Honda VTX Forum banner

Toolkit

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  pushrod 
#1 ·
I was thinking about adjusting the pre-load on my rear shocks but don't have a spanner wrench, then a buddy says it should be in the toolkit - what toolkit ? The one on the left side behind the removable plastic cover. I pulled the cover off but there isn't room enough for a toolkit there even if I had one.

Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Engine

See less See more
#2 ·
Most toolkits

....are in a blue plastic pouch, and has just a few basic wrenches, screwdrivers, spark plug socket wrench, spanner & handle, etc.

#6 ·
Shock Adjust Tool

If you have a motorcycle lift you don't need any tool (a.k.a. spanner tool)... I lifted the weight of my bike and turned them by hand no problem. :thumbup:

#8 ·
Go to Ace/Sears and buy a rubber strap wrench for $9. Put the rubber strap around the chrome part and turn

Thats what I do. A few years ago working for a local hotel we changed all the urinals and toilets over to the auto-flush style. There was a strap wrench with each kit and I snagged a couple after we were done changing things out. They work good!

Dan

#9 ·
looks like the PO taped the PC to the door of your "glove box". still might be in there. but agreed, most can turn by hand. if not lift the rear a little.

You are right. It was behind the PC along with the owners manual. Preload was on 2 I bumped them to 4. Side note owners manual says its a 1800R3. What does the 3 signify, just curious.

Product Furniture Metal

#11 ·
You are right. It was behind the PC along with the owners manual. Preload was on 2 I bumped them to 4. Side note owners manual says its a 1800R3. What does the 3 signify, just curious.

View attachment 44856
the 3 indicates the 3nd version of the model the exact difference the dealer will have to look up if I was still with Honda I could tell you some are only paint color or C fenders on a R chassis my 1800 C3 is a special flame decal and a scope on the radiator

#12 ·
You also lucked out; the PO cut down the allen wrench requried for removing the timing plug cover without having to remove the exhaust. He knew something about the bike.

#13 ·
You also lucked out; the PO cut down the allen wrench requried for removing the timing plug cover without having to remove the exhaust. He knew something about the bike.
I was wondering why one was shorter than the rest, that explains it. Yep, po was meticulous about his bikes. He has a 97 Road Star that looked just a brand-new as this x I bought off of him.

#14 ·

View attachment 44856
The 3 means it came with those chrome guards on the fenders and such..I just so happen to have the same scoot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.