Honda VTX Forum banner

Fastest 0-60 cruisers

28K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  MR VTX 
#1 ·
Considering I don't think of the Ducati Diavel as a classic "cruiser", Honda shows pretty well here with the new Valkyrie and f6b (Cycle World didn't include it as a cruiser although it beat the HD Road Glide Anniversary Edition). Then again, they aren't classic cruisers either.

Interesting that the Victory 8 Ball is here but I didn't find it felt incredibly fast on a test ride. More peppy than powerful. But hell, at these speeds they're all plenty fast ;)

[h=1]9 Fastest Cruiser Motorcycles From 0-60[/h]ERIC SCHAAL | MORE ARTICLESJUNE 14, 2014

Big, brawny cruisers tell a lot of the story of American motorcycles, and they do it mostly in sounds. There is no mistaking the roar of an 1800cc engine and the assault it makes on the road and eardrums of anyone in the vicinity.
They aren’t sport bikes, but some cruisers can perform on the same level as the world’s fastest bikes while weighing several hundred pounds more. The trick is stacking the right level of power to carry the weight, along with the rider gripping the handles. Here are the nine fastest cruisers based on 0-60 mile-per-hour times. In most cases, Motorcycle News testers supplied the times for each bike, while in other cases, in-depth Cycle World reviews delivered more recent times for the bikes in question.

Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Source: Kawasaki
[h=4]9. Kawasaki Vulcan 2000: 3.95 seconds[/h]Though Kawasaki is currently not selling the Vulcan 2000 model new, there are enough around for cruisers to know this bike on the highway. According to the top time tested by Motorcycle News, the Vulcan can take its 818 pounds from 0-60 miles per hour in 3.95 seconds. Its power plant can produce a maximum 117 pound-feet of torque along with 90 horsepower.
Victory 8 Ball Source: Victory
[h=4]8. Victory 8 Ball: 3.88 seconds[/h]Using 110 pound-feet of torque and 105 horseppwer, Victory’s Vegas 8-Ball can sprint from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds on its best runs. For a cruiser, it weighs in on the light side at 638 pounds dry. In terms of image, riders love the look of the classic V/106 and the sound of the 1731cc engine. It’s old-school muscle and style at its best. Motorcycle News clocked its best 0-60 time at 3.88 seconds.
Harley-Davidson CVO Road Glide Source: Harley-Davidson
[h=4]7. Harley-Davidson CVO Road Glide: 3.7 seconds[/h]To gauge the power of the Harley CVO Road Glide Custom Anniversary Edition, Cycle World pitted the beast against a Honda Gold Wing F6B Deluxe in what must have been an incredibly entertaining test. For its part, the Harley CVO Road Glide was able to use its 110 pound-feet of torque and 91 horsepower to blast from 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. It wasn’t faster than the Honda, but it was good enough to place it in the list of top cruisers on the road.
Suzuki Boulevard M109 B.O.S.S Source: Suzuki
[h=4]6. Suzuki Boulevard M109 B.O.S.S.: 3.65 seconds[/h]Suzuki’s Boulevard M109 B.O.S.S. is known as one of the beasts of the open road. With 97 pound-feet of torque and 105 horsepower, the 1793cc B.O.S.S. made its fastest 0-60 run in 3.65 seconds. The 2014 model weighs in at 764 pounds at the curb.
Harley-Davidson V-Rod Source: Harley-Davidson
[h=4]5. Harley-Davidson V-Rod: 3.59 seconds[/h]A previous model of the Harley-Davidson VRSC V-Rod was clocked by Motorcycle News going 0-60 in 3.59 seconds. The latest model has upgraded its torque from 72 pound-feet to 83 pound-feet, while the weight has jumped from 619 pounds to a menacing 666 pounds at the curb.
Honda Gold Wing Valkyrie Source: Honda
[h=4]4. Honda Gold Wing Valkyrie: 3.3 seconds[/h]Honda’s monstrous Gold Wing squared off against the H-D Road Glide Custom in Cycle World tests and won in the 0-60 sprint, with a time of 3.3 seconds. It matches the best time posted by any Gold Wing model. Packing an engine of 1832cc capable of 110 pound-feet of torque on 104 horsepower, the Valkyrie is ready to match nearly any cruiser on the road.
Triumph Rocket Roadster Source: Triumph
[h=4]3. Triumph Rocket Roadster: 3.3 seconds[/h]With 148 horsepower and 163 pound-feet of torque to power a wet weight of 809 pounds, it is easy to see why this Triumph bike is called the Rocket. It houses the world’s biggest production motorcycle engine (an imposing 2249cc) and can power from 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. The 2010 model ran the quarter-mile in 11.48 seconds.
Ducati Diavel Source: Ducati
[h=4]2. Ducati Diavel: 2.8 seconds[/h]For those who wouldn’t count the Ducati Diavel Strada a cruiser, it’s fine to take the Rocket as the leader of the pack and call it a day. Those who are willing to include a “performance cruiser” will want a sprint on the Ducati Diavel, a bike that can go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds in runs confirmed by Motorcycle News. Powering the Diavel is the 1198cc engine, while the bike’s wet weight is just 557 pounds.
Yamaha Star VMAX Source: Yamaha
[h=4]1. Yamaha Star VMAX: 2.5 seconds[/h]Cycle World ran the Star VMax against the Triumph Rocket in order to see which cruiser could run 0-60 fastest. That test pegged the VMax at 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, which made it the fastest bike that still makes for good long-range riding. It houses a 1679cc engine capable of 179 horsepower and 114 pound-feet of torque. Weighing in at 695 pounds, it can match the Diavel on pound-for-pound power.
On that note, rider weights and skills are always going to factor into the bike with the fastest 0-60 times. All things equal, the Star VMax is likely to outperform any classic cruiser. If the Diavel is included in the segment, it will always be a horse race.

