west virginia summer ride 2012
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: west virginia summer ride 2012

Default west virginia summer ride 2012

ride dates: july 14 and 15 2012

i will also be posting this ride on a couple of other sites, so the rooms may go faster...im not sure. just thought i would start the thread so everyone wishing to attend would have enough time to plan for it.

motel info:

pocahontas motel
    3731 stewart st
    welch wv 24801
    phone: (304) 436-2250
    ask for karen

count gilu motel
    201 vocational school rd
    welch wv 24801
    phone: (304) 436-3041

big four motel
    25925 coal heritage road
    route 52 north
    kimball wv 24853
    (304) 585-7313

not sure of the rates at any of the other places...but i know the pocahontas is giving a discount for the ride, and will be the cheapest. (same as last ride)

route and plans havent been made yet...will probably be spring before i devote any time to plans. just wanted to get this thread up and posted for those that are wanting a definite date to put in for vacation time.

friday evening at 7, for the people that arrive early there will be a buffet style dinner at the pizza factory in welch. the cost will be per person. if you get here before 7 on friday and would like to attend the dinner, please let me know...the restaurant needs a pretty accurate head count to prepare for the size of the group.
    PIZZA FACTORY
    751 Riverside Drive

Welch, WV 24801
    (304) 436-2200

both saturday and sunday mornings we will meet at the sterling drive in for breakfast at 8am. about 9:30 or 10 we will leave out and head on the days route plan. this cost will be whatever you order for yourself.
    STERLING DRIVE IN
    788 Stewart Street

Welch, WV 24801
    (304) 436-3271

saturday after the ride in davy, there will be a cookout with food supplied by myself and my family...and the grilling will be done by some friends in a mission group from savannah, ga. this meal is at no cost to anyone (although donations are very welcome to offset the costs of feeding such a large group).

there will also be a drawing for several door prizes that were donated by several companies during the cookout.

sunday after the ride, we will be eating at hillbilly hotdogs...and the cost there will be for whatever you eat. i have a menu, and we are going to try and have everyone choose what they want the morning of the ride and i will call the order in so they can get a jump on the group...that way we wont have to wait so long for our food. i have a menu i can email, and i think they also have one on their website as well.
    HILLBILLY HOTDOGS
    6951 Ohio River Road

Lesage, WV 25537
    (304) 762-2458
    www.hillbillyhotdogs.com

we are planning on sticking to the times as close as possible.
    dinner on friday the 13th at pizza factory...7:00pm
    breakfast saturday the 14th at sterling drive in...8:00am
    lunch at davy (cookout) saturday the 14th...3:00pm
    breakfast sunday the 15th at sterling drive in...8:00am
    lunch at hillbilly hotdogs in lesage, wv on sunday the 15th...3:00pm

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

as many on here know already (but for the newer members that dont)...the background on this ride is simply my way of thanking everyone for the help that was extended to myself and my family back on christmas eve of 2009 when our home burned down. if it werent for the help of the vtxoa, the vtxcafe and a couple of other great sites, my family would still be having a difficult time recovering. anyway, i would like to thank everyone here at the vtxoa once again...and extend an invitation to everyone for the ride here in july. hope some of you can make it...

also, i would like to offer an open invitation to anyone traveling in this area needing or wanting a place to stay or a "guided tour" of the wonderful roads in the southern wv mountains...you are more than welcome to stay here. just let me know...always a place to stay here
    Last edited by knightrook; 03-13-2012 at 02:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

just a bump for the ride...

How far from Snowshoe are you?
    Lots of people are like slinkies. Not much good for anything, but fun to watch when ya push 'em down the stairs.

05 1300 C / 02 1800 R

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchturner View Post
    How far from Snowshoe are you?
    i am about 3 1/2 hours from snowshoe.

I'm in!

got you on the list already chris

but thanks for the bump on here too

i know there doesnt seem to be much interest in this ride from the vtxoa...but just thought i would post a pic of the design i came up with for the back of the shirts for this ride...opinions?

Like the shirt design!! That's the same weekend as the WV HOG Rally if I'm not mistaken, and it's being held at Snowshoe, but seeing that we ride VTX's that shouldn't be a problem.
    Padre Blanco
    2007 VTX 1300 R Titanium, Honda 24L Bags, Memphis Shades Shield, Kury Flame Grips, Mustang Vintage Sport Touring Seat, Progressive Front Springs and Alls Balls Tapered Bearings

i never really checked to see if any larger events were on that same weekend...i just picked a weekend in july. i have had a few people from the goldwing forum say it was too close to vassir 5 for them to make it. couple of others have stated other local events, and some that stated other reasons they couldnt make it. its cool though...one of the motels here is almost booked up by the ride. last julys ride booked the pocahontas motel full by the end of march. so far this years ride already has about 8 rooms booked at the pocahontas...and i am not sure about count gilu or the big four. there will be atv riders taking rooms as well...summer is big here for out of state atv riders.

also, i wanted to let everyone know...when the rooms are gone at these three places, that will pretty much be it. next closest place for a room is about an hour away.

thanks all for your time...

