Anyone ever replace an evaporator on a Dodge Ram?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone ever replace an evaporator on a Dodge Ram?

Default Anyone ever replace an evaporator on a Dodge Ram?

Was told the evaporator for my AC on my 98 Dodge Ram needs replacing. It's about a $1000.00 job at least. The entire dash needs to come out from what I've read online. Just was wondering if anyone here has tackled this job and how tough is it to do?

Thanks!
    I have a few good kicks left, but I'm saving them!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default evap coil

Quote Originally Posted by rhoderider View Post
    Was told the evaporator for my AC on my 98 Dodge Ram needs replacing. It's about a $1000.00 job at least. The entire dash needs to come out from what I've read online. Just was wondering if anyone here has tackled this job and how tough is it to do?

Thanks!
    Some are more difficult than others, but I think they're all kind of time consuming. You can have them repaired if the coil isn't too badly warn & if it's just your expansion valve, inlet side of evap coil, it can be replaced in many cases.

Good luck,
    Nick

I would suggest if you need to replace evap core the dash does need to come out I would also have heater core replaced also since they are both in heater box and have to pull dash my 96 dodge had to replace heater core and while thay had dash out to replace it I had them do both since you are paying for the labor to do one only extra cost is the part.
    Ride free ,always ride defensive as though your invisible to people around you2006 1300R

I work for a dodge dealer. The dash will come back/lean back with only taking out 18 screws. The job usually takes 2-3 hours.

gypsyrider

When I 1st got into the trade, my Dad took to a auto repair shop who was replacing an evap on a cadilac coupe-de-ville to show me about vehicle A/C work... it was at that moment I decided to get into another end of the HVAC/R trade and never work on automobile A/C units... unless it's mine.

I'll never forget the way the whole dash was hanging... wires... vacuum lines... the older guy on his back, making strange noises trying to get to stuff... no thanks

Good luck... from the above post.... sounds like they made it easier now-a-days
    "The American Paratrooper exists to give the enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." ~~ General George S Patton.

'03 1800S '04 1300S

I've had to replace the dash on many cars. Surprising how often they get busted in a collision. I always got stuck with the job. Worst part was being a contortionist.

Trick was, label every connection with masking tape and where it goes. Take LOTS of reference pics. If you can get a FACTORY service manual, do so. It will give you step by step instructions with all the shortcuts.

When I bought my 1800C, I made one last condition. "I'm paying cash, but you don't sell me the bike unless you toss in a factory service manual."

Made it a lot easier when I did my 240 conversion and a number of other things.

Oh, and yes, while you have it apart, replace that heater core. Cheap.
    Liberal logic: If we could just pass a law making it a crime to commit a crime, all crime will stop.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.