why difference in mileage per tank on similar bike? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why difference in mileage per tank on similar bike?

We have a 07 1300 R and we get 150-170 miles per tank on highway or off...... Winshield, seats and bags, the rest is stock.........
    07 1300R, Ultimate seats, 2 up shield, rest stock... need bags, hiway bars, woodys fairing....

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

I havent changed my plugs or air filter. Think that could have that much effect
    Anthony 2007 VTX -SR

Weird. I just inspected my air filter looked ok so put it back in. and drained breather tube.( about inch of stuff) bikes milage went from 3.3 gal per 90 miles to 2.8. Plus I was able to get to 115 indicated and had some left. Posted a pic last week bike wouldn't go past 105 indicated before.

What could of changed? But I'm happy.
    Anthony 2007 VTX -SR

Quote Originally Posted by Tonytiger1 View Post
    Weird. I just inspected my air filter looked ok so put it back in. and drained breather tube.( about inch of stuff) bikes milage went from 3.3 gal per 90 miles to 2.8. Plus I was able to get to 115 indicated and had some left. Posted a pic last week bike wouldn't go past 105 indicated before.

What could of changed? But I'm happy.
    Have you done any carb changes to your bike or is it stock. You may need to go to a bigger slow and main jet to get that mileage up.

Donut
    Donut Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Have you done any carb changes to your bike or is it stock. You may need to go to a bigger slow and main jet to get that mileage up.

Donut
    All stock
    Anthony 2007 VTX -SR

All stock
    OK if it was mine I would change the slow jet to a 58 and also change the main jet to a 210 (factory Pro jets only and not Dj's).
    I would also install Glen's Permanent a/f adjuster so you wont need to use the choke.

Donut
    Donut Doug

OK if it was mine I would change the slow jet to a 58 and also change the main jet to a 210 (factory Pro jets only and not Dj's).
    I would also install Glen's Permanent a/f adjuster so you wont need to use the choke.

Donut
    Question. Unless I have read something wrong. I thought Honda had their bike set to lean for inspection reasons. Why would a stock bike run rich. .?
    Anthony 2007 VTX -SR

Question. Unless I have read something wrong. I thought Honda had their bike set to lean for inspection reasons. Why would a stock bike run rich. .?
    They are set lean on the low end. And using the choke to compensates for the leanness however the choke on these bikes are not like the old fashion butterfly type, the choke on these bikes dump a whole heck of a lot of gas in really fast and fouling the plugs fast. As far as adding a larger main jet you will have more power and actually the gas mileage will go up. Also setting the a/f to 2.5 turns allows more gas in for starting and most of the time no choke is needed. Doing these things just makes the bike run better.

Donut
    Donut Doug

They are set lean on the low end. And using the choke to compensates for the leanness however the choke on these bikes are not like the old fashion butterfly type, the choke on these bikes dump a whole heck of a lot of gas in really fast and fouling the plugs fast. As far as adding a larger main jet you will have more power and actually the gas mileage will go up. Also setting the a/f to 2.5 turns allows more gas in for starting and most of the time no choke is needed. Doing these things just makes the bike run better.

Donut

And what does richening up the low end do? Same thing, but running low end rich all the time. Shimming the needle will take care of the cold morning starts. Problem most have on a stock setting and using the choke is there not pulling it all the way out. You need to pull the choke all the way out. Only 1/8- 1/2 will load the plugs up, all the way out and the rpm's will be so high, theres no way it will foul the plugs. Wonder why a lot say my mileage dropped, or it smell rich at idle. 2 1/2 turns out is bull chit and not how to set the A/F. my bike always tunes out at 1 5/8 out, no matter what jets I run other than using the 58 slow jet which tunes out at only one. I don't need no choke, but I use it due to the clutch groan I get cold. It idles so high with the choke and never had a problem.
    Last edited by Eazy-E; 02-06-2012 at 02:58 PM.

06 Tangelo Pearl 1300C ( Fastest Color)/ 00 Vulcan Nomad 1500 in super slow Black
    http://www.bdscycles.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy-E View Post
    And what does richening up the low end do? Same thing, but running low end rich all the time. Shimming the needle will take care of the cold morning starts. Problem most have on a stock setting and using the choke is there not pulling it all the way out. You need to pull the choke all the way out. Only 1/8- 1/2 will load the plugs up, all the way out and the rpm's will be so high, theres no way it will foul the plugs. Wonder why a lot say my mileage dropped, or it smell rich at idle. 2 1/2 turns out is bull chit and not how to set the A/F. my bike always tunes out at 1 5/8 out, no matter what jets I run other than the slow jet which tunes out at only one. I don't need no choke, but I use it due to the clutch groan I get cold. It idles so high with the choke and never had a problem.
    Well what works for you is OK. But in general 99% who makes the changed say they bike runs and starts better and if you can get every bike to run and start like you said then go fore it. And also try it in a colder climate. I personally like not having to use the choke. Those that are the carb gurus on two boards also recommend doing the changes. If everyone went by what you are saying then I am pretty sure this and the other board's would be full of very unhappy bike owners that can't get their bikes started and running right. Then Why,Why are there Many over the years that are so happy. Whose to say the bike was setup right from the factory. In general across the board these changes take 99% of the starting problems go away. We have just found a way that will work on all the bikes that are having starting problems.

