Honda VTX Forum banner

Need Model info please...VTX1800r/s ?

843 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Murph8 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

When I purchased this bike...I was told it was a 2002 VTX1800C. It is customized...so Im not sure if parts were just changed out. I want to purchase a few items..and they are model specific..... its actually a seat I was looking at..are they mostly universal?

When my title arrived...it has 2002VTXR/S.

How can I tell which model I have?....and what is a R/S ? Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Chopper

Thanks
Murph

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok....starting to make sense now.

PO said it used to have a low rear fender that stuck out a ways...until he cut it up.
He probably calls it a C because it now has the retro parts removed.

But...now which seat....do I go with a retro.....or a C model.....he said a stock seat will still fit with his 240 rear mod....he didnt do the sumo...more of a custom home made mod.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I think I figured it out after I got the R/S answer.

He said the rear fender was the big long one that stuck out(Retro). He then cut it up to modify. He also said a stock seat will still fit...because its just a cut up stock fender...at the same height. He made his own struts.

So......its still an R fender...at stock height. The fender sits high....it doesnt go around the 240 tire...it sits above it.
Im still trying to figure a way to make the rear fender appear more finished though.

Edit:

Im back to being confused....speedo dash panel looks like a C model.
Again...title says R/S...is there a sure fire way of telling...numbers maybe?

Heres a pic. Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#9 ·
Your right.

Everything looks like a C......title must be wrong.....he just used a retro rear fender to cut up to get more of a rear downward curve. Now I need to do trial and error to see what fits for a seat.
Maybe find someone local to compare the fit.

Thanks again

Murph

#11 ·
Thanks for the pics!

My conclusion is its a C model....with a R fender. That part #5 that I have...the same as the C.
But...the fender is the same as the R...cut up and modded to fit....one bolt hole...and it follows the rear tire down fairly low.

Thanks again

#12 ·
To me, that does not look like an R or C fender. The side struts and where they bolt to the fender don't look like either fender. They look like one of the aftermarket fenders for a wide tire kit. ... The R fender also has a ridge that runs down the center of the fender.

#14 ·
Couple of frame differences between an R and C. Easiest one to look for is the extra bosses for the front floor boards. The C will only have two the retro will have four on the right side of the frame. Or take off the right side cover under the seat. The forward lower attach point is welded on the R and bolted on the C. Many other things to check depending on how far you want to dig. Looking at what I see so far I'd say its a C.

#17 ·
Bike has the perfect looks for me. Why change? Just wondering....
Thanks
Want another seat...or second seat.

Want a seat that will be more comfy for the wife.....right now theres barely any passenger seat...she would like to go for a ride now and then.

Also...some money went into this seat...and its starting to show its age....wanted to remove it to extend its life and use it for speacial runs or if I sell it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.