seized lug nuts. HELP.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: seized lug nuts. HELP.

Default seized lug nuts. HELP.

My son has an 03 Eclipse. Some time back he had a shop install some tires on new rims. They didn't have "standard" lugs, so they installed some type of "torx" nut. They are the female, and of course the tool to remove it is male.
    Don't know the correct terminology.

Well, they have seized onto the lugs. One shop has broken 3 of the torx trying to remove them, though they did get the wheel off to repair the tire.
    He brought it back again yesterday to try and get them all changed, but they couldn't remove any of the nuts.
    My question is, how do we get them off? I've searched on the net, but have not found any similar situations. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

probably going to have to break the studs and replace them. Usually the studs will just pound out.
    There are no stupid questions,
    There's just a lot of inquisitive idiots.

also if aluminum wheels make sure you use ant-seize on threads and don't over tighten lug nuts
    Ride free ,always ride defensive as though your invisible to people around you2006 1300R

I don't if this will help but try this and see.

Drill a hole in the nut if you can and pump Wd-40/slick 50 or another liquid to seize nuts loose. Let it set and repeat .

Get a small propane torch (Lowes,Home Depot) and heat up the nut and not the stud , heat expands metal and get the right tool on the nut.

Like I said it is a shot in the dark but what have you got lose.

Most tire shops will have special impact gun socket tools for removing locking lug nuts you've lost the key to or broken. As do wheel thieves.

2003 VTX1800 ARRRGH

VTX BEATS HARLEY and Hitler is Pissed!
    http://www.break.com/usercontent/201...wasted-1912477

Red Knights MC
    "343"

Default weld

If you have enough space, and a wire welder, you can weld another lug nut, or 1/2" nut on the stuck nut. Make it a pretty good weld, then you can use a regular socke and air impact to remove it. Also the heat from welding may help loosen the original nut. Use wet rags around the area to keep from splatter and damage to wheel.

Good advice from Key Wasted and monsterops.

Oh, and next time, tell them to drop the 1" air impact and back away from the vehicle.
    Liberal logic: If we could just pass a law making it a crime to commit a crime, all crime will stop.

Third Rock (just to the right of the moon)

Spray on PB Blaster and let it sit for a few minutes... Then heat with a butane or propane torch for a few seconds and use a big wrench on it.

Works for me...

Darth RoadDawg
    Charter Member: Liberals Anonymous and, Red light in a Blue State...

Tapatalk ads SUCK... Sent from my smokey fire pit with a wet blanket

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWasted View Post
    Most tire shops will have special impact gun socket tools for removing locking lug nuts you've lost the key to or broken. As do wheel thieves.
    Yes, many tire shops do have specialty socket kits designed for the purpose of removing "locking" style or torx type lug nuts. As for removing the standard lug nuts, I have often used a large wrench that I could get some leverage on, such as a torque wrench or breaker bar, and at times would have to use a cheater bar with it as well. Had much success breaking the nuts loose by hand this way where an impact gun wasn't doing it. Very rare to have many of the lug nuts that tight, I wonder if they got cross threaded or were wrong size threads?

EDIT: And as Black MtnMan said, step away from the impact gun when installing the lug nuts. Use a torque wrench for final tightening according to vehicle manufactures specs.
    Last edited by lv2cruz; 08-28-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    2004 VTX1300S

Another tid-bit that may seem simple, but effective the majority of the time is to have a helper spin the wheel at the same time while running the impact gun. On the passenger side, spin the wheel forward. On the driver side spin the wheel backward.
    2004 VTX1300S

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman333 View Post
    probably going to have to break the studs and replace them. Usually the studs will just pound out.
    Just about the easiest thing you can do,If I am not mistaken there is a rubber plug in the back plate that you take out to replace the lugs,go buy some replacement lugs and nuts twist the old ones of****ock them out and put in the new ones

Quote Originally Posted by kf4ocj View Post
    Just about the easiest thing you can do,If I am not mistaken there is a rubber plug in the back plate that you take out to replace the lugs,go buy some replacement lugs and nuts twist the old ones of****ock them out and put in the new ones

You can pound the lugs out, yes, but the stuck nuts won't fit through that hole. Oh...and you still need the wheel off. Sorry, no points.
    Liberal logic: If we could just pass a law making it a crime to commit a crime, all crime will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMtnMan View Post
    You can pound the lugs out, yes, but the stuck nuts won't fit through that hole. Oh...and you still need the wheel off. Sorry, no points.
    If it's that hard to get them off, it's likely that the studs will be stripped or broken anyway. It's just a matter of force and the studs will break. Either way, their strength will be compromised and they need to be replaced. My guess is that the real problem is incorrect thread pitch on the lugs.
    There are no stupid questions,
    There's just a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMtnMan View Post
    sorry i guess i should have expanded my idea,put a six point socket on the lug nut with a breaker bar,tighten it till it twist off,a lot easier than you think,then knock them out and replace

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.