Metzeler tires are on order once again
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metzeler tires are on order once again

Default Metzeler tires are on order once again

I purchased the bike at 10k miles and it had new metzelers on it.

I replaced that pair at 32k miles and they still had 1-2mm left.

I'm now teetering at 55k miles and have another set on order since bike week is coming up...
    (They'd probably last, but I'll be off the entire week and intend to ride many miles)

22k+ miles per set. Ya, I can live with that!

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    support your
    LOCAL 81

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

where did you get them atr and for how much if you dont mind me asking. I need some too. Thanks

JOSHAWALEE What tire pressure are you running in them. I'm getting a tread humming sound out of my front tire at 40 psi.

Doug
    Donut Doug

I got my Metzelers from DLP. They were 10% off and were priced as a set. So far, they are awesome. I run my pressures at 33/36 and like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium-X View Post
    I got my Metzelers from DLP. They were 10% off and were priced as a set. So far, they are awesome. I run my pressures at 33/36 and like it.
    That is way to low - you'll eat them up in a hurry.
    The manual recommends 33/36 on the stock dunnies and at that pressure you will eat them up around 7 to 9K miles.
    Ans on the stock dunnies we recommend 38/40 front and 49 psi in rear ans at that pressure you will get over 18k miles out of them.
    So even on the metzlers up the pressure to 40 front and 40 rear.
    These number are from me on the board from over 7 years. I got over 18k out of my first dunnies and expect more out of my metzlers and I already have 9k on them already and they still look good.
    At a low pressure the bike will squirm more on corners to.
    Those that has increased their tire pressure like I have recommended have reported the same results.
    Donut/Doug
    Last edited by Donut; 02-26-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    Donut Doug

Default What is best?

Been watchin' these tire threads for quite a while now and have a comment or two and a coupla questions.
    I have to question the higher pressure/longer life vs. recommended psi/shorter life issue. I'm not a rich man and would love to get as much out of my tires as I can, but not at the risk of having less bite when I need it. I'm sure there is an optimum setting and lots of guys here have given some good advice from trial and error experience. I guess time and the bike will let a guy know.
    I am looking for some feedback on stock dunnies in the rain. I was out in the wet a few times last summer and just wasn't comfortable with the feel...couldn't get confident but maybe just need some more wet miles. I'm pretty sure I'd like to try the Metzlers but my bike came with a spare set of wheels with the original Dunlops so I'm rubber rich for a while.
    Really would appreciate some rain tire advice...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JOSHWALEE View Post
    I purchased the bike at 10k miles and it had new metzelers on it.

I replaced that pair at 32k miles and they still had 1-2mm left.

I'm now teetering at 55k miles and have another set on order since bike week is coming up...
    (They'd probably last, but I'll be off the entire week and intend to ride many miles)

22k+ miles per set. Ya, I can live with that!

youll never get that many miles where i live

its a stretch to get to 9,000 here

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine
    Where is our government!

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Been watchin' these tire threads for quite a while now and have a comment or two and a coupla questions.
    I have to question the higher pressure/longer life vs. recommended psi/shorter life issue. I'm not a rich man and would love to get as much out of my tires as I can, but not at the risk of having less bite when I need it. I'm sure there is an optimum setting and lots of guys here have given some good advice from trial and error experience. I guess time and the bike will let a guy know.
    I am looking for some feedback on stock dunnies in the rain. I was out in the wet a few times last summer and just wasn't comfortable with the feel...couldn't get confident but maybe just need some more wet miles. I'm pretty sure I'd like to try the Metzlers but my bike came with a spare set of wheels with the original Dunlops so I'm rubber rich for a while.
    ive been running 45 in the back and 42 in the front helps with tread life and i dont have traction issues

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine
    Where is our government!

When I bought my bike the Metzlers on it had about 800 miles on them. I put on another 16k before replacing them. I was running 40/40 as per the suggestions from this forum.
    '04 1300c, Memphis Shades windshield,
    HardChrome 3" ResTechs, Kury ISO grips, custom paint by BD. Spyker mod w/K&N, Darkside Hydro 205-70-15
    MSB #15

Joshwalee--- are these the Metzler ME 880? I've seen other styles of Metzlers but I run the ME880's and have had no problem.

Mike
    It's not really about where we are going, but it's all about how we get there, 2 wheels and rubber side down!
    "BLUE 06 13 HUNDRED R" Memphis Fats, Bags Front and Rear, Cobra Fatties, Aeromach 4" risers, and BUB's!!

It's only a few pounds. Remember the dealer/bike and tire manufacture want you to have a cushy soft ride and also the sooner you where out the tires the more money they make. My bike actually feel's better wit the more firmer tire. You don't want to go into a corner with a mushy tire with the sidewalls giving in. Wet pavement is only common sense just cool it and don't drive on the edge of your limit. When I changed my tires at 18k I could have gone probably 3-4 k miles more on them but I was planning a long trip. I like close to tripling my tire life.
    These tire pressures are a proven fact from many here over the years so who do you want to believe -a stealer that works on bikes in general or us that only concentrate on VTX's.
    I am the one that started doing this tire pressure thing years age and everyone that has done it has been satisfied and it's your decision whether you do it or not.
    Donut/Doug
    Donut Doug

Default Point Taken

Thanks Doug and others. I respect your experience and feedback. Still don't like the feel of the dunnies in the rain though....and that in itself is enough to drive me to the cautious side.

