Oil Question ????????
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil Question ????????

Default Oil Question ????????

I have been using honda synthetic oil since I bought my bike (03 1800 R) , and after checking out the thread with the tests on all the different oil brands. I think I am ready to make the change to either Amsoil, hard to find but it is around, or Mobil 1. I went to a few different auto part stores, and then to Wally World. And I could not find any 10w 40 full synthetic oil anywhere. Is there a reason that I can't seem to find it anywhere. Or am I just being NUMB ????? Need a little help.

Steve#3

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Hmmmm I've noticed M1 and also Valvoline Full synthetic MC oils at both the Amherst and Bedford Wally Worlds in 10W40 The Valvoline is a few bucks cheaper....7.97 a quart I believe

Goose
    2011 Harley Davidson Road King
    2007 Honda VTX 1300R (sold 7/19/11)

I've used the Mobile 1 oil in my bike (as well as my wife's and sister-in-law's bikes) ever since I got it. I pick it up at AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts. Mobile 1 makes two different fully synthetic motorcycle oils. The first is labeled "V-Twin" and is a 20W-50 for larger air-cooled bikes (e.g. Harley's) that tend to run a little hotter than our liquid-cooled VTXs. The second, and the one I use, is labeled "Racing 4T" which is a 10W-40.

I also use the Mobile 1 full synthetic gear oil for my final drive.

I've thought about switching to Amsoil because I've only heard great things about it but I've only found it for sale online. Never have seen it in a store around here.

Default Mobil 1

Steve, I`am sure that wally carries Mobil 1. You won`t find it with the other oils. It will be found where they have the car covers and atv stuff motorcycle helmets. I`ts a small display so look carefully. Just under 10 bucks a quart. I ran it last year, what a change, smooth shifting ex.

Just make sure it's for motorcycles. Car oil has friction reducers that will screw up the clutch plates and cause slipping.
    I got Amsoil from a little garage in Plaistow. He's a dealer. I bought a case. Ordered it on Monday and had it on Friday.
    I'm using the Victory semi-synth until the warranty is up, then going to Amsoil. I liked the way the VTX shifted.

2010 Victory Cross Country, too much too list.
    Goes by the name of "Winston".

That Genuine Honda oil is good oil. There are several used oil anlaysis(s) at bobistheoilguy.com that bear this out.

The Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W-40 synthetic and Amsoil MCF 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oils are also top notch.

I don't know what you are paying for that Honda oil but I'm going to bet that the Mobil 1 or Amsoil motorcycle oils would be a bit less $$$.

WalMart sometimes carries that Mobil 1 Racing 4T, as do some of the auto parts stores - or they can order it for you.

If you'd like to try Amsoil, you can contact board member ChicagoSpike. He's an Amsoil dealer and a pleasure to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
    I've thought about switching to Amsoil because I've only heard great things about it but I've only found it for sale online. Never have seen it in a store around here.
    I'm pretty sure "Jamin Motorsports" on East Hollis St in Nashua still has it on the shelf. I talked him into stocking it years ago. I've seen an "AMSOIL" sign in his window before.
    Jamin' Motorsports
    (603) 880-6100
    75 E Hollis St, Nashua,NH03060

Also there is a another place right up the street from them. On the corner of Main St & East Hollis St.. It use to be called Tilden, but they moved and another auto mechanic moved in. I think I've seen an amsoil sign in their window too.
    It's not the Speed which you travel, it's the Quality of the Journey

Click here for some wallpapers I made

Ride Safe.

A buddy of mine sells it in Boscawen here is his link. I have got it from him a couple times.
    http://www.lubedealer.com/al-ry/
    03 1800R Ultimate Big Boy 4 piece seat w/blinker buddy,PCIII,Switchblade w/s,Cobra Classic Deluxe Slash-cut exhaust,Cobra passenger floorboards,Paladin Engine Bars
    Kury Cruise Pegs,Saddleman leather saddlebags,Michelin Hydroedge 205/65/16

Default Spectro is good, too.

Hey boys and girls.

All of the products that you have mentioned are very fine. So is this one - Spectro Performance Oils, Brookfield, Connecticut. If you've ever been to MOMs (Manchester), Naults Honda Powersports (Manchester), FreedomCycle (Rt. 3, Concord), or National Powersports (Route 106, Pembroke), and examined their motorcycle specific lubricants, then you've seen Spectro products.
    Spectro sponsors some motorcycle racing teams, so their products would have to be okay I suppose, right?

I ran my VTX1800 on Honda GN4 10W-40 for the first year. When I changed the oil and filter late last year before putting her to bed for the winter, I changed to Spectro Platinum 10W-50 full synthetic motorcycle oil, which was recommended by a few technicians whose opinions I trust.
    I had changed to Spectro in my first VTX, a 1300C, after break-in with GN4 dyno oil. It seemed to shift better with synthetic oil, and I started getting another mile or two per gallon, as well.
    Recently, Spectro introduced a 10W-60 full synthetic, which would be an excellent oil to run, if you were headed down to Texas in July. It really stands up to extended running at interstate speed in high temperatures.

Alas...it is not cheap, however. The last time I checked, it was up around $16/quart.

PS - I've been using Spectro FC fuel conditioner/stabilizer, too, with good results. I dump in a couple of ounces of FC every time I fill her up.

http://www.spectro-oils.com/products...oducts=cruiser
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.