*** WARNING*** Cell phone scam.. DO NOT ANSWER...
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: *** WARNING*** Cell phone scam.. DO NOT ANSWER...

Default *** WARNING*** Cell phone scam.. DO NOT ANSWER...

THIS NUMBER.... 561-860-8923...

Ok guys… here’s the deal… I usually don’t get involved with these warnings and such but I felt I should give everyone a heads up on this one being that it almost got me.. or maybe it has.. I won’t know till I get my next cell phone bill…
    While having breakfast this morning I received a call on my cell phone.. I didn’t recognize the number so I just let it ring figuring they would leave a message and I would get back to them after breakfast… about 5 min. goes by and again the phone rings… same number.. 561 area code.. again I let it ring figuring they would leave a message if it was important….

After breakfast I checked but no messages… out of curiosity I dilled the number back (561-860-8923).. to my surprise I got a recording notifying me that if this number had showed up on my caller ID someone had been trying to call me collect through an outfit called American Roaming Network… It caught me a little off guard being that I knew of no one who might try calling be collect…

I goggled American Roaming Network and it sounded like something legit, but after a little more research I found a great deal of information about this company.. and none of it was good… It seems that anyone can use this network if they have a phone that is not registered… if you answer the call and supposedly push the one (1) button on your phone as instructed you will then be billed at a rate of $1.99 per minute plus long distance charges…and of course they charge you a connection fee right from the beginning.. this fee is charged to your carrier and then passed on to you in your next billing cycle…BUT.. it gets worse from there..

While researching the deal I found several.. (hundreds) who claim to never have answered the call and are still being billed simple because their voicemail answered for them… it seems most of these calls are originating from the Del Ray Beach, Fl area.. but other locations as well… One ploy they seem to be using is a recording stating “ you have a very urgent phone call.. press one to accept”.. other times nothing but a static sound on the other end.. either way you get billed.. most of the time the bill is 40 to 70 dollars with each occurrence… but some have reported bills as high as a thousand dollars in total…

As if this isn’t enough it seems carriers are not eager to help in solving the issue either.. in fact many have refused to issue a credit or adjustment even though they know it’s fraud being committed on your account… you can read some of the complaints here at this link...http://phoneowner.info/Number.aspx/5618608923/2 there are plenty more if you want to goggle it… also note there are post in almost every forum I visited.. Probable from the same person.. claiming American Roaming Network is not a scam and how they use it all the time… when you find this type of post, take a look at the join date and number of post the person making the claim has.. this should be a clue.

In addition to the number I gave at the top of the post there are literally hundreds more of these numbers out there.. actually there is a list of the most common ones used in this scam but when I clicked on it I got a virus warning.. so much for the list… goggle it… but be careful what you click on.. simply goggling the phone number 561-860-8923 ​will provide you with more insight...hope this has maybe saved some of you guys some future problem…

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

I never answer a call from an area code/number I do not recognize.

If it does not come up as a known contact in my phone, I do not answer the call.

I'll google the number to see who it was, and if I know the company I will call them back.

Quote Originally Posted by KD3NE View Post
    Same here.
    But as long as we're into it here, if on-line requesting more info from any Company where you fill out request,
    don't use real phone number.
    Almost every time, some hack harvests the number off their web based mail, and you get Credit Card Crap.

I wait till company sends actual email to call back on with number.

Quote Originally Posted by KD3NE View Post

If it does not come up as a known contact in my phone, I do not answer the call.
    Yep same here.
    Dan

I got called by a similar number in the same area code. I didn't answer, but it called back two more times in 15 minutes. I run Avast under Android and added the phone number (and this one now as well) to the system's blacklist. According the log, the original number has tried to call me over a dozen times, but I was never bothered with it.

Avast isn't the only app which will blacklist numbers. Just search for "blacklist" on the App Market. I'd imagine that the same is true for iPhones, but I don't have one to know for sure.

2008 VTX1800N Spec 3 - "Freya"
    “The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation, and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be believed only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called faith.” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
    I got called by a similar number in the same area code. I didn't answer, but it called back two more times in 15 minutes. I run Avast under Android and added the phone number (and this one now as well) to the system's blacklist. According the log, the original number has tried to call me over a dozen times, but I was never bothered with it.

Avast isn't the only app which will blacklist numbers. Just search for "blacklist" on the App Market. I'd imagine that the same is true for iPhones, but I don't have one to know for sure.
    I have comcast and can add up to 10 numbers to my block list.
    The problem is when you get to 10 you can't add more unless you delete some.
    I can't do that because I didn't write down what I put on there and there doesn't seem to be a way to get a list.
    Start them early

Semper-FI

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure the rest here will benefit from this intel. I, on the other hand, don't have a cell phone. Probably won't until I retire. I do appreciate it though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.