Honda VTX Forum banner

polishing inner fork tube questions

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  eugenegrimley 
#1 ·
I am working on replacing the fork seals, bushings, springs, and adding gold valves. The inner fork tubes have some very light vertical scratches (if you would even call them scratches) you can see if you hold them right but you can't feel them. I was thinking about taking some 1200 grit paper to them but I'm not sure. If they are that light is it worth even worrying about and if so is 1200 grit the right way to go? I have found some info on the this but it is conflicting, hoping someone with experience with this can chime in.
Thanks.

#3 ·
If you can't "feel" any scratches, I'd suggest something like a chrome polishing compound (Turtle Wax White Polishing Compound) with an "egg crate" pad on a buffing machine. Sandpaper and chromed tubes is bad ju-ju.

#4 ·
If your talking about aluminum, Honda has a clear coat on it. To remove, use clear coat remover for aluminum (Auto Zone and the like carry it). I own a side grinder, so I put a cotton polishing wheel on it, used some rouge and then mirror finish. Ya, it came out like mirror's. I did this with them off the bike. Here's a wheel shot of such work.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.