Honda VTX Forum banner

An Interesting Fuel Mileage Observation

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  speedsville 
#1 ·
The other day my son and I had one of those delightful but rare events in which we had an opportunity to ride together in Florida. He rode my 1800 2007 VTX for most of the day and I rode my 2008 Gold Wing. Our riding was mostly curvy back roads (yes there are some in Florida) and a 30 mile stretch of 65+ MPH. I outweigh him by a bit at 240 pounds. After 140 miles we fueled up and the VTX took 3.336 gallons. The Gold Wing took 3.31 gallons. Both bikes got over 40 MPG after adjusting for odometer error. Since the VTX isn't as aerodynamic as the Gold Wing, I think it did quite well.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Cruiser

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes, speed has the most to do with mileage. When I am on a trip, and cruising on the interstate at 75-80 mph, I go about 110 miles before the low fuel lite comes on. When I am up in the mts. (Catskils, Adirondacks, etc.) really jamming the back roads (all 4th and 3rd gear work) I have had the low fuel lite come on at 70 miles. Using more HP = lower mpg.

#5 ·
yes, speed has the most to do with mileage. When i am on a trip, and cruising on the interstate at 75-80 mph, i go about 110 miles before the low fuel lite comes on. When i am up in the mts. (catskils, adirondacks, etc.) really jamming the back roads (all 4th and 3rd gear work) i have had the low fuel lite come on at 70 miles. Using more hp = lower mpg.
you are running at higher alitude you will us more fuel, at highway speeds you will us a little more than normal , most of the time i' llget about 44 mpg .

#9 ·
you are running at higher alitude you will us more fuel, at highway speeds you will us a little more than normal , most of the time i' llget about 44 mpg .
No, the difference in my case has nothing to do with altitude (maximum change from 1000' to 3500') and all to do with throttle position (damn near wot on backroads vs. hardly open with 13 final at 75-80 mph on interstate) and rpm.

#12 ·
Yep mileage goes way up at slower speeds with gentle acceleration. Not unusual for me to get 42 to 46 MPG (corrected speedo and GPS) when on a group ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.