Donut
    Donut Doug

And what does richening up the low end do? Same thing, but running low end rich all the time. Shimming the needle will take care of the cold morning starts. Problem most have on a stock setting and using the choke is there not pulling it all the way out. You need to pull the choke all the way out. Only 1/8- 1/2 will load the plugs up, all the way out and the rpm's will be so high, theres no way it will foul the plugs. Wonder why a lot say my mileage dropped, or it smell rich at idle. 2 1/2 turns out is bull chit and not how to set the A/F. my bike always tunes out at 1 5/8 out, no matter what jets I run other than the slow jet which tunes out at only one. I don't need no choke, but I use it due to the clutch groan I get cold. It idles so high with the choke and never had a problem.
    no matter what slow jet i put in the a/f always ends up at 1 5/8 to 1 3/4. i tried the 2 -2 1/2 turns and the engine ran horribly rich at idle. the low end ran fine but way to rich at idle. as for the choke. for the first 2 years of this bike and several on a nighthawk 750. i have never fouled plugs using the choke. just follow the directions in the manual and you will not have an issue.

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine
    Where is our government!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Riddle View Post
    no matter what slow jet i put in the a/f always ends up at 1 5/8 to 1 3/4. i tried the 2 -2 1/2 turns and the engine ran horribly rich at idle. the low end ran fine but way to rich at idle. as for the choke. for the first 2 years of this bike and several on a nighthawk 750. i have never fouled plugs using the choke. just follow the directions in the manual and you will not have an issue.
    Greg the 2.5 turns are based on a stock intake. I believe toy are running s spiker and possibly decaped air box and that would call for closing the a/f down some. And also you have re jetted.
    Last edited by Donut; 02-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    Donut Doug

Miles per tank means nothing, It's per-mile, period.
    Per tank is BS, for info data.
    Too lazy to figure it out or what..?

You purchased the last vehicle on strictly MPG.\, WTF..

Donut
    Thanks. I think I might go for it. What the approx cost got jetting
    Anthony 2007 VTX -SR

Well what works for you is OK. But in general 99% who makes the changed say they bike runs and starts better and if you can get every bike to run and start like you said then go fore it. And also try it in a colder climate. I personally like not having to use the choke. Those that are the carb gurus on two boards also recommend doing the changes. If everyone went by what you are saying then I am pretty sure this and the other board's would be full of very unhappy bike owners that can't get their bikes started and running right. Then Why,Why are there Many over the years that are so happy. Whose to say the bike was setup right from the factory. In general across the board these changes take 99% of the starting problems go away. We have just found a way that will work on all the bikes that are having starting problems.

Donut

I'm beating a dead horse here.
    It's going to start better, due to richening it up. Same as the choke, but your running it rich all the time. Idle drop procedure is the right way, and I am a carb gurus. I was a auto mechanic for many years and had many hot rods. I know it's different up north and not all mix is going to be the exactly same, but it will be close. I fixed many of X's here that screwed with the mix, due to reading what Scars mod started. Monkey see, monkey do! Not trying to start nothing, just saying the 2.5 turns out helps it start, but it's not right and those that don't know what there doing are going to do what they read here. Rather than telling everyone to turn it out 2.5 turns, why not tell them to set the mix with the right way too. Not everyone lives up there, and those down here wand up having mixture problems due to what they hear/read. A 1/8 turn out from idle drop procedure and a shim under the needle will fix most. I'm done with this horse!

Gonzo's link to the right way. http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/...%3Dtune001.mp4
    Last edited by Eazy-E; 02-06-2012 at 04:02 PM.

06 Tangelo Pearl 1300C ( Fastest Color)/ 00 Vulcan Nomad 1500 in super slow Black

This is a copy and past of a post of Gonzo's. Yesterday.

Factory Pro Stage 3 Kits on Sale!

$54.74 Free Shipping.

(I paid $68 for mine)

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Pro-Tu...dp/B00317BCZQ/

This is a really good price.

Donut
    Donut Doug

This is a copy and past of a post of Gonzo's. Yesterday.

Factory Pro Stage 3 Kits on Sale!

$54.74 Free Shipping.

(I paid $68 for mine)

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Pro-Tu...dp/B00317BCZQ/

This is a really good price.

Donut

That is a good price, I paid 67

Default I have no idea..

how to do what any of ya'll are talking about! I just start my bike and it runs. I've never messed with anything on the bike except adding accessories that make me comfy and it has ran like a champ for 4 years! Lord knows I'm not a mechanic and if I even tried to do some of that stuff my bike would probably never start again..lol
    2005 Gray VTX 1300C, Kuryakyn Hwy Lights, Windshield, Cheap Saddlebags, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs and Grips, Kuryakyn Floorboards, Hondaline Luggage Rack, 2 Piece Mustang seat...a work in progress!

I'm beating a dead horse here.
    It's going to start better, due to richening it up. Same as the choke, but your running it rich all the time. Idle drop procedure is the right way, and I am a carb gurus. I was a auto mechanic for many years and had many hot rods. I know it's different up north and not all mix is going to be the exactly same, but it will be close. I fixed many of X's here that screwed with the mix, due to reading what Scars mod started. Monkey see, monkey do! Not trying to start nothing, just saying the 2.5 turns out helps it start, but it's not right and those that don't know what there doing are going to do what they read here. Rather than telling everyone to turn it out 2.5 turns, why not tell them to set the mix with the right way too. Not everyone lives up there, and those down here wand up having mixture problems due to what they hear/read. A 1/8 turn out from idle drop procedure and a shim under the needle will fix most. I'm done with this horse!

Gonzo's link to the right way. http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/...%3Dtune001.mp4
    Thank you!!!

This one size fits all repair approach has got to stop! The choke is there for a reason and will not cause a problem if used properly. When it's cold out your engine needs a richer mix until it warms up. There's two ways to do it; reduce the incoming air, or increase the amount of fuel. Many motorcycles use an enricher (that's right, it's not called an "enhancer") to deliver more fuel. The reason they use an enricher circuit is because it's more compact than adding a butterfly choke to the carb. Setting your pilot circuit overly rich to allow for starting without the choke only results in running rich once it's up to operating temp. To anyone that wants their bike to run properly, perform the following three checklist items:

1. Set your pilot screw with an idle drop procedure as provided by Eazy-E. (I have multiple pasted instructions in various threads as well).

2. Set your idle speed at operating temp to 900rpm +/- 100rpm. (I actually run mine at 1000rpm)

3. Use your choke/enricher (that's right, it's not called an "enhancer") only when your bike will not start without it, and use it according to the manual instructions.

Now here's a couple reference items for ya'lls enjoyment:

Don't have a tach, no problem:

And what d'ya'know, Honda actually gave us all instructions for how to operate the bike...

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    support your
    LOCAL 81

Greg the 2.5 turns are based on a stock intake. I believe toy are running s spiker and possibly decaped air box and that would call for closing the a/f down some. And also you have re jetted.
    the first kinda confused me. more air = use less fuel. the rejet doesnt change the idle drop procedure. 2 1/2 turns even with the stock pilot jet still makes it to rich at idle.

the problems that are causing all the confusion are

telling people that the choke is bad. it is there for a reason. and used properly will not foul the plugs. the argument about the choke being an enricher is pointless. if the choke was a choke plate it would do the same thing. the both do the same thing just in different ways.

the other problem is people using the a/f screw to compensate for incorrect slow jet size. if you need to set the a/f at something other than close to idle drop to get the proper tune you should fix whats wrong not cover it up. setting the a/f at anything other than around the idle drop just makes the engine run rich at idle and cause carbon buildup.

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine
    Where is our government!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Riddle View Post
    the first kinda confused me. more air = use less fuel. the rejet doesnt change the idle drop procedure. 2 1/2 turns even with the stock pilot jet still makes it to rich at idle.

the problems that are causing all the confusion are

telling people that the choke is bad. it is there for a reason. and used properly will not foul the plugs. the argument about the choke being an enricher is pointless. if the choke was a choke plate it would do the same thing. the both do the same thing just in different ways.

the other problem is people using the a/f screw to compensate for incorrect slow jet size. if you need to set the a/f at something other than close to idle drop to get the proper tune you should fix whats wrong not cover it up. setting the a/f at anything other than around the idle drop just makes the engine run rich at idle and cause carbon buildup.
    Bingo!
    I don't need no choke to start mine. When it was new/stock I did, but not after re-jetting and I have the stock slow jet and A/f setting. Just tired of the turn your A/F mix out 2.5 turns. I use mine now due to the clutch groan, because I don,t feel like sitting there pumping the clutch lever till I fix that. But if the choke is pulled all the way out, mine revs so high there's no way it's gonna foul plugs. For those who's choke knob slides back in on it's own, there a friction ring behind the rubber boot behind the knob. Turn it to the right a little and it will add more friction so it won't slide back in.

Bingo!
    I don't need no choke to start mine. When it was new/stock I did, but not after re-jetting and I have the stock slow jet and A/f setting. Just tired of the turn your A/F mix out 2.5 turns. I use mine now due to the clutch groan, because I don,t feel like sitting there pumping the clutch lever till I fix that. But if the choke is pulled all the way out, mine revs so high there's no way it's gonna foul plugs. For those who's choke knob slides back in on it's own, there a friction ring behind the rubber boot behind the knob. Turn it to the right a little and it will add more friction so it won't slide back in.
    i use the choke when it 30 or below

Where is our government!

Greg I agree with you. The problem is some have a have a habit to pull the choke out all the way out like in the old days. When I first got my bike years ago I didn't know any better and did that. Yes using the choke just a little is OK but a little to me may be a lot and different from someone eases little. So making the a/f adjustment and in some cases changes like a larger slow jet is just a different way of helping it start better. I like not having to use the choke in warm weather and with the larger slow jet it can flood even easier with the choke. In cold weather I do use my choke just a little just for the initial firing/starting then it will sputter quickly if I don't shove it in quickly and then I use my throttle lock.

Doug
    Donut Doug

Greg I agree with you. The problem is some have a have a habit to pull the choke out all the way out like in the old days. When I first got my bike years ago I didn't know any better and did that. Yes using the choke just a little is OK but a little to me may be a lot and different from someone eases little. So making the a/f adjustment and in some cases changes like a larger slow jet is just a different way of helping it start better. I like not having to use the choke in warm weather and with the larger slow jet it can flood even easier with the choke. In cold weather I do use my choke just a little just for the initial firing/starting then it will sputter quickly if I don't shove it in quickly and then I use my throttle lock.

Doug
    That's odd, cause every X I fooled with here is the opposite. If the choke is only pulled out a little, it sputters bad and starts loading up the plugs. All the way out,the bike idles very high. Just asking due to knowing your set a 2.5 out, if that's because your rich at idle already?? On a cold morning I'd like to know how it idles when you pull it all the way out.??
    Last edited by Eazy-E; 02-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Put a new air filter in. Was hoping to get a good fuel mpg improvement tomorrow. Just checked 18mph headwind for my ride tomorrow.
    Anthony 2007 VTX -SR

If Honda would have set the a/f for the bike to run properly and not to please the EPA most would not have the problems with starting their bikes but since they set them to lean and some are using the choke to compensate for the leanness and it is very easy to flood the bike. So making some changes so the choke is hardly needed makes more sense to me.

Donut/Doug
    Donut Doug

Correct.. It's called the inverse square law..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Cool responsive....

I think I had a friend with pilot license (know it azz but a friend as well) tell me that for every time you double your speed you get 4 time the wind resistance...
    so at 60mph you have 4 time more resistance than 30mph.....

Of course if he is wrong I would like to through it in his face...
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Albert Einstein

You guys are really short on gas mileage .. I ride 2 up mostly ,gal is 120 ,i'm 140 have a Honda boulevard shield and commonly run 200 miles before hitting reserve..and yes I have a GPS..
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by silvervtx04s View Post
    You guys are really short on gas mileage .. I ride 2 up mostly ,gal is 120 ,i'm 140 have a Honda boulevard shield and commonly run 200 miles before hitting reserve..and yes I have a GPS..
    You don't 2 up at 90.indicated. Do you?
    Anthony 2007 VTX -SR

If you want to be picky, their a ton or reasons. Jetting and how lean or rich your running, intake and how clean you keep it, tire pressure. Keep in mind they are not hand built and they all are a little different. Best millage I ever had was on the way to Leesburg, I was babying it and I got 160 before I hit reserve, that's the only time I have managed to do that, just love getting on it, my average is very close to what your getting. Also I have Tornado intake, 210 main,2.5 out, can't remember where I have the the slide set, never use the choke and I'm a little rick, but she runs great like that. Dyno was 61 after mods. Smitt
    Last edited by Fla.Cableguy; 02-24-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    Lot's of time and money. I trust no one's wrench, but my own. Avon Monster Club, Black Out Club, Mat Black Fastest Color....Pay it forward .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.