Oil filter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter

Default Oil filter

Has anybody used the fram oil filter--is it as good as honda filter? About half price of honda--any feedback is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default ...

I use the supertech from walmart. Change my oil every 3000 and I have 19500 on it now. Never had any issue.

Fram filters aren't as good as they used to be. I would recomend Bosch at about 7.50 each, you can use a 3300 or a 3323 (part #s)
    Why is common sense not so common

Why doesn't P.E.T.A. ever attack a biker

I use a prulator L14612 for the classic and you can upgrade to better filter media with a pure one same number in that series! These have great reviews and can be had at advanced auto. They are car filters that are the same size as the fram cycle filter ph6017a. They work I have been useing them! This link should show you a cut away and review of filters for our bikes this is what helped me decide! scroll down to honda filters and read!
    http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html
    Last edited by akuser47; 08-03-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Live Free, Ride Free, Or die Fighting for the Right to do so!

Default oil filter

the fram filter was all my autozone had to offer--guess i better look @ other filters

Here is a very informative site on oil filters.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Plenty of choices for "Size #5".
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Just say no to Fram.

I use the Bosch 3300.

bosch for sure, I personally like the longer 3.25" one

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...ht=oil+filters

this is the link to all the different filters that members have compiled. its down the page about 1/2 way.

Canyon, tx
    2003 VTX 1800R
    HID headlight, psycho accent lights, how to section has a cruise control
    Something Something Something DARKSIDE michelin hydroedge 205/65 R16
    sent from my R2D2 unit on TATOOINE

Quote Originally Posted by danater View Post
    bosch for sure, I personally like the longer 3.25" one

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...ht=oil+filters

this is the link to all the different filters that members have compiled. its down the page about 1/2 way.

I personally hate the 3.25" filter... it's a pita to work with on bikes w/ the coolent tank under there

but on Bosch & Purolator One filters... I use the Puro One as there easier for me to locate
    "The American Paratrooper exists to give the enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." ~~ General George S Patton.

'03 1800S '04 1300S

Quote Originally Posted by soflvtx View Post
    I use the supertech from walmart. Change my oil every 3000 and I have 19500 on it now. Never had any issue.

supertech from walmart good for me also
    Dave
    05 1800N Black Go Fast BUT don't get in a hurry
    Are you a whosoever? <><
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by scup View Post
    I personally hate the 3.25" filter... it's a pita to work with on bikes w/ the coolent tank under there

but on Bosch & Purolator One filters... I use the Puro One as there easier for me to locate
    Scup, I had no problem using that 3.25 supertech on mine and was curious why you had a problem. Did you use the strap wrench to remove?

maurice
    VTX 1800t 2007

Quote Originally Posted by scup View Post

My coolant tank isn't even remotely close to the oil filter? 04 1800 C.
    Nothing but 3323s for me.
    Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. Now have H4 HID & LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

I tried to put the 3323 on mine. Would have been able to start buying my filters in bulk. That's the same filter my Polaris uses. There was no way it would go on without removing the coolant res. though.

supertech st6607 on mine
    2004 VTX 1800C, PCIII usb (current map M109-009), V&H Bigshots baffles removed, Desmog, Black T-Motorsports Spike Intake(ebay spike) 200 Battlax rear, Elite3 front, Willie& Max bags, grip end key mod

Yes, with anything longer than the stock filter, you have to move the coolant reservoir to get it in and out. You can spin it on and off, you just can't actually remove it. I was using Motorcraft filters, but switched to the shorter (stock length) AC Delco. I also use the Pure ONE filters.

Riding like my ass is on fire since 1982.

maybe this is related to model, yr since some of us use the longer one with no problem. I first couldn't remove it because of a different filter remover, some kind of plastic cover that was too thick to fit between C. tank and filter, but then got the strap wrench with a fairly thin strap. Worked great.

maurice
    VTX 1800t 2007

Default wix filter

I haven't heard anyone mention using a wix filter. Went to get a bosch tonight and ORielly's does not carry them. It cross referenced that a Wix filter would work measured the same length, just wondering what experiences y'all have had with them?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jore346 View Post
    I haven't heard anyone mention using a wix filter. Went to get a bosch tonight and ORielly's does not carry them. It cross referenced that a Wix filter would work measured the same length, just wondering what experiences y'all have had with them?