Thanks Doug and others. I respect your experience and feedback. Still don't like the feel of the dunnies in the rain though....and that in itself is enough to drive me to the cautious side.
    Well it may be a while for you but when you wear both set's of dunnies the Metzler 880 are a really nice smooth running tire and I feel better on wet pavement with them. I will never go back to dunnies.
    Extra set of dunnies for sale ?? lol.
    Donut/Doug Vet
    Donut Doug

Got about 8000 on the front ME 880, about 2000 on the rear. The front looks good and I am thinking I will get at least 15000 out of it...
    We can walk our road together, If our goals are all the same. We can run alone and free, If we pursue a different aim.
    Let the truth of love be lighted. Let the love of truth shine clear. Sensibility, Armed with sense and liberty. With the heart and mind united in a single. Perfect. Sphere. Neal Peart

I've ridden a lot in the rain and I like the stock dunlops. You have nothing to fear they work as well as any wet or dry. I run 34 front 36 rear, 13,000 to 16,000 out of the front and 23,000 to 25,000 on the rear. I've tried the 880's and didnt like the feel of them. To each his own, I'll stay with the stock tire.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by snowmon View Post
    where did you get them atr and for how much if you dont mind me asking. I need some too. Thanks

Try: http://www.jakewilson.com/ and this is for a 180 rear. Got 14,000 out of the set I am replacing and they still are useable and would just pass state inspection.

These Items Have
    Shipped:

180/70B-15 (76H) Metzeler ME880 Marathon Rear Motorcycle Tire
    $164.99
    $164.99

140/80-17 (69H) Metzeler ME880 Marathon Front Motorcycle Tire
    $139.99
    $139.99

2005 VTX 1300R - sold
    Goldwing GL1500 SE

Quote Originally Posted by snowmon View Post
    DLP (Site sponsor) $279

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    JOSHAWALEE What tire pressure are you running in them. I'm getting a tread humming sound out of my front tire at 40 psi.

Doug
    40/40 always. No humming, but remember I'm on a C model...

40/40... I just ran a 15 second burn out yesterday at my buddy's and the rear has a solid contact patch that measured 3.75 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Riddle View Post
    youll never get that many miles where i live

its a stretch to get to 9,000 here
    I've told you a number of times to move out here, but do you listen??

Quote Originally Posted by G8MCCC View Post
    Joshwalee--- are these the Metzler ME 880? I've seen other styles of Metzlers but I run the ME880's and have had no problem.

Mike
    Yes.

support your
    LOCAL 81

Quote Originally Posted by JOSHWALEE View Post
    DLP (Site sponsor) $279
    40/40 always. No humming, but remember I'm on a C model...
    Yes.
    OK thanks I will try going up to 42 -44 and see if the humming goes away (this spring).
    The sound is coming from the angle slits on the front tire only.
    Doug
    Donut Doug

I am kinda hard on tires too. At 40 front and 42 rear my OE Dunslips had the rear into the cording before 5,000 miles and they were a nightmare on wet roads. Then I got Avon Venoms front and rear and road even harder and got about 8,000 miles with them at same pressure, but the rear still hit the cords. Then I tried Metzler 880 and same pressures, I thought they were OK and my son LOVED them (rear was the 200 pinched onto the OE rim) and they lasted longer by a bit. Now I am back to Avons as I get the best traction with them in the twisties, but the Metzelers are close.

When you hear tire noise from the front, but you have a windshield, it is very possible you are hearing the back tire refelcting off the shield; expecially so if you are talking about the "snow tire" type roar in sweepers.

prs
    "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

2004C

When you hear tire noise from the front, but you have a windshield, it is very possible you are hearing the back tire refelcting off the shield; expecially so if you are talking about the "snow tire" type roar in sweepers.

prs[/QUOTE]
    I Do think it is coming from the rear tire because it only is coming from the left side and it change tone when I tilt the bike a little. Its like the angled groves that are just off center of the tire.
    Doug
    Donut Doug

I like the Metz, I have both front and back. the back it a 200/880. The rear has done well but almost ready for a new one, going to go Avon 230. I do have to replace the front as well. Not because of wear but because it's staring to dry and crack (Dry Rot). All I can say is no matter what tire you get, check to date code. My rear is perfect but worn, dry rot on the front, both put on the same time. Just shows date codes should be looked. And to add to it, I put tire shine on both, From what I know from riding and as long as I have been riding. It as always been 2 back tire to 1 front. Smitt
    Lot's of time and money. I trust no one's wrench, but my own. Avon Monster Club, Black Out Club, Mat Black Fastest Color....Pay it forward .

Have run Dunnies WWW ever since the X was new back in 05. Have 60K on the scoot and have never gotten less than 15,000 out of a set. Don't know what y'all are doing to cut into your tire-life like that ... but it's NOT the tire.

No use complaining - You tell 10 people ... 8 don't care and the other 2 think you're getting exactly what you deserve!"

I'm grinning from ear to ear. I mounted the new metzes today and just got done putting the rubber to the road. I always forget how responsive a nice fresh set of tires is. I know you flatsider (d/s) fellas just won't understand that.
    I must have had high road force in my last front tire because I used to get a front end shimmy above 90mph. I gunned it on the freeway and it was smooth as glass, but then I looked down to see 110...

This should make bike week more enjoyable!

Sent from my MB501 using Tapatalk

support your
    LOCAL 81

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.