Inspection question.....
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inspection question.....

Default Inspection question.....

For cars...you get your inspection done before the end of the month that it expires in, and they give you a new sticker for that same month of the following year. Why is it that every time I get my bike inspected I get a sticker for some other random month (something like 9 months later) and they don't put the number of the month on the side of the following year? Anyone else know what I'm talkin' about here?

I got a ticket for an out of date inspection about five or six years ago. I had to go to court and show the judge the inspection paperwork to prove when I had it done because it didn't match up with the sticker. The judge was so confused he gave me the benefit of the doubt and dismissed the case. Ever since then I've always been nervous to ride at the beginning of every season before I get my yearly inspection as well as the end of the season because I don't know what the "official" expiration date is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RbrSyDwn View Post
    For cars...you get your inspection done before the end of the month that it expires in, and they give you a new sticker for that same month of the following year. Why is it that every time I get my bike inspected I get a sticker for some other random month (something like 9 months later) and they don't put the number of the month on the side of the following year? Anyone else know what I'm talkin' about here?

I got a ticket for an out of date inspection about five or six years ago. I had to go to court and show the judge the inspection paperwork to prove when I had it done because it didn't match up with the sticker. The judge was so confused he gave me the benefit of the doubt and dismissed the case. Ever since then I've always been nervous to ride at the beginning of every season before I get my yearly inspection as well as the end of the season because I don't know what the "official" expiration date is.
    The expiration of your inspection sticker no longer needs to match the expiration of your license plate.

At one time they both expired at the same time and at that time if your inspection was delayed (like if you forgot to get it done) the new sticker would still match the expiration on your license plate.

At present the new sticker is good for a 12 month period from the expiration of the sticker it replaces and does not have to match the expiration sticker on your license plate.

The change to the new system was about 6 or 7 years ago and did cause quite a bit of confusion at that time. The problem popped out a lot when a license plate was transfered to a new vehicle that had inspection stickers with different expiration dates.

Hope this was clear.

2005 VTX 1300R - sold
    Goldwing GL1500 SE

This has confused me ever since I move down here
    ]

2012 Kawasaki Concours GTR 1400
    2006 VTX 1300C - Gone
    Had Kids
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 1000
    2002 Suzuki Hyabusa (Twin Turbo mod) - Gone
    2001 Honda CBR F4i - Gone
    2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - Gone
    2000 Honda RC51 - gone
    2000 HD Fat Boy - Gone
    1997 Suzuki GSX 1100

Thanks, I think that makes sense. Every year I mean to look at the sticker after I get my inspection, but I'm just so happy to be riding again that I forget all about it, lol.

They don't even make inspection stickers dated with the winter months. I think it's from March through November. I can find out for a fact tomorrow, but I think only 7 months are done.
    Two great past times:
    Making Wine and Riding the bike; Just keep the two seperate.

I looked at my bike inspection sticker today. It's a yellow sticker with an "8" on the left side for 2011. So it supposedly expired in August of last year. However, I got the inspection done in March or April of last year. So shouldn't I have gotten a "3" or "4" on the right side for 2012?

I'm going to be taking it in for this year's inspection soon enough. I'm thinking about taking off the old sticker before hand and see what they put on.
    Last edited by RbrSyDwn; 02-28-2012 at 09:04 PM.

I have had mine inspected during different months of a year. And my local dealer will only put the month sticker of april (4) thur nov (11). Said, due to the area and weather seasons.

I want to say the month of your inspection sticker is in reference to the month of your registration. Or at least that's what I was told by the dealer.

I'm beginning to think no knows
    ]

2012 Kawasaki Concours GTR 1400
    2006 VTX 1300C - Gone
    Had Kids
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 1000
    2002 Suzuki Hyabusa (Twin Turbo mod) - Gone
    2001 Honda CBR F4i - Gone
    2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - Gone
    2000 Honda RC51 - gone
    2000 HD Fat Boy - Gone
    1997 Suzuki GSX 1100

mine is for 12 months, go to frank kiss cycles, they do it right there and you ride in on saturday morning and 15 mins later you are riding home with a sticker thats good for 12 months.
    She's back in action... get yur ear plugs

Quote Originally Posted by BrettsX View Post
    mine is for 12 months, go to frank kiss cycles, they do it right there and you ride in on saturday morning and 15 mins later you are riding home with a sticker thats good for 12 months.
    that's where i got it done last year, and it wasn't for 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by mmslogic View Post
    They don't even make inspection stickers dated with the winter months. I think it's from March through November. I can find out for a fact tomorrow, but I think only 7 months are done.
    What would a guy from Indy know about PA inspections? LOL Did you sell that jacket yet?

I am riding around on a 2009 sticker don't tell anyone. I just keep forgetting. I have it in my calendar for right now... tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ghost-Flame; 03-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    2004 vtx1800c.

Damn, Ghost!!! I thought I was bad. Bike was due inspection in September. Just hasn't been in the foreground for me. It'll eventually get done.
    2004 VTX 1300C

Club Orange.Everything else is black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Damn, Ghost!!! I thought I was bad. Bike was due inspection in September. Just hasn't been in the foreground for me. It'll eventually get done.
    That right here is the thinking that got me into not getting the inspection done for several years. Also my good friend who use to do the inspection retired a couple years ago and I just haven't gotten to find another shop. There's a gas staion right here in Doylestown that inspects them while you wait, so 2morrow She gets a new sticker. That's if my flu goes away.
    2004 vtx1800c.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.