Now I know...
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Now I know...

Default Now I know...

...what happens when the rear tire flats out at 75mph

Actually...not so scary. I noticed that suddenly there was some vibration in the handlebars and it was getting stronger very quickly. I slowed to see if it was the road surface and then the rear end got a little loose...it doesn't take much to be really uncomfortable! I pulled over and found the hole easily.

I have no idea what I ran over but it was enough to put a big, jagged hole in the middle of the tread on a tire with less than 4000 miles on it.

I carry a tire plugger kit but there was too much damage for the plug to do any good.

FYI...in the future I'll pull over at the very first sign that somethings not right...by delaying just those few seconds the tire got very hot and cracked which meant its next trip could only be to the childrens playground as mulch.

Anyway...if someone needs a recommendation for a great dealer in Jacksonville, IL let me know. Bud, the owner of Sport City of Jacksonville, really took care of us. It happened on a Sunday evening so we had to stay over night but he had us on our way first thing Monday morning. Even gave us his cell number to call after hours if we needed help in the future.

Termite
    Big Red ('08 GoldWing)
    Silver Bullet ('12 NC700X)

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Nice to here there are some goods ones still left out there. Glad to hear it all worked out.
    2007 VTX/R Bags,Sheild,Shark 250 radio,Night Owl lights and of course custom paint. Candy Blue over Candy Orange

Glad you're ok! It is a rather disconcerting feeling... like the rear end dropped into jello....

That you've gone this many miles (close to couple hundred thou?) and this is your first speaks well to the durability of these new fangled radial mc tires and quality overall these days.

Fortunately, I've not had one come apart since around '87 so hopefully this is your one and only.
    "Oh, bother", said Pooh as the tripwire clicked...

Sunset Red '12 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Stage 1 Bassani Mufflers

Re-Homed With hunter2379
    : Black '03 VTX 1800 Retro Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags Tsukayu Fairing Old Inc Classic Tour Pack Roadhouse Classics 2-1 Show Chrome guards Rivco Risers Rivco Passenger boards Darkside Yokohama AVID ENVigor 205/60R16 1300 final JTD Lowers Cobra Lightbar

Thanks for the info, good idea to stop early when you feel anything that might be going wrong.

We a a great experience with the Honda dealer in Alcoa ,Tn. about 4 years ago. My Avon Cobra's had worn down to the cord after a trip down the Blue Ridge , Dragon , and Cherahala. Sitting on a curb sipping a morning cup of coffee , I almost spit it out when seeing the 10-12" long patch of cord showing. A word to to the wise " Don't I repeat Don't slide your bare hand across the cord of a tire" those cords will gitch-ya.
    I got my first set of Elite 3's. It was the only set of tires he had in stock to fit the VTX . I was a little unsure of them after the OEM Dunnies were a piece of crap, but after talking to the service rep about my concerns and wanting to get home in one piece I took them, been using them ever since.
    They put us in front of the line when they found out we were traveling and got us going in just over an hour.
    Anyway nice to hear you had a similar experience with your tire. There are some really nice dealers out there and sometimes they don't get the recondition they deserve.
    New ride: 2011 Victory Cross Country

'02 Retro .. a badass hard bagger - gone '91 900RR - gone '91 1100 Shadow- gone '81 GS550L - gone '69 Sears 109 - gone '64 Tote-Goat - first ride

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.