Honda VTX Forum banner

Fork spring swap.... any speical tools needed?

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  hawkvtx 
#1 ·
Looking at changing the front springs on my VTX and curious if I need any special tools. Fork seals and bushings were replaced by previous owner and not leaking. What do I need??

#3 ·
Keep in mind Honda upgraded the springs on the 1800's starting with the 05 models. If you'll look at Progressives website they only show the springs available for 02-04 models. The reasoning is they won't make that much difference. They'll work in your 05 but the difference is negligible. If I had to do all over again I wouldn't have bothered. The stock springs are just as good if not better than the Progressives is my opinion.
If you're just itching to change them look at either the Goldwing springs, ( which will change the height of the bike) or Racetechs. If it were me... I'd just skip it and ride on.

#4 ·
:agree:
Or if your looking for a firmer feel you can just change your fork oil with a heavier weight.

#6 ·
Keep in mind Honda upgraded the springs on the 1800's starting with the 05 models. If you'll look at Progressives website they only show the springs available for 02-04 models. The reasoning is they won't make that much difference. They'll work in your 05 but the difference is negligible. If I had to do all over again I wouldn't have bothered. The stock springs are just as good if not better than the Progressives is my opinion.
If you're just itching to change them look at either the Goldwing springs, ( which will change the height of the bike) or Racetechs. If it were me... I'd just skip it and ride on.
Good to know! Mine was manufactured late 05 early 06

#7 ·
Good to know! Mine was manufactured late 05 early 06
Also remember that this is just the 1800 springs. Why they didn't upgrade the 1300 springs I don't know. Of course I don't know why they didn't upgrade the bearings in the 1300's either. Anyway after I changed to Progressives I noticed a little difference in the low speed handling but other than that no real difference. Nathan (Battles06) who helped me with the project took my stock springs and put them in his dad's 02 1800 and claimed the difference was night and day.

#11 ·
Also remember that this is just the 1800 springs. Why they didn't upgrade the 1300 springs I don't know. Of course I don't know why they didn't upgrade the bearings in the 1300's either. Anyway after I changed to Progressives I noticed a little difference in the low speed handling but other than that no real difference. Nathan (Battles06) who helped me with the project took my stock springs and put them in his dad's 02 1800 and claimed the difference was night and day.
End of the year project is to change to a little heavier fork oil. That will firm up the front end a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.