Honda VTX Forum banner

"The true American form of meditation"

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  cbrooks1975 
#1 ·
  • I have been posting many "deep thoughts on facebook lately. All of which have been based on other peoples problems or issues that they have been going through. I guess I am the motivational speaker for my friends. This post however is just for me. And i thought i would share it with all of you. I is from the perspective of trying to explain why i love to ride. I am an elementary school teacher and dont have many people around me everyday that can even grasp the concept of my summer road trips or even that i own a motorcycle. This is my attempt at a response to them.

The ride-
    Most people don't understand the ride. I hear too often about the dangers of the ride. Are there dangers? Yes, there are. But, there are also dangers everywhere. The ride is not about thrill seeking. Its not about taking risks. It is simply about the ride. This is something that can not be understood unless you have experienced it. I could read all day long about the joys of making pottery, but if I never sit at the wheel, