Honda VTX Forum banner

Which jet kit?

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  jasonlg83 
#1 ·
I've been wanting a vtx for years now. I finally bought an 04 1300c a few days ago. This sucker is still stock and was barely ridden for being 10 years old. Anyway I ordered a set of cobra speedsters and I intend to put a k&n air filter in the stock box. Any advice for a good jet setup would be appreciated. I found a jet kit on amazon made by carb jet kits and the stage 2 kit seems like it would be best for this setup but I don't want to buy it if it's junk. Please help.

#7 ·
The type of jet kit should not matter, whether it is Factory pro or Dynojet. Just make sure you tune it propperly.
Start with the main; find the main jet that pulls the best in 3rd gear to the rev limiter. Make sure you try several.
Then work on the needle; Find the position that gives you the best power and smoothest transition from needle to the main.
Then set the air/fuel mixture; If you have it set under 1 turn go to the next smaller pilot jet. If you go over 2 1/2 turns go to the next larger pilot jet.
Then set the idle.

#10 ·
Cool thanks. I see that factory pro comes in stages 1-3. After doing the decap mod which stage do u think would be more compatible in your opinion?
Doesnt matter both kit are the same except the literature. Just get the. One that is available

Sent from a stone tablet and chisel

#11 ·
I am a Barons Big Air kit fan. I had the kit on a VStar and now my VTX. It comes with the open air filter, a cover that you choose, and of course the jet kit. I love em and they have worked great. Some say the air box cover is hard to get off when you want to clean the filter but its not too bad.

#12 ·
jasonlg83
Thanks for the advice motorcyclereb​

No problem

You should be in the carb multiple times. It is not a fast process, but done right you will be very happy with the results.

#13 ·
Ok guys I've found the best main jet and the best needle adjustment. On the high end this thing screams. A quick twist of the throttle from idle and it would sputter. I adjusted the A/F screw and solved that issue. Now when taking off from a dead stop it sputters. Tried adjusting the A/F screw again but can't eliminate the sputter. I haven't put in the bigger pulot jet yet. Would this help?

#14 ·
Ok guys I've found the best main jet and the best needle adjustment. On the high end this thing screams. A quick twist of the throttle from idle and it would sputter. I adjusted the A/F screw and solved that issue. Now when taking off from a dead stop it sputters. Tried adjusting the A/F screw again but can't eliminate the sputter. I haven't put in the bigger pulot jet yet. Would this help?
What main and needle position

Sent from a stone tablet and chisel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.