Honda VTX Forum banner

Are Biker Get back Whips illegal in Illinois?

24K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  tranz 
#1 ·
I am wanting to buy a get-back whip but I have heard on some forums that in Cali they were outlawed. It also said in Illinois isp were putting bikers in jail because they are considered a weapon. Is this true? Does anyone know where I can find the law? Not sure if they are outlawed anywhere anymore since I see people using them in Cali currently.

#6 ·
You folks got some crazy laws/issues up there. Just like a handgun it's a tool and can be used for good or bad depending on the person wielding it. Afterall Ted Bundy killed all those girls with clubs :dontknow:

#8 ·
Quick search found these with some history.

http://www.chilhowee.net/whips.html

Looks bada$$.
I think the original whips had metal on the ends so a biker could break a window or gouge a paintjob on a vehicle that cut him off. Contemporary ones like the Chilhowee ones don't have the metal on the whipping end so I can't see someone calling them a weapon. :dontknow:

#9 ·
For looks mainly. Back in the old days they used them to "rap" on a cagers window if they cut the biker off or got too close. I suspect some clubs used them as weapons. Hence the question as to if they are illegal.
So whip V.S. 6000 lbs of steel? Seems legit, what could go wrong.

#10 ·
I think the original whips had metal on the ends so a biker could break a window or gouge a paintjob on a vehicle that cut him off. Contemporary ones like the Chilhowee ones don't have the metal on the whipping end so I can't see someone calling them a weapon. :dontknow:
A plastic spoon can be a weapon in the right hands, but I agree with others. WHYYYYYYY?

#12 ·
I had "Whips" on my Valkyrie but they didn't have the metal clip on the attaching end like the ones you are looking at. They were wrapped to my brake and clutch levers and the other two were attached to the Kuryakyn Grips' end caps. I lived in SoCal and never had an issue with any LEO. I attached the pics so you could get an idea as to how they attached, length, etc.

Hoppy

View attachment 182954 Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Cruiser
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Auto part

#13 ·
Yes, they ARE illegal in Illinois and most states. They are considered to be a "Slungshot" or heavy weight attached to a line/rope used to do damage to people/things.

For IL statutes 24-1 (Unlawful Use of a Weapon) the blade length is not a factor nor mentioned in the statute. What the UUW statute addresses is "carries or possesses with the intent to use" regardless of blade length.
However, if a person for some reason finds themselves charged with armed violence then the penalty can be increased as an "aggravated offense" if the person is carrying a knife with a blade over 3", along with other named weapons.

(720 ILCS 5/33A‑1)
(1) "Armed with a dangerous weapon". A person is considered armed with a dangerous weapon for purposes of this Article, when he or she carries on or about his or her person or is otherwise armed with a Category I, Category II, or Category III weapon.
(2) A Category I weapon is a handgun, sawed‑off shotgun, sawed‑off rifle, any other firearm small enough to be concealed upon the person, semiautomatic firearm, or machine gun. A Category II weapon is any other rifle, shotgun, spring gun, other firearm, stun gun or taser as defined in paragraph (a) of Section 24‑1 of this Code,knife with a blade of at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk, switchblade knife, stiletto, axe, hatchet, or other deadly or dangerous weapon or instrument of like character. As used in this subsection (b) "semiautomatic firearm" means a repeating firearm that utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round and that requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.
(3) A Category III weapon is a bludgeon, black‑jack, slungshot, sand‑bag, sand‑club, metal knuckles, billy, or other dangerous weapon of like character.

#16 ·
Thanks for the info Spike. I actually like the look of the extra long whips going down just past the floor board. I have been planning on buying one, but been wanting to find out about the law. Now I'm not so sure. It might be a law they choose not to enforce like so many others; aka ape hangers, loud mufflers, ground effects etc..... Maybe I'll have to find a way around it.

#17 ·
Didn't know what one was until this post. Don't know why one would want one but each to their own. I am sure if they are illegal anywhere I am sure they would be illegal in Illinois.

#18 ·
Didn't know what one was until this post. Don't know why one would want one but each to their own. I am sure if they are illegal anywhere I am sure they would be illegal in Illinois.
It would be the same reason people buy chrome trim and install them on their fenders, or get some air brushing done, because they like the way they look.

#20 ·
The reason these are illegal in many states is that they are the equivalent of a 'blackjack'. The originals, and even many by other companies, actually have the ends weighted with rebar inside them. This makes them a rather formidable 'weapon', which also is what makes them 'illegal'. Some, like those from the website referenced, do not contain the rebar/weights, but may still be considered like a 'blackjack', and many, if not most, states, have outlawed them. I believe the reason the one poster wasn't hassled about his was that they were not 'removable'. Iron Braid does something similar with their grip covers and lever covers, too, but I doubt they are illegal because they can't be taken off and used as a weapon, at least not easily or quickly.

#24 ·
Re: Law quoted by Spike
I have to hand it to the writers of laws. The laws are constructed in such a way anyone can be charged with a crime for just being alive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.