Read more: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automob...ycles-from-0-60.html/?a=viewall#ixzz34ugzCTnq

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not concerned with the 0 - 60 bike since my '05 VTX1800R will still get it (completely stock) with no problems, besides .... that's just a bit more wear on the clutch, tires and everything else.

My concern is what will go from 80 - 65 in a heart beat or even from 80 - 0 even faster!!!! If there's something out there which could slow down or even come to a stop (and make my eyes bug out from negative G-force), I'd consider it. Just sayin' ......

#3 ·
Dunno where my '97 Valkyrie would have fallen in the 0-60 but I recall a ¼-mile time of 12.12 @ 108mph in some magazine and I have a slip somewhere for me doing a 12.30 @ 104. Until too many articles and reports came out, Allstate was calling it a "Touring Bike" and giving me rates as if it was just a cheaper version GoldWing :mrgreen: The Ducati Diavel Strada sure looks like a sportbike to me but that's OK, the article was fair about that IMHO.

#4 ·
#5 ·
They left the VTX out. Per Motorcycle News at 3.81 seconds from 0-60 it falls in between the CVO and the 8-ball.

12.12 @ 109.5mph in the 1/4 mile.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2013JanPerfIndx.pdf
I'm pretty sure they were looking at current models only. But no doubt it still holds its own considering the CVO would be at least 6-8X the current VTX 1800 value ;)

They don't use the base Street Glide or RG for any of these comparisons

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure they were looking at current models only.

Well, you are pretty wrong. ;)

They start off with the no longer produced Vulcan 2000. It is NOT a current model. Go back and check.

But the guy is totally f'd up. The CVO was tested against the F6B- NOT the Valk. He didn't even get that right.

The F6B is 3.3 seconds to 60, tying with the rocket roadster. AND THE F6B IS A BAGGER! It will beat the Rocket tourer.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/2...s-honda-gold-wing-f6b-deluxe-comparison-test/

The Valk will be faster yet. And no doubt the new cruiser to beat.

He is right about one thing, the Diavel and V-max are not normally considered cruisers.

#8 ·
Yeah they forgot about the honda v65 with a 0-60 @ 2.2 sec and a1/4 mile in undee 11 sec
Sent from stone tablet and chisel
That v65 is a real sleeper now days. Most have no clue what they are. One pulled up next to me and my buddies and i said hi to the guy. My buddy commented "wow thats a little bike". I said ya... But none of our bikes can catch it. He didn't beleive me till he looked it up.

#9 ·
Comparison

This only looked at 'new' bikes, so wouldn't compare against the old Valkyrie or the V65 either.

