Honda VTX Forum banner

best place online to buy OEM clutch cable?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  rubbinsracin 
#1 ·
Riding with my buddy last night, and at the stop light about 2 miles south of town, the clutch cable snaps on his kawacrappy. He said he only had 11k miles on the cable, but he does alot of city riding so alot of clutch pulling. So it got me thinking that I have right at 49k on my stock cable with no spare on the bike to swap to should something happen. so he walked his to the gas station right there on the corner and we rode 2 up back to his place and then went back and loaded it on a tailer and took it home.

So back to the question. Where can a guy get a good OEM clutch cable, as well as pick up extra OEM parts if he needs too?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I get parts from the local dealer when I need them. The mark up isn't that much and they usally have what I'm looking for in stock. Also, keeps a repore with them in case I do need them in the future. So far my bike has only spent 30 minutes in their shop for the carb recall. But you never know.

#5 ·
Send me your address. I will check this weekend and see if I have a new stock R clutch cable. I think I bought one a few years ago and went with the R cuz it was a few inches longer than the C and I was debating on taller bars anyway. Can't use it now with the apes and I'd be glad if it went to a good home in NE. (I'm from Omaha originally and have family there still) If I still have it, its yours.

:)

#6 ·
Send me your address. I will check this weekend and see if I have a new stock R clutch cable. I think I bought one a few years ago and went with the R cuz it was a few inches longer than the C and I was debating on taller bars anyway. Can't use it now with the apes and I'd be glad if it went to a good home in NE. (I'm from Omaha originally and have family there still) If I still have it, its yours.

:)
I appriciate the effort, however, right when I read it yesterday afternoon I ordered it. Better save it for a rainy day. I bet you are missing you some Omaha this time of year. I rode up to a couple CWS games and loved the fact that with the bike I could park nice and close! In the past with my F150 SCREW I had to park out in the boonies.

#7 ·
Hey Crowe....I was gonna order one as mine is beginning to fray, and not ready to buy the ss braided either......Before I order, I would just as soon purchase one from a member here if you still want to sell it. Thanks

#8 ·
Hey Crowe....I was gonna order one as mine is beginning to fray, and not ready to buy the ss braided either......Before I order, I would just as soon purchase one from a member here if you still want to sell it. Thanks
Let me do some digging in the garage to make sure I still have it. I will PM you if I do and get your address. All I would need is enough to cover freight if even that.

#11 ·
I've never changed my clutch cable. I have 23K miles and after reading this thread, I'm concerned about it. Is there a best way to go about changing it? Do you start at the lever end or the other end to relieve the tension?
I don't remember the exact method I used when I changed mine. But I am only slightly mechanically inclined and I had no problems. I believe I just loosened the tensioning fittings on the tranny side. Then just unhooked the cable on the tranny side then the clutch handle side. Reverse the procedure for install. Two things; I believe the tranny side is for major tension and Clutch handle is for fine tuning the adjustment. Get it close and then use tension wheel on clutch to fine tune. Also make sure that if you accidentally unplug the two little wires near your clutch handle, remember to plug them in again. These are the wires that tell your bike that the clutch is pulled in. (Allows it to start when in gear if clutch is pulled in and kickstand up.) If they are unplugged then it will only start in neutral.

#12 ·
Once the jam nut is backed off - at lever -
Thread the guide all the way into the lever housing -
Should be able to pull cable out of guide when open slot is lined up -
Then position it to get ball end out of lever.

Best to remove lever and grease it's pivot for smooth action.
When tightening it''s bolt and locknut - take out as much slop as possible at the pivot when housing squeezes down on lever.

Make sure ball end is greased in the lever - so no binding is noticed.
Any restriction will break the cable strands little by little.
Also keep any part of cable free of any binding along the route.

#13 ·
I don't remember the exact method I used when I changed mine. But I am only slightly mechanically inclined and I had no problems. I believe I just loosened the tensioning fittings on the tranny side. Then just unhooked the cable on the tranny side then the clutch handle side. Reverse the procedure for install. Two things; I believe the tranny side is for major tension and Clutch handle is for fine tuning the adjustment. Get it close and then use tension wheel on clutch to fine tune. Also make sure that if you accidentally unplug the two little wires near your clutch handle, remember to plug them in again. These are the wires that tell your bike that the clutch is pulled in. (Allows it to start when in gear if clutch is pulled in and kickstand up.) If they are unplugged then it will only start in neutral.
Excellent answer, thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.