Honda VTX Forum banner

1800 with a 1300 final

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Grump 
#1 ·
Riding in to a hard North wind, hauling my mistress, I realized that my 1300 final drive swap might of been a mistake.. You have to be rolling at least 75 MPH or it just chugs along and begs to have forth back.. I may swap back to the shorter gear.. I never noticed much gas mileage gains if any with the swap. All I really got is a whimpy first and a fifth gear overdrive.. I enjoy it when its just me cause I never hunt 6th, but add a load and wind.. SUX..:(

#2 ·
1800 and 1300 final

I lived in Colorado Springs and when I changed my 03 1800R out to a 1300 final
it required a lot of adjusting to my mine set. But once I got that done I was
real happy with the ride. With stock gears I could pretty much run the mountains
in 5th with no problem. I changed to a 1300 gear set and went darkside and now
i ran mostly 3rd around town, 4th in the mountains and 5th on I-25 above 80 mph.
I did do a lot of road trips around the country and my mpg did go up by about 2 mpg.
Headwinds do slow you down some but i would drop back to 4th and boogie on. It
will help if you have desmogged your scoot (cuts down on backfiring also) and if you
are running stock exhaust open up your mufflers by either drilling out the back or
knocking the baffles out. I changed my exhaust out for "C" model that was a 2 into 1
with a opened muffler and noticed a good increase in power on my seat of pants dyno.
Just my nickels worth. Try i for a while!!

Dray

#3 ·
60,000 miles on a 1300 final in my 1800C. Lots of trailer pulling. Not having any of the issues you speak of. We do have a tranny, shift down a gear when needed. :D Never was intended as a mod to increase mileage. Just gives the bike much better legs and a smoother run on the freeway.

#4 ·
Something else is wrong. Total weight with rider 400lbs. will NOT lug in fifth at 50 mph. on level ground, cruising. Uphill, on interstate, same result. I didn't go for gas mileage, just longer gears, especially 1-2. Have mine last 42,000, 25,000 on a GYTT. :confused: Granted, you may/will have to shift down at times but shifting down at 75 must be a hell of a wind you're running at headlong into.

#5 ·
It was a pretty good cold front. Gusting hard. We had the bike loaded down.. Nah nothing else is wrong with my ride.. When I am alone I love it, but on that particular trip it sucked.. How much legs does it get? I have yet to do a top end with the 1300 final. I am a deferred for a recent ticket:roll:

Also I said under 75 it wanted 4th.. so at 75 no problem.. 60? yeah it had no love..

#6 ·
I tried the 1300 fd and didn't like it. It is a higher gearing so it doesn't surprise me that you felt the towing performance to be downgraded. I am about 210 lbs and normally ride solo and I only found the 1300 fd
helped make first gear not so touchy but other than that it just didn't have the right oomph in the higher gears especially when taking these pa hills, and that was with no passenger or trailer.

I went back to the 1800 fd and a 200 rear tire and am very happy with the results. I feel that the slightly larger diameter tire makes my gear ranges just right.

#7 ·
I love the 13 final on my 18C. Under 70mph, just keep her in 4th. When it's time to run (interstates) the sweet spot is 80mph (indicated, with 205/60/16 CT). That's just peachy with me. Always solo but, lots of time with complete touring load. When out riding for sport can come out of 4th at 100+. Made 1st gear 'usable'. Never got rid of my 18 final but, could never see going back. Intake and exhaust mods with PC and dyno tune. Nutzoid! The gear selector works great.

#8 ·
Well may just do it today

May just put the 18 back in it.. Not like it's a tough swap.. Will also give me a chance to have a look at my flange bearing repair..
It's how the enginerds designed her.. I miss my stump busting 1st gear anyway..:doorag:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.