 HD FLHTC Classic
    2008 Gold Wing
    2006 VTX !800 Neo
    2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

For me:

Goldwing - uncomfortable riding position. And a tad bulky it seems to me.
    Vision - Pathetic waste of storage space for a tourer.
    Crosscountry - Seems to be the best fit for ME.

Your opinion may be much different.
    Back on the road. 2003 lightly moddified 118ci C model.

Yep, I prefer the Cross Country as well. MUCH better saddlebag size on teh CC over teh Vision. HUGE actually. You can add the trunk and the CB to teh CC and teh CB can be added to teh Vision as well.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Quote Originally Posted by cybrhick View Post
    For me:

Goldwing - uncomfortable riding position. And a tad bulky it seems to me.
    Vision - Pathetic waste of storage space for a tourer.
    Crosscountry - Seems to be the best fit for ME.

Your opinion may be much different.
    Yeah BUT, you'll be on yer 3/4th CC when the rings are just seatin on the GW

99 XLH883
    2012 FLHR Road King
    Sgt USMC 67-71 PGR

Might want to take a look at a Rocket tourer. Sort of different but sits REAL nice. Big boy toy for sure.
    Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. Now have H4 HID & LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Now everyone, the new 2012 Vision may have a bigger bag.... With all the complaints Vic has had over this and the responce of the Cross Country, they might somehow put a XC bag on the Vision...

I Am A Down and Out "CHROM WHORE"
    Keep it Up Strait

I was thinking the same thing, matter of fact asked the Vic rep why they didn't do that. He didn't give me much of an answer. I also think the CC would benefit from the adjustable windshield from the Vision too.
    Padre Blanco
    2007 VTX 1300 R Titanium, Honda 24L Bags, Memphis Shades Shield, Kury Flame Grips, Mustang Vintage Sport Touring Seat, Progressive Front Springs and Alls Balls Tapered Bearings

Did the switch to the Vision tour premium last year from a VTX 1300. My wife rides a GL1800 and I have to tell you that at 6'3", I can't seem to get comfortable on the Wing whereas the Vision has lots of room to stretch. Thew power is adequate for a bike of this size right out of the box. It can be set up for pulling a trailer and so far has proven to be reliable. Again, as others have mentioned, it is a preference thing...if I had to do it all over again, there would be another Vision in the garage.

Note: I did look at the CC but I found the Vision offered better rider protection and I liked the fixed fairing better. It seemed to make the front end feel lighter (definetely doesn't feel like 900 lbs).

Just my $.02
    Cheers!
    2006 VTX1300T, HDL light bar, MS Batwing and Champion Hardbags. Too many chrome accessories to list. NOW GONE!!

I dont know much about either bike. I do know two fellows that switched from GW to Vics and are wanting to go back. Not the Vision.

Got the Cross Country and have been very satisfied with it. Have the feel of a tourning bike on the HWY and the feel of a cruiser around town. Might want to give it a try while you are there.

The Vision... Made In The USA.

Why keep the Japanese working on assembly lines instead of Americans.
    A good scare is worth more to a man than good advice. - Ed Howe

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303961

Here is my review of the Vision from a few days ago
    -------
    There is no "off" position on the genius switch.
    David Letterman

06 1800S/3

Default Yes Sir

Quote Originally Posted by JP Huss View Post

Hmmmm Point well taken.. If my X ever gets tiring ir will be a CC that replaces it..

Quote Originally Posted by JP Huss View Post

Agree 100% with that.

This is my last Large Engine Honda... unless they come back and start building them here again.

Damn... I love my VTX 1800S
    The scientific method and religion
    The scientific method makes one assumption, and one assumption only: the Universe obeys a set of rules.
    Most religions agree with the scientific method with one addition; they believe there is meaning to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks View Post
    Yeah BUT, you'll be on yer 3/4th CC when the rings are just seatin on the GW
    WOW, someone fed you a line of crap. BTW, even if the Wing ran 1,000,000 miles, I'd still be uncomfortable because it is made to fit shorter people. Secondly, I could almost buy 2 Crosscountry's for the price of a Wing now.

WOW, someone fed you a line of crap. BTW, even if the Wing ran 1,000,000 miles, I'd still be uncomfortable because it is made to fit shorter people. Secondly, I could almost buy 2 Crosscountry's for the price of a Wing now.
    Mmmm, not quite. After adding a trunk and CB radio, I was at @$25k for the CC. Just saying

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
    Mmmm, not quite. After adding a trunk and CB radio, I was at @$25k for the CC. Just saying
    How much was that CB? (Not really something I need or want, but just sayin') Vic dealer quoted me $750 extra for the trunk. And how much is a 2012 Wing? Like I said, ALMOST.

I might have read this wrong, but IDK the Canadians dont like America that much either.....AS far as made in the USA its just a matter of time.

I am partial to the wing but the Vics are set up better for taller riders. They also have that V-twin rumble and a great add on parts supply.
    The CC is no slouch when looking for a capable touring bike.
    2008 GL 1800, 2005 VTX 1300R

How much was that CB? (Not really something I need or want, but just sayin') Vic dealer quoted me $750 extra for the trunk. And how much is a 2012 Wing? Like I said, ALMOST.
    $750 is the box, add another $1000 to get it mounted with the brackets and speakers. They come as 1 piece, trunk, brackets, speakers, and backrest all for $1750

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Eh, not sure about quantity of GW accessories,,, can't say that I've researched them much either as I marked it off my list a while back.

The Vics are nice, but $950 (MSRP) for a passenger backrest w/luggage rack makes HD stuff look dirt cheap.

Strictly between GW and Vic, I chose 'neither'.

But, I did trade my 06 1800 C in on a new old-stock Stratoliner "S" last weekend. It's an 09 w/full factory warranty and cost me $10K less than a $23K GW or Vision.

Sure, it's not a 'full fairing' bike, jeez, for 10 grand, I'm sure I could figure something out!!!

I like it as it's got lots of room to stretch out,,, 1854 cc V-twin,,,belt drive, and I got 44 MPG last weekend.

Lots of other things I like too, but I'd have to make comparisons to my old bike and to 'slander' an X on a VTX board just isn't necessary!

back to the OT,,,

BRAD,,,, Go ride 'em and see what ya think!!!!

Like Spike said, $750.00 is just a empry box...If the dealer is giving U a complete box installed for $750 take it and run!

I Am A Down and Out "CHROM WHORE"
    Keep it Up Strait

GL1500CT....the heart of a Gold Wing and Made in America....

1999 VALKYRIE F6 GL1500CT

Went to a honda dealer in memphis about 2 weeks ago they had 2 new gw's, 2010's at $17,999 went to a vic dealer in west memphis and they had a vision for right at $24,000 and a cross country for $17,xxx. they were both 2011's. The gw is the only one of the three I haven't ridden. I really want to though.

for me the vision was more comfortable than the cc. Main difference was the higher back seat on the vision and the bars were pulled back about 2 more inches which made it more comfortable. As for looks and bag space I think the cc beats the vision.

They both are very comfortable for bigger riders and did I mention I rode a ultra classic? It does not compare to the visions as far as comfort goes, it is a nice looking bike though. $24,000

'05 1300c Gone but not forgotten.

'02 gl1800
    JoJo ...be not conformed to this world...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.