Honda VTX Forum banner

HELP!!!

840 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mh05-1300r 
#1 ·
Hello All!!

I have been lurking this board for years and gained alot of useful info. My issue is that I wrecked my bike 4+ years ago. Same day as signing my divorce agreement! Anyway, I have taken it out of storage and replacing parts. New tank, bars ect, ect!

Well i filled tank with new fuel and a large dose of seafoam. Cleaned petcock before i put on new tank. Started bike and let it idle for 15 mins and shut it down and went in house. Came out next night to work on it and started bike to let idle for a few mins and out of the breather hose started coming this oily foam. I immediately shut it down and started checking things out. Crank case is full of gas!!!

Float stuck over night and filled crank case? :cry: Any input is appreciated.

#3 ·
Something is stuck in the carb as you suspect but also the petcock might not be closing. It is vacuum operated and shouldn't open without the engine running. Sounds like you had a direct path from the tank to the crank. If the petcock isn't shutting off then you need to manually put it in the off position if the bike isn't running.

Pull off the fuel line from the petcock and see if gas comes out.

I'd drain the crank, fill it with a cheap oil, run it a minute or two, drain that out and fill as normal. Fuel isn't as bad as coolant.

#4 ·
Seafoam is good for cleasning up SMALL amounts of varnish, but not 4 years worth. You need to take the carb off and clean everything up like new.

THEN you can drain the engine case and change the oil. Ride it for a few miles(like 5 ) and then change the oil again

#5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. As for the pet cock, I thought the thing was supposed to be vacumed to be open. Guess I will fix that first while I build up nerve to tackle the carb. Been a while since I wrenched on a carb. Like when I was 16! lol

Not that much to the petcock, right?

#6 ·
carb and petcock

Thanks for the thoughts. As for the pet cock, I thought the thing was supposed to be vacumed to be open. Guess I will fix that first while I build up nerve to tackle the carb. Been a while since I wrenched on a carb. Like when I was 16! lol

Not that much to the petcock, right?
should just be a diaphragm valve to pull open when selector is on prob just gunked up single cv carbs aren't too bad did the guads on my old 750 k a couple of times it was harder to get the whole rack in and out than doing the carbs lol just clean them up and check for cracked rubber parts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.