paint / body shop recommendation
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: paint / body shop recommendation

Default paint / body shop recommendation

There hasn't been a 'recommend a painter' thread in a few years, please drop a name if you know of someone local that can help me.

I had a custom job done on my tins (years ago) including a pop-up cap and it's peeling again. Have had it fixed a couple times already, looking for a more permanent fix by someone that has experience with 'problem children' tanks.

Thanks

Jim

"How hard can it be?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Do you not want to try BD or Ponyz? I know they aren't local to you but Ponyz is in the Pensacola area.
    2007 1300R Titanium, de-badged, Coyote gas cap hinge, National Cycle highway bars, progressive 412, loud ass Stebel horn, Batwing, Harley Aux Lights, Rivco solo rack and some Pony paint..

Can you explain a litle bit more? What is peelin? the clear coat or the paint itself? When you say "custom:" what that means? Any way to post a pic.? Then maybe we can help.
    There is someone ( Leonard) that does that for a living and have done some good jobs for VTXOA members. He's local.
    Try the pics first.
    2005 Black 1300 ( used to be a Silver R model )

I tried several shots, it's a little hard to capture in a picture but basically the paint starts bubbling up around the bung. Once that starts it's not too long before it looks like total crap. I guess the bung that was used isn't the best, I'm thinking a "permanent" fix might include replacing it which I'm not even sure is possible with all the bondo. Such shame as it's a beautiful paint job. I tried a trim ring also but it didn't fit that well, maybe your guy can fabricate one? That'd be the simplest solution.

Thanks for looking.

"How hard can it be?"

Looking at the photos I believe it can be done w/out screwing the paint. Maybe some "modification" and you still have the same. Leonard can fix it ( I believe). Send him a message and he will tell you.If does not help, let-me know.
    By the way: Do you know who did the paint work ( the original )?

BDS did the original work and I've had it repaired twice already by a guy in WPB. I don't want to spend more cash on the same type of repair, sand/repaint bung area, anymore. There is so much clear on the top of this tank because of the repairs that adding more will risk cracking. This is why I'm thinking a trim ring fabricated to the exact dimensions of the opening is probably the best idea. My fault, I should have asked for bodyshop/metal fabricator instead of a painter.

I really thought the last time would hold as we sealed the H out of the paint edge. Anyone reading this, either skip the pop-up or get a MUCH better one (pro one was brand) than I did.

"How hard can it be?"

Ok! Now I understand.

BDS painted the tank and was them who modified it? If so, Have you contacted him? As far as I know he's a very serious guy and I believe if he did the mod. He would stand by his work. Have you tried?
    Another option would be a shop making a adhesive that would fit around to disguise the problem. It would be much cheaper.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.