trike?

4K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  dirtdobber 
#1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire
Toolroom Machine Workshop Engineering Vehicle

in progress.

See less See more
#4 ·
Milkmaster, How you been doing? Haven't seen many posts from you. I don't post like I use to but I do read a lot.
This has been a cool project. Easy and quick yo do.
It came with 2 pairs of progressive air shocks, 2 for each side. Wilwood 6 piston brake caliper. The precision of their workmanship is top notch.
I was after a low cost kit that doesn't require special things for replicable parts. Almost all the replaceable parts can be bought through a auto store.
Took 6 hours to do the kit. I am not working long at a time. Still recovering from a accident. The accident is what caused me to consider going to a trike. I faired well considering.
This is the left side of the kit.

#5 ·
Just getting back on two wheels here too. Been without a bike for 2-3 years. Came upon a deal I couldn't pass up. What is the name of your kit? Where can I investigate it myself?

#7 ·
trike

Well \Dirtdobber I hope you enjoy your trike as much as I do mine. After totaling out my VTX 1800 3 years ago the doctors said I would never ride again, they were right I couldn't ride a 2 wheeler but a trike solved all my problems. I just wish I had done it 10 years earlier.

#8 ·
I like seeing the pics bigger than the ones you sent me via text.
I curious how it goes.
I rode my Vic Vision to work Monday. The first time I've ridden it in over a month.
I'm thinking it needs to be triked too.

How does your reverse work.
I'm thinking I would have to use the OEM reverse installed.
I'm going up to Comer on Thursday and Saturday. I need to ride over and see it after the trips to Mentone.

#9 ·
You know your welcome any time. HD' uses a manual reverse. It goes in the side of the transmission. You put it in neutral, flit a lever, side it into revers with the provided knob. The engine is the power source.
This sits really low compared to the CSC I had. This was a fun, quick, easy project. I could do it in a day if I had help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjbbCYruG18&feature=youtu.be

#15 ·
Thank you. This was one of the coolest projects I have ever done. Very enjoyable. My wife and I have thought about doing some trikes on the side. If I do I will make some jigs to make it much simpler. Just thinking about it. I can do one now in a day and half by myself. I can have it ride able in less than a day. It is that easy.
But then again it may be just a thought.

#16 ·
Impressive. What made you choose Mystery Designs instead of one of the other kits? I've been looking at the Champion kit.

#21 ·
Big_Blue, I was looking after a certain look with a certain build requirements. Frankenstein kits was my second choice. The new Champion kits with IRS are very impressive. Champion makes great kits. It was third in line.
The decision maker was available parts if needed. Useable items. Everything is automotive so that helps a lot. For instance. The shocks are progressive, The brake is a wilwood. I did a lot of research on different kits.
I wanted a bare bones kit as I call it they call it fender package. Body work is just fenders. I can add a detachable body for $1,200.
The mystery had the look I was after.

#22 ·
Well \Dirtdobber I hope you enjoy your trike as much as I do mine. After totaling out my VTX 1800 3 years ago the doctors said I would never ride again, they were right I couldn't ride a 2 wheeler but a trike solved all my problems. I just wish I had done it 10 years earlier.[/QUOTE]

every triker makes that statement.

Attachments

#23 ·
There is nothing like the feeling of three wheels. To bad most bikers can't get the thought of three wheels being fun. They just think there for old farts. They don't know what they are missing.

Attachments

#24 ·
Two more questions:
  1. Did you get the independent suspension? Why or why not?
  2. Did you get the 33" or the 41" axle, and why?

You mentioned two things I liked which I hadn't considered before:
  1. Most of the replacement parts are from standard auto supply houses.
  2. I can add the body at a later date.

I noticed that you can add the tilting function at a future date. Have you considered that?

I also noticed that you can start with a fixed axle and upgrade to an independent at a later date.

Those two future upgrades means I can start out with a cheaper kit. I'm much more likely to do it for $4k than $8k.

#25 ·
I got the ISS or as we know it as a IRS.
I chose the independent suspension for several reasons. Better ride and improved handling. Yes I did consider the twister add on. The twister add on is not needed but if you like the leaning then go for it.
The iss units are one length, only the straight axle has 2 choices of length.

Yes you can convert to a ISS from a straight axle. I am not sure of the proceedure. Not knowing if you will use some of the iss mounting but I doubt it does. Most likely you will use the same wing arm.
I will also add, it is better to get a spare swing arm off ebay or somewhere. This way you can have it fixed to fit by them and not a bolt on.
Do they do a exchange? That would be cool.
Don't shy away from the straight axle to much. It will impress you more than you think.
The biggest difference between the 2 is the suspension and how it works. Straight axle incorporates the original shock positions. AS where the IRS has 2 shocks on each side. I warn you the ISS is really stiff. It being stiff is what makes it handle like it does. No tilt through the curves. Just plain squats and grabs and goes. And make
hope this helps. make sure your holding really good the G force is wicked.
dd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.