neutral safety switch part # ??
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: neutral safety switch part # ??

  1. #1
    Senior Member aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    9,006

    Default neutral safety switch part # ??

    My neutral light works intermttently,and usually only when the the clutch
    lever is completely released..It does not just come on when I put it in neutral...
    I looked at the exploded parts view on the Honda parts website,but dont see the part number,or switch in the drawing...
    Its the little switch on the handlebars,actuated by the clutch lever..

    Anyone know what it is...?
    Last edited by aardvark; 09-03-2011 at 06:34 PM.


    2002 1800 RETRO SPOKE ILLUSION BLUE, SOLD May 2014
    Bought 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic June 2014

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Highway 61 Revisited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Desolation Row
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    My C Parts Manual has it listed as #6 clutch switch assembly.

    Just replaced mine on an 03 R; OEM part # 35330-MB0-003


    "Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself" -Old Biker's Credo

    "I'll let you be in my dream, if I can be in yours" --B. Dylan 0/`j~0

  4. #3
    Senior Member aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    9,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highway 61 Revisited View Post
    My C Parts Manual has it listed as #6 clutch switch assembly.

    Just replaced mine on an 03 R; OEM part # 35330-MB0-003

    Muchas Gracias Amigo...


    2002 1800 RETRO SPOKE ILLUSION BLUE, SOLD May 2014
    Bought 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic June 2014

  5. #4
    Senior Member Hans&Feet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Conyers/McDonough, GA
    Posts
    5,463

    Default

    Neutral switch is grounded by the gearshift drum. It wears off the tip, makes it intermittent before it goes completely out. It has a thick sealing washer you can file down and keep on riding or you can get a new neutral switch. Shown on "crankcase" fiche. Yes---oil will run out when you change it...
    When you let the clutch out the gears are moving so the movement is grounding it. The clutch switch has nothing to do with the neutral light.

    The clutch switch with a ground from a kick stand up switch allows you to start the VTX in gear or in neutral when the neutral switch is defective.
    10 SWITCH, NEUTRAL
    35600-KE8-003 001 $14.84 $11.42 2002 1800s
    35600-KE8-003 001 $14.84 $11.42 2005 1300c amazing isn't it....
    Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-03-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back.
    156,843 VTX miles...​On 10th frt tire, 13th rear tire
    When you stop learning, you are dying.
    http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...m.jpg~original

  6. #5
    Senior Member dangrousdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hemet, Peoples Republic of California
    Posts
    3,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
    Neutral switch is grounded by the gearshift drum. It wears off the tip, makes it intermittent before it goes completely out. It has a thick sealing washer you can file down and keep on riding or you can get a new neutral switch. Shown on "crankcase" fiche. Yes---oil will run out when you change it...
    When you let the clutch out the gears are moving so the movement is grounding it. The clutch switch has nothing to do with the neutral light.

    The clutch switch with a ground from a kick stand up switch allows you to start the VTX in gear or in neutral when the neutral switch is defective.
    10 SWITCH, NEUTRAL
    35600-KE8-003 001 $14.84 $11.42 2002 1800s
    35600-KE8-003 001 $14.84 $11.42 2005 1300c amazing isn't it....
    Sent from my PC or Laptop or Netbook by Tapping MY KEYBOARD ;^)







  7. #6
    Senior Member vtxbronco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    RONKONKOMA,NEW YORK
    Posts
    2,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    My neutral light works intermttently,and usually only when the the clutch
    lever is completely released..It does not just come on when I put it in neutral...
    I looked at the exploded parts view on the Honda parts website,but dont see the part number,or switch in the drawing...
    Its the little switch on the handlebars,actuated by the clutch lever..

    Anyone know what it is...?
    it is a pain...ive like some others have put on custom levers and some dont fully push in the switch button..like mine..i have aeromack levers..they dont even come close to closing the button for nuteral..

    the button is plastic they do crack and chip after awhile..


    RIDE HARD RIDE SAFE ..VTXBRONCO ...CHROME WHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MY RIDE PICS http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/album.php?albumid=233
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1640

  8. #7
    Senior Member dangrousdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hemet, Peoples Republic of California
    Posts
    3,828

    Default

    I would say it could be a loose connector for the wires going to the speedometer, or the neutral switch or wiring for it, but I don't think it has anything to do with your clutch switch as that switch does not control the neutral light.
    Sent from my PC or Laptop or Netbook by Tapping MY KEYBOARD ;^)







  9. #8
    Senior Member medrep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
    Neutral switch is grounded by the gearshift drum. It wears off the tip, makes it intermittent before it goes completely out. It has a thick sealing washer you can file down and keep on riding or you can get a new neutral switch. Shown on "crankcase" fiche. Yes---oil will run out when you change it...
    When you let the clutch out the gears are moving so the movement is grounding it. The clutch switch has nothing to do with the neutral light.

    The clutch switch with a ground from a kick stand up switch allows you to start the VTX in gear or in neutral when the neutral switch is defective.
    10 SWITCH, NEUTRAL
    35600-KE8-003 001 $14.84 $11.42 2002 1800s
    35600-KE8-003 001 $14.84 $11.42 2005 1300c amazing isn't it....
    swap out the switch behind the left engine cover. There is a wire connected to the top. Pull the wire off then back out the switch.
    I had the exact same problem with my bike.
    Live love and ride...Life is too short!

    Black 2007 1800C, (the fastest VTXs made) CP drag bars, XR Ultra Fairing, PC III, HK 2 into 1's, Kury Hypercharger, lights, Young Guns seat and chrome here and there.

  10. #9
    Senior Member aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    9,006

    Default

    I pulled the switch off the left clutch lever again,blew it out with some contact cleaner,
    then hit the little square plunger with some light silicone lube...

    Working much better now...

    Thanks for all the info ....


    2002 1800 RETRO SPOKE ILLUSION BLUE, SOLD May 2014
    Bought 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic June 2014

  11. #10
    Senior Member dangrousdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hemet, Peoples Republic of California
    Posts
    3,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I pulled the switch off the left clutch lever again,blew it out with some contact cleaner,
    then hit the little square plunger with some light silicone lube...

    Working much better now...

    Thanks for all the info ....
    Your wiring is really screwed up if your clutch switch controls your neutral light .
    Sent from my PC or Laptop or Netbook by Tapping MY KEYBOARD ;^)







  12. #11
    Senior Member aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    9,006

    Default

    Whats that switch do then?
    My neutral light would flicker until I let the clutch all the way out..


    2002 1800 RETRO SPOKE ILLUSION BLUE, SOLD May 2014
    Bought 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic June 2014

  13. #12
    Senior Member dangrousdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hemet, Peoples Republic of California
    Posts
    3,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Whats that switch do then?
    My neutral light would flicker until I let the clutch all the way out..
    The clutch switch with a ground from a kickstand up switch allows you to start in gear with the kickstand up and clutch lever pulled in.

    If it is not working you can only start the bike in neutral.
    Sent from my PC or Laptop or Netbook by Tapping MY KEYBOARD ;^)







+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •