Honda VTX Forum banner

Need some help:Running bad

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Chicago-Spike 
#1 ·
I'm trying o help a friend out and fix his X for him. It's an 03 1800C with 14k on it. He got it from a guy that laid it down but was cosmetic damage (tank and rear fender). He's been riding it for about 9 months now and one day it wouldn't start. I have it now to fix it. Battery is good and it turns over really good. You have to throttle it to get it to start. Once it starts it puffing black smoke when I rev it. If I let it idle it gets slower and kind of a loping like if it had a bigger cam I guess you could say and then it will die. Any ideas I can check myself to keep from going to the high dollar shop would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Check the oil for over filled and reeks of fuel. If either is present, change the fuel pressure regulator and the change the oil. Ride it for a few miles and change the oil again. If the FPR is bad it allows too much fuel into the combustion chamber and the fuel will wash down the cylinder walls and into the engine

#3 ·
Check the oil for over filled and reeks of fuel. If either is present, change the fuel pressure regulator and the change the oil. Ride it for a few miles and change the oil again. If the FPR is bad it allows too much fuel into the combustion chamber and the fuel will wash down the cylinder walls and into the engine
I was thinking FPR from what I've read but didn't know how to check it. Will I be able to tell from the filler hole or do I need to drain it to notice the fuel?

#4 ·
Guess I should also ask where the FPR is located.

#7 ·
To check the FPR if it is bad you can pull the vacuum side hose off of the FPR and if there is fuel in it the FPR is bad and need to replace before running the engine. This is one way to test it and usually but not always if bad you will find fuel in it along with checking your oil for fuel in it as stated above.

#8 ·
Is there a "how to" link for replacing the FPR?
The fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is located on the fuel rail that feeds both injectors. Follow the fuel line down from the tank and notice where it attaches to the fuel rail. Just inside that connection, mounted to the fuel rail, is the FPR. If the diaphragm is bad there will be fuel present in the vacuum line that attaches to the FPR. Remove that line and look for fuel. While the line is off, turn on the ignition and listen for the fuel pump to prime. Look to see if any fuel is coming out of the nipple that the vacuum line attaches to. Any sign of fuel in the vacuum area means the FPR is bad.
Use a 1/4" socket set to remove the FPR from the fuel rail. The new FPR will have a plastic plug protecting the inlet from the fuel rail that MUST be removed before you mount it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.