Bike running lean
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bike running lean

Default Bike running lean

I don't have Glenn's A/F screw, I have the other one that was sold that you can use an open end wrench to adjust it. Question is, my bike is running lean, you can smell it and runs like crap. Which direction do I turn the screw to make it richer? Clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

From what I gathered on here and the manual, turn it until it's seats. Then back it out 1 5/8 turns. Start your adjustments from that point. Out is rich and in is lean. Only adjust in 1/8 encriments. That's what I have gathered from the guys here.

if its like all the carbs I ever built(literaly thousands) you should go clockwise to make it richer as thats an air screw and the further out you go the leaner the mixture. I will say I havent messed with the carb on my bike since I got it.
    a diffrent world cannot be built by indiffrent people.

Woops then I had it backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by jbk View Post
    From what I gathered on here and the manual, turn it until it's seats. Then back it out 1 5/8 turns. Start your adjustments from that point. Out is rich and in is lean. Only adjust in 1/8 encriments. That's what I have gathered from the guys here.
    Is that by using righty tighty, lefty loosey . Maybe it's just me but i have a hard time with turn it until it seats. I assume that means to turn it clockwise and tighten it?

Quote Originally Posted by dilligafbiker View Post
    if its like all the carbs I ever built(literaly thousands) you should go clockwise to make it richer as thats an air screw and the further out you go the leaner the mixture. I will say I havent messed with the carb on my bike since I got it.
    Its a fuel screw, Not an air screw.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by silvervtx04s View Post
    Its a fuel screw, Not an air screw.
    oh I see well see there Im glad now I havent messed with that then lol so clockwise leaner counter clockwise richer, got it!
    a diffrent world cannot be built by indiffrent people.

There is more to rich / lean than just the A/F screw. ....but yeah - out = richer
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

What do you smell, raw fuel? If so, your rich and need to turn in (clockwise). If your plugs are more to the white side, then your lean and need to turn it out (counterclockwise) .

06 Tangelo Pearl 1300C ( Fastest Color)/ 2015 Harley Street Glide
    http://www.bdscycles.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy-E View Post
    What do you smell, raw fuel? If so, your rich and need to turn in (clockwise). If your plugs are more to the white side, then your lean and need to turn it out (counterclockwise) .

Going with easy here....you can smell a lean engine....man you gotta snorter from hell man, they call u snoz for short....shat. Lean at idle or WOT, difference. What do the plugs say.....
    We can walk our road together, If our goals are all the same. We can run alone and free, If we pursue a different aim.
    Let the truth of love be lighted. Let the love of truth shine clear. Sensibility, Armed with sense and liberty. With the heart and mind united in a single. Perfect. Sphere. Neal Peart

Quote Originally Posted by heffly View Post
    Going with easy here....you can smell a lean engine....man you gotta snorter from hell man, they call u snoz for short....shat. Lean at idle or WOT, difference. What do the plugs say.....
    Exactly, not enough info to diagnose a problem.

06 Tangelo Pearl 1300C ( Fastest Color)/ 2015 Harley Street Glide
    http://www.bdscycles.com/

On a stock bike set the a/f a 2.5 turns open from lightly seated..

Donut/Doug
    Donut Doug

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.