Honda VTX Forum banner

Drive line noise

861 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  heffly 
#1 ·
06 VTX 1300C THIRD GEAR , VERY LIGHT THROTLE ,DRIVE SHAFT OR SOMETHING IN THAT AERA SOUNDS LIKE IT S FIXING TO COME APART. BIKE ONLY HAS 6200 MILES ON IT ANY IDEAS ? ITS GETTING SO BAD THAT I CANT STAND TO RIDE IT. HELP !! ANY ONE? THANKS:tools::roll:

#2 ·
That could be hard to diagnos with just that info. I would recommend you lift the bike up and check it out. What was the last repair done (new rear tire maybe?).

Check shock bolts, check wheel for wobble (side to side) bearing wear, check axle bolts, rear brake assembly, drive line etc. Also check rear end gear oil levels (make sure it isn't dry or low), drive line slack/slap. You would have to check it all out and if you can't find any issues.... take it to the Honda Shop for a second opinion.

#3 ·
Does it only happen in 3rd gear? Does it happen at the same speed in any gear? Does it happen on throttle up... rolling off the throttle or cruising?
Alittle more info would help.
I had a final drive that would only make noise on roll off of throttle... tightened the sline bolt and all was good

#4 ·
that could be hard to diagnos with just that info. I would recommend you lift the bike up and check it out. What was the last repair done (new rear tire maybe?).

Check shock bolts, check wheel for wobble (side to side) bearing wear, check axle bolts, rear brake assembly, drive line etc. Also check rear end gear oil levels (make sure it isn't dry or low), drive line slack/slap. You would have to check it all out and if you can't find any issues.... Take it to the honda shop for a second opinion.
thanks for your reply, i'm putting it on the lift tonight to start checking rearend asm. Thanks.

#5 ·
like the other poster said.. Need way more information... so 6,000 miles in 7 years..

did you buy it new. is it kept in a garage or OUTSIDE. when was the tires replaced.. how about oil and filter.
was the gear lube replaced? and when... what about the brake fluid.. changed WHEN...

there could be 20 things wrong or just one.. NO INFORMATION.

#6 ·
does it only happen in 3rd gear? Does it happen at the same speed in any gear? Does it happen on throttle up... Rolling off the throttle or cruising?
Alittle more info would help.
I had a final drive that would only make noise on roll off of throttle... Tightened the sline bolt and all was good
it was only in third gear, but saturday's ride started hearing it in forth also but not as bad. Only hear it when crusing , holding a slow -low speed third gear , it raise,s hell!

#7 ·
like the other poster said.. Need way more information... So 6,000 miles in 7 years..

Did you buy it new. Is it kept in a garage or outside. When was the tires replaced.. How about oil and filter.
Was the gear lube replaced? And when... What about the brake fluid.. Changed when...

There could be 20 things wrong or just one.. No information.
i bought it used with four thousand two hundred miles on it always garaged and serviced .

#8 ·
it was only in third gear, but saturday's ride started hearing it in forth also but not as bad. Only hear it when crusing , holding a slow -low speed third gear , it raise,s hell!
There are many types of noise... which you haven't described. Is it clanking, whoosing, vibration, popping, whirling, banging etc.
Many folks might be able to help once they know the 'noise' you hear.

#9 ·
there are many types of noise... Which you haven't described. Is it clanking, whoosing, vibration, popping, whirling, banging etc.
Many folks might be able to help once they know the 'noise' you hear.
the noise is like a wrenching sound, creeking, very hard to explain. But there is some vibration , you can feel it in your seat, and with my half helmet on i canhear it really good . It sounds drive shaft related --maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.