Honda VTX Forum banner

Another good year for HD

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  wngd 
#1 ·
Today being the last day of the Fire & Ice rally here, everybody's heading home or getting ready to leave. My guess there were probably 6 or 8 thousand bikes in town yesterday and 90% of them, easily 90%, were Harleys, most them new or late model. Even in older bikes Harleys out numbered everything else probably 10 to 1. The other 10% a mix of everything else. I saw maybe a half-dozen VTX's, a dozen or so Gold Wings, a few various other Honda's including one, just one, silver 1300 Interstate, several hundred V-Stars and Stratoliner's, Yamaha seemed to have most of that last 10%, a hand full of Vulcans and Suzukies and a few crotch rockets, one home-made looking V8 trike, lots and lots of Harley trikes, and quite a few Can Am backwards-trikes. Didn't see a single Indian. I saw the 1300 Interstate up close and thought it was a beautiful bike, would love to have one with an 1800 engine. I don't see HD going away any time soon, they must have 90% of the US bike market if the total market is anything like it looked here this weekend.

#2 ·
Of course they have the lion's share of the market but their grip is loosening.
Victory has really come on, Indian is selling a lot of bikes (statistically insignificant) and Kawasaki and Yami sell their share. Honda, aside from the Wing has totally lost their way in North America.

HD will own the majority for a lot of years yet since for the largest demographic of new riders (40-50 years old) HD is all they know....but it will be less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.