Need some local guidance
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some local guidance

Default Need some local guidance

I am looking at changing out my handlebars mostly for looks and then comfort and am debating 2 different options.
    1. 8” or 10” straight risers with a 30” wide drag bar
    2. 1" or 2” straight risers with Z bars (29” wide x 10” tall with 4.5” pull back) Would like to run them almost perpendicular with the road for a bit of a bobber look.
    Either Bars will be 1” diameter and will most likely be made for Harley application (no knurling or dimples). My questions are
    1. What is the max height I can go with the stock cables/brake line/etc on a 30” bar?
    2. If I can get either to work with my stock cables etc. which way to go (Z bars or Drag Bars)?
    I plan on running the cables behind the trees regardless as needed. Have no rake kit or fork extensions.

Aftermarket longer cables look expensive at first glance and I’ve heard R cables are a few inches longer and rather inexpensive in comparison.

I’d rather not buy the bars and just see what happens with the cables. I appreciate all your input.

Anybody have any suggestions. Really would like to do the Z Bars but don't want to drop another $250+ on cables and hoses.

Lastly how tough of a job for a guy with moderate mechanical aptitude will this be?

CROWE 06 1300C
    Bobber to Bagger---Custom Rear Fender and 6" over stock stretch Harley Bags. 14" Carlini Gangster Apes with Magnum Sterling Chromite Cables +8". Thunder Hurricane Intake. Mustang Wide Touring Seat. Lots of fiberglass fab and new paint. HK 2.5" Pipes, Kuryakyn Grips, Scythe Mirrors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

50 views and no comments from my local brotheren and sisteren?

CROWE 06 1300C
    Bobber to Bagger---Custom Rear Fender and 6" over stock stretch Harley Bags. 14" Carlini Gangster Apes with Magnum Sterling Chromite Cables +8". Thunder Hurricane Intake. Mustang Wide Touring Seat. Lots of fiberglass fab and new paint. HK 2.5" Pipes, Kuryakyn Grips, Scythe Mirrors.

From what I have gathered here the only way to get the right length is to get the bars you want, then using rope or something like it measure while going lock to lock and then order cables, unless its a popular choice of bars on the board there really no magic formula for calculating cable length, they say the R cables are only slightly longer then the C, I think less than an inch, I can tell ya that my Kewl Metal rises fit w no cable mod but the are tight

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    06 VTX 1800NEO SPEC3 ,Titanium
    VTX 1300C, Portland Gray Metallic "Under Construction"
    BuB Club member #368

Badger-

Appreciate the insight, Hope your build is going well.

Leave it to us portland grey metallic guys to stick togeather

CROWE 06 1300C

Heck ya!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    06 VTX 1800NEO SPEC3 ,Titanium
    VTX 1300C, Portland Gray Metallic "Under Construction"
    BuB Club member #368

Pretty much what Badger said. If you want it to look good buy the bars and risers you want then take the measurement for the best fit. Usually when you order cables you order them + however many inches above stock. For example, when I put my apes on I put 18" apes and ordered my cables +12 above stock. Another suggestion is to run the electrical through your bars. Makes for a cleaner look. If you need any help just ask. Maybe we can have a tech day like we use to. Here's a pic of my apes.

X with Apes.jpg

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.