Honda VTX Forum banner

Good news from dunlop

916 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Chestercountydan 
#1 ·
Automotive tire Tire Automotive wheel system Rim Number
Tire Automotive tire Bumper Automotive wheel system Auto part
Back in Sept. I had ridden the X and parked it for approx. 1 week. I came out to ride it one morning and discovered the rear tire flat. The rear tire had only approx. 4200 miles on it as I just had it installed in July. Attached are the pics of the holes I discovered. 1 on each side of the tire. Pic #1 is the rear tire "driver's side" and pic #2 is the rear tire "pass. side". The holes were offset a few inches from each other. My first thought was vandalism. But upon closer inspection, hole #1 looked like a burst bubble and hole #2 looked more like a slash. So I wasn't sure. I had the bike towed to my local shop via my insurance co. I have free towing from Rider Ins. They sold me a NEW tire at almost 50% off (still had to pay m/b) to get me back on the road. They sent the flat tire to Dunlop's research center in Cali. Fast forward to today: Just got a call from the dealer and they advised me that Dunlop IS COVERING THE TIRE UNDER WARRANTY!!!! Honestly, I was shocked. I asked what the findings were and was told that info "was not released" to the dealer. So, I paid a discounted price of approx. $80 for the tire, paid for m/b, and got what I paid for the tire on a gift card to the dealer (at my request). Just thought I would share my experience. Btw, tire pressure for my rear tire has always been 40 psi for 2-up (me and young son)

See less See more
#2 ·
View attachment 45334 View attachment 45335 Back in Sept. I had ridden the X and parked it for approx. 1 week. I came out to ride it one morning and discovered the rear tire flat. The rear tire had only approx. 4200 miles on it as I just had it installed in July. Attached are the pics of the holes I discovered. 1 on each side of the tire. Pic #1 is the rear tire "driver's side" and pic #2 is the rear tire "pass. side". The holes were offset a few inches from each other. My first thought was vandalism. But upon closer inspection, hole #1 looked like a burst bubble and hole #2 looked more like a slash. So I wasn't sure. I had the bike towed to my local shop via my insurance co. I have free towing from Rider Ins. They sold me a NEW tire at almost 50% off (still had to pay m/b) to get me back on the road. They sent the flat tire to Dunlop's research center in Cali. Fast forward to today: Just got a call from the dealer and they advised me that Dunlop IS COVERING THE TIRE UNDER WARRANTY!!!! Honestly, I was shocked. I asked what the findings were and was told that info "was not released" to the dealer. So, I paid a discounted price of approx. $80 for the tire, paid for m/b, and got what I paid for the tire on a gift card to the dealer (at my request). Just thought I would share my experience. Btw, tire pressure for my rear tire has always been 40 psi for 2-up (me and young son)
Interesting. I assume the bike was "outside" parked somewhere? Where were the holes on the tire when you looked at them; up inside the fender, bottom, rear etc?? What Dunlop tire was it (model and size)?

Did you piss anyone off? Could it be ice pick pokes? It does give the bubble pop appearance, but I find it odd that you had two "pops" on the tire at the exact same time. One pop would have released pressure in no time and relieved pressure from the other one popping I would think.

Glad they took care of ya.... but I find it odd, don't you?

#3 ·
Interesting. I assume the bike was "outside" parked somewhere? Where were the holes on the tire when you looked at them; up inside the fender, bottom, rear etc?? What Dunlop tire was it (model and size)?

Did you piss anyone off? Could it be ice pick pokes? It does give the bubble pop appearance, but I find it odd that you had two "pops" on the tire at the exact same time. One pop would have released pressure in no time and relieved pressure from the other one popping I would think.

Glad they took care of ya.... but I find it odd, don't you?
Bike was outside under a cover in front of my house. Unfortunately I don't have a garage. the holes as you see them are exactly how I found them. On the "bottom" half of the tire. It was a D404 170/80-15. Did have a run in with a neighbor (also a rider) who accused one of my kids of stealing his kids skateboard (it was on his porch the whole time).....so yeah, it could've been him. But I was told that the Dunlop research center wouldn't cover vandalism. So that leads me to believe it was a defect. And even if it was him, I essentially got a free tire. So IF it was the neighbor, he kinda did me a favor. I would've had to pay to mount/balance a new tire anyways. Either way, not gonna lose sleep over it and the customer service I got from both the dealer and Dunlop was great.

#5 ·
Nice to hear that they took care of you, and if indeed it was a manufacturing defect good thing it wasn't a serious blow out while driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.