Thanks.
    Odd they carry them up here. Wix is adequate certainly.
    Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. Now have H4 HID & LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by FISTer View Post
    I tried to put the 3323 on mine. Would have been able to start buying my filters in bulk. That's the same filter my Polaris uses. There was no way it would go on without removing the coolant res. though.
    actually I have my coolant tank right by the rear tire underneath were it is normally from the factory. I have no problem putting the long ones on because you can actually angle it on for a lil bit of play and itll be just fine. since I found I could do that with no damage to the filter ive changed over to bosch 3323 exclusively and I change my oil once a month.

Canyon, tx
    2003 VTX 1800R

actually I have my coolant tank right by the rear tire underneath were it is normally from the factory. I have no problem putting the long ones on because you can actually angle it on for a lil bit of play and itll be just fine. since I found I could do that with no damage to the filter ive changed over to bosch 3323 exclusively and I change my oil once a month.
    Just out of curiosity - why every month? You put on 5-8K every month?

Quote Originally Posted by jore346 View Post

Thanks.
    Wix is the way to go. Great filters and will be my choice when I do my first oil change on the bike. Stay away from Fram.

i like the k&N filters, they even have a little nut on the end so you can use a wrench to get it off instead of dinking with a strap wrench and i figure for a once a year oil change i can splurge the extra couple bucks (and i don't have deep pockets either )

You can't take it with you...

Quote Originally Posted by NDAna View Post
    Just out of curiosity - why every month? You put on 5-8K every month?
    I put 1500 to 2000 miles a month on it, 1/2 in town 1/2 highway. I figure as black as the oil is when it comes out, that I better change it every month just to make sure. I cannot afford to have the bike down for more than 4 days at a time, my truck cost 3x times the gas lol.

I use lucas treatment in it also for that added punch
    im also using 18 wheeler heavy duty oil

Canyon, tx
    2003 VTX 1800R

I put 1500 to 2000 miles a month on it, 1/2 in town 1/2 highway. I figure as black as the oil is when it comes out, that I better change it every month just to make sure. I cannot afford to have the bike down for more than 4 days at a time, my truck cost 3x times the gas lol.

FWIW black oil means it is doing its job. For economy- maybe not an issue and for environment- I'd go to at least every other month. Right now you have piece of mind but the only real thing being accomplished is making the oil co richer.

Bosch 3300 here. Easy on and off.
    Dan

Lucas oil treatment? If so, please be aware that Lucas oil treatment is nothing more than mineral oil with virtually no additives. The net result is to lessen the overall additive package of the other motor oil.

You've probably seen that little crank thingy with the little gears. The one with the Lucas oil treatment shows the oil with substantially more "cling" and "climb". However, this is a trait that also causes more foaming and you certainly wouldn't want that, especailly in a shared sump engine that shares the motor oil with the transmission.

My two cents.

Your mileage may vary

The regular (orange) Fram filters use a cardboard endcap on the filter media. The others mentioned in this thread use a stamped steel end cap. Supposedly (I have never known anyone who's had it happen) the cardboard can rupture, disintegrate and send that material out into the engine. I used to use them until I became aware of the cardboard contruction. Figure why take that chance. I now use either the Purolator, Bosch, or Supertech. And to 'danater', holy cow I thought I was an oil change nut (I change out at 3500 miles) but, every month!? With only 1500 to 2000 miles. Wow! I have used the longer filters on my '02, it is a bit of a squeeze to get it off and on but, I can do it without moving the overflow tank.

One thing about the Fram that turns me away is the price.

I cut open a Wal-Mart SuperTech filter and it is much better constructed and much cheaper.

Same goes for the Purolator "Classic" filters.

In MY mind, the Fram is over-advertised/marketed and under-engineered. Basically a cheap filter. Not saying that they aren't adequate - just saying that there are better filters available for less money.

I was using purolator filters. But I found out the by-pass valve opens at 14 psi. Where the Honda is 10 psi. Not an exact match. It might not make a difference. I don't know. Other car filters may be different also. I just know about the purolators as I was using them. They are a good filter. I use them on my other vehicles.

For anyone that does not know about the by-pass valve. It is a valve in the filter
    designed to open when the difference in pressure across the filter
    reaches 10 pounds or more. It is to ensure oil delivery if a filter is too
    restricted or in cases where the engine may be at high revs creating a larger pressure drop across the filter. Better to get unfiltered oil than not enough.

2005 F2, Black Cherry,Cobra speedster,Kuryakyn Pro, PC3

Does the 13 and 18 use the same filter? what is the walmart filter again? st14610?

Does anyone get their oild from wally world? Which one?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.