I went to Snowshoe last year for Freedomfest, daddy daughter date weekend on the bike. Now the oldest wants to go to Snowshoe on the bike as well. Hmmmm...Where are you riding to and what days? I saw the Hillbilly hot dogs run, which route you hitting with that ride?
    Padre Blanco
    2007 VTX 1300 R Titanium, Honda 24L Bags, Memphis Shades Shield, Kury Flame Grips, Mustang Vintage Sport Touring Seat, Progressive Front Springs and Alls Balls Tapered Bearings

Default WV ride route

My brother from NJ and I (IL) have been considering meeting in WV for a ride- do you have more info & and a ride map you can post??
    Member # 38842 2007 1800C Ultimate X Seat, 1300 Final Dr, Paladin backrest, switchblade windshield, Corsair air intake. "There's a better way - find it" Thomas Edison.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre Blanco View Post
    I went to Snowshoe last year for Freedomfest, daddy daughter date weekend on the bike. Now the oldest wants to go to Snowshoe on the bike as well. Hmmmm...Where are you riding to and what days? I saw the Hillbilly hot dogs run, which route you hitting with that ride?
    saturday will be a ride staying mostly in this area...probably a loop from welch through pineville, across herndon mountain, into matoaka, across through bluewell, across a couple more mountains and finishing in davy where we will have someone cooking some hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, etc on the grill for the group. the sunday trip to lesage (hillbilly hotdogs) will be from welch to pineville and then along route 10 almost to huntington...then up ohio river road to lesage.

Quote Originally Posted by VTXRider66 View Post
    My brother from NJ and I (IL) have been considering meeting in WV for a ride- do you have more info & and a ride map you can post??
    i will try and do a map of the intended routes tonight. as far as info, most all the info i have is at the top of this thread. i am updating it now, so if you need any more info or specific info, please ask and i will do my best to answer.

I am from up in Fairmont (WV) and would love to do this ride but my old dirt bike buddy from my kid years is coming in from Tx to ride dirt bike at Hatfield trail system there in Buffalo that weekend. Enjoy!!!!!!

tshirt designs are done for the ride. basic designs are as follows...there will be two designs this year.
    design number one...

design number two...

anyone interested in a shirt or attending the ride...please let me know. shirts have to be ordered at least 4 weeks in advance to make sure they are printed in time for the ride.

JKESLING,we need all the WV people there we can get,them there sutherners out number us 20 to 1. I'm from Fmt myself,moved to Elkins in '93. PM me if your ever around here , like to meet up with other VTX riders. We ride to Fmt. all the time.

Thats cool, I did not know anyone from the area was on here! PM sent

I hope and wish I could make it. I grew up 30 miles from Welch and the rodes up there are awesome for riding. I went to Bramwell High School back in the 80's. Grew up there. Like most small town kids I couldn't wait to leave, Now I daydream of a time I can go back. Live down in N.C. now and the summer's are just too hot and humid. Maybe be able to get time off from work but that is a touchy time after the 4th. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by wp120470 View Post
    I hope and wish I could make it. I grew up 30 miles from Welch and the rodes up there are awesome for riding. I went to Bramwell High School back in the 80's. Grew up there. Like most small town kids I couldn't wait to leave, Now I daydream of a time I can go back. Live down in N.C. now and the summer's are just too hot and humid. Maybe be able to get time off from work but that is a touchy time after the 4th. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    hope you can make it too. there will be a few different groups riding up from different areas of nc. if you are able to come, just let me know and i can get you in touch with one in your area if you want to ride up with them. i know several people coming from raleigh/durham area. also, anytime you want to come up...just let me know. i can meet somewhere with you and refresh your memory on some of the great roads here...anytime you like.

now taking orders for shirts...the price will be $15 each to cover cost, expenses and paypal fees. have already placed the first order for 50...will be placing a couple more between now and the ordering deadline of saturday, june 09. anyone wishing to order a shirt...i will need your name, which design you want, color shirt (has to be a color that white ink will show up on) and size.

my paypal address...just message me and i will give it to you.

take care all...and hope to see a few of you here in july...
    ride safe and be careful...
    jimmy

Bump for my most highly anticipated group ride of the year! Dont know why more folks on here aren't all over this.

Sent from atop a honey pot in the 100 acre woods.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.