Honda VTX Forum banner

Anybody experienced with carbs on the 1300s?

3K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  Boss_Hoggin 
#1 ·
In a world of trouble. Just recently put V&H cruzers, dynojet jet kit, and k&n air filter in the stock air box. It ran mint for the first week. Now at idle it pumps black smoke, when I crack open the throttle open it backfires and flames come out, when I ride it (yes it is warmed up), It lurches and spits and backfires and won't run unless the choke is on. No power. Gone through two sets of plugs, adjusting air fuel has done nothing, adjusted the clip placement on the needle, doesn't seem to be leaking at the head. I'm out of ideas. And getting tired of taking it all apart to get at the carb. Could somebody who knows more than me please shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

#9 ·
So after reading I'm gathering that my pilot jet, main jet, and needle position are out. As it doesn't perform as it should at any of those rpms. I'll look into getting that jet kit. Hopefully someone stocks it here in calgary.
Plenty of people run DJ kits without issue. You just need to follow the proper sequence and make sure its back together properly.
Main jet First.... choosing the one that pulls the best WOT - try several
Needle position second, choosing the clip that gives best midrange - try several
AF screw last, adjust to give the highest vacuum at the factory spec. idle speed.

#11 ·
What pilot jet and main jets do you have in your bike? What is the needle set at? We need that info to help you get the proper settings. With the stock air box and filter you should go back to the stock jets and needle. Then adjust the A/F mixture to around 2 turns should put you back in the good. With the stock air box you don't need to rejet.

#12 ·
Should I go to a higher or lower size?
Try a size up and determine if its better or worse.If better, your going the right direction.... try the next size up after that....etc....... If its worse try the size down from where you started. Better or worse.... like having your eyes checked. Be sure to evaluate with clean plugs, bike fully warmed up.

#13 ·
no need to get another kit you can make this one work well enough.

If there is a 185 or 190 in the kit start there then put clip on needle 4th from blunt end
the A/F pilot setting should be 2 turns open.

#14 ·
What pilot jet and main jets do you have in your bike? What is the needle set at? We need that info to help you get the proper settings. With the stock air box and filter you should go back to the stock jets and needle. Then adjust the A/F mixture to around 2 turns should put you back in the good. With the stock air box you don't need to rejet.
Jet Is 195. Needle position is 3

#15 ·
Jet Is 195. Needle position is 3
this is in the correct range maybe 1 size big.

first thing you need to do is tighten your battery cables with a wrench or socket.

next up is I would clean and put some dielectric grease in the plug boots.

check choke cable where it enters carb some times it will hang the end up on the boss it sits in.

#16 ·
When I was running decaped air box with K&N I needed larger than the 195 DJ main. With the 195 my bike would surge and sputter no matter where I adjusted the AF screw. I put the stock air filter back in and waited for the FP and started over using Charlie D's right up.
I did have a deecaped air box when I tried the K&N - Bike would run fair with decap and 195 DJ with stock air filter but not K&N.

#17 ·
Well I actually tried putting the stock jet in. Which is a 195 by Hondas standards, it runs much better but now instead of running too rich it's way leaner, spitting out the carb, sputtering bad. So where do I go from here? The dynojet 195 is way richer than the honda 195

#18 ·
Well I actually tried putting the stock jet in. Which is a 195 by Hondas standards, it runs much better but now instead of running too rich it's way leaner, spitting out the carb, sputtering bad. So where do I go from here? The dynojet 195 is way richer than the honda 195
did you use stock needle or the DJ needle

#22 ·
you can use the DJ spring if you like and yes put the shim on the point of the stock needle to raise it a little.

Set the A/F screw at 2 1/4 turns open and leave it alone till everything else is correct

Also make sure all the band clamps on the manifold are tight air leak will cause lean condition.

#25 ·
Once it gets past about 1500 rpm it's fine. Just getting up to that it has trouble
you may have some crud in the slow jet so pull it and clean real good the holes are real small and clog easy

If this doesn't work then you will need to find a 58 pilot jet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.