I saw one of the Triumph Rocket bikes, as it was going slow in traffic. The rider was almost literally 'hopping' that bike around. It looked like, when he let out the clutch, that the bike 'hopped' up off the ground about 6 inches, even though it only moved forward about 3 feet. It was incredible to watch! And, if you think about that bike having nearly double the CCs of most of the others, well, it makes sense that it should be at least near the top of the list.

A friend of mine has an older V-Max, and he says that it's 'scary' fast, like a Hiyabussa, but also not as great on the turns. It's great on the straight roads, but twisty curves, not so much. Probably the same for this new one, at least according to Motorcyclist, I think. Wouldn't surprise me if the same was true of most of these.

#10 ·
This only looked at 'new' bikes, so wouldn't compare against the old Valkyrie or the V65 either.

I saw one of the Triumph Rocket bikes, as it was going slow in traffic. The rider was almost literally 'hopping' that bike around. It looked like, when he let out the clutch, that the bike 'hopped' up off the ground about 6 inches, even though it only move7d forward about 3 feet. It was incredible to watch! And, if you think about that bike having nearly double the CCs of most of the others, well, it makes sense that it should be at least near the top of the list.

A friend of mine has an older V-Max, and he says that it's 'scary' fast, like a Hiyabussa, but also not as great on the turns. It's great on the straight roads, but twisty curves, not so much. Probably the same for this new one, at least according to Motorcyclist, I think. Wouldn't surprise me if the same was true of most of these.
The Valk got good reviews for twisties. Probably 2nd best in this group of 9. Ducati first.

#11 ·
Did anyone catch the horsepower and torque numbers for the new VMax?

179 horsepower and 114 pound-feet of torque. Weighing in at 695 pounds

THAT's impressive.

I've only ever seen one, and it was here locally. Some of it is a little weird looking, but just about all of the new bikes fall into this category

#13 ·
The new VMax makes awesome power, but at a cost. Most road tests have averaged around 25-26 mpg. And if you ride it hard, one test got only 20.6 mpg. That means with a 4 gallon tank, you are probably not going more than 90 miles before a fill up. That's pretty pathetic range for a cruiser.
Pipe wrench Tool Nozzle Metalworking hand tool Cutting tool

#14 ·
I've been running holeshot races since I bought my XC in late '01.

I've beat vrods and all other kind of Harleys, vmaxes, busas, blackbirds, Vulcan 2000s and EVERYTHING except one bike.

It was a one-off pro street style powered by a monster 131 ci merch.
I ran it twice on Pines blvd outta Hooters during bikenite on Wed. in ft.lauderdale.The thing was god-awlful quick. Both runs. I never had a chance.
This was jus after having my a/f/exhaust mods and TFI dyno tuned to give me 102 hp.

#15 ·
I saw one of the Triumph Rocket bikes, as it was going slow in traffic. The rider was almost literally 'hopping' that bike around. It looked like, when he let out the clutch, that the bike 'hopped' up off the ground about 6 inches, even though it only moved forward about 3 feet. It was incredible to watch! And, if you think about that bike having nearly double the CCs of most of the others, well, it makes sense that it should be at least near the top of the list.

If you ever get a chance to ride an R3, do it. I was giggling like a schoolgirl when I rode my neighbor's R3 to one of our Meet-n-Greets and ran away from some 1800s after dinner. Fun times indeed.

I've been running holeshot races since I bought my XC in late '01.

I've beat vrods and all other kind of Harleys, vmaxes, busas, blackbirds, Vulcan 2000s and EVERYTHING except one bike.

It was a one-off pro street style powered by a monster 131 ci merch.
I ran it twice on Pines blvd outta Hooters during bikenite on Wed. in ft.lauderdale.The thing was god-awlful quick. Both runs. I never had a chance.
This was jus after having my a/f/exhaust mods and TFI dyno tuned to give me 102 hp.
You were just the better rider in those races. I've seen good riders on V-Rods, 'Busas and V-Maxes absolutely crush 1800s...some of the 1800s were hopped up with performance upgrades, too. Most races depend on the rider's ability and if he/she knows how to race. I beat an 1800 at the 1/4-mile track...once. He spun out on takeoff. :mrgreen:

#17 ·
one of many drag-bikes I used to race was a V Max

It was fun, fun, FUN.....

and yes,.....it is true
there is a technique to being fast :yikes:

my $ .02

:doorag:
Quick off the line and fast at the finish line are two different dealios.

From a dead stop,...jus lean forward, hammer the throttle and short shift. Short haul hole shot is over quickly.
For full 1/4 mile races,....vmax and busa WILL pass but, FIRST they gotta catch up.

The buyer I sold my Max to was a better rider than me but, couldn't beat me no matter what.
Sure he had more HP but, torque is what counts off the line.

vrods,..never did catch up,..( a few to WOT on turnpike ) and no doubt they tried. :lol:

FTR,..I rode a r3 when they first came out. Nice bike but, not one I'd wanna own due to it being too bulky and fugly.

#18 ·
1. V Max is considered a "Standard" and should not be in the "Cruiser" list
2. The Duc is a FRIGIN "Naked" Sport bike.

Give me a break on both. Id love to have the Max, but at 20k? Hell No! Ill take the M109R instead.

#21 ·
I agree. Some of the bikes on that list are not cruisers. . . more like "fastest non sport bike motorcycles"
Agreed.

The Max is a standand moto for sure. I had a Duc Monster in NC and it was as well a standard moto. Great in the mountains. Terrible on the interstate.

I haven't run a 109 yet cuz no pne around here owns one. I would expect it to be close nuff where skill will be a factor.
The Max was for 13 years as trouble free as my Xc has been so far. However, for long trips,...the HOnda beats it in comfort by a million miles.

#22 ·

I have a neighbor/ friend that also has an older V Max. He used to have a Kaw 1000 Turbo, so it stands to reason he'd want something similarly and equally quick.

#23 ·
Vic just behind M-109

I saw stats on the Internet the other day, alleging that the new Victory 106 will do a quarter mile in 12.03/109.4 mph, which is just a smidge behind a Suzuki M-109.
I just bought a new 2015 Victory Gunner, and it's really got go. The motors on the new Vics are hopped up.

Billy

#24 ·
​The thing that puzzles me is how the Ducati is considered a cruiser. Where do you hang the bags?

Also the Yamaha VMAX is one butt fugly bike, it might be fast if that is all you want, then go for it.

I want comfort, first and super fast is way down the list.

Perry

#25 ·
I rode my friend's M109R and it is very fast. But what I noticed more when comparing it to the 1800 VTX is that it revs so much higher. I can hit the rev limiter on the VTX very quickly.

I have had two V-65 Sabres and can attest to their get-up-an-go. But they aren't much on high speed bumps and tend to wallow on the long curves.

#26 ·
FTR,..I rode a r3 when they first came out. Nice bike but, not one I'd wanna own due to it being too bulky and fugly.
The R3 Roadster is one of the easiest bikes to pick up off the sidestand due to its low center of gravity. I thought it was easier than getting the 1800 off the sidestand. And the bike looks great to me...especially with the stock exhaust being changed out for a dual pipe setup that looks like the Dooleys.

1. V Max is considered a "Standard" and should not be in the "Cruiser" list
2. The Duc is a FRIGIN "Naked" Sport bike.

Give me a break on both. Id love to have the Max, but at 20k? Hell No! Ill take the M109R instead.
VMax over the M109R for me! I can find a nice used one for well under $20K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-V-Ma...ed310468d&item=201109554829&pt=US_motorcycles

​The thing that puzzles me is how the Ducati is considered a cruiser. Where do you hang the bags?

Also the Yamaha VMAX is one butt fugly bike, it might be fast if that is all you want, then go for it.

I want comfort, first and super fast is way down the list.

Perry
Again, the V-Max is appealing to me. You don't see the R3 or V-Max every day, so it's even more appealing.

I rode my friend's M109R and it is very fast. But what I noticed more when comparing it to the 1800 VTX is that it revs so much higher. I can hit the rev limiter on the VTX very quickly.

I have had two V-65 Sabres and can attest to their get-up-an-go. But they aren't much on high speed bumps and tend to wallow on the long curves.
Yes, the V-Rod and M109R get-up-n-go in the higher RPMs quite nicely...because of their engine designs. The V-Rod's engine doesn't even really wake up until it gets to the 4500-5500 RPM range, and then it's a completely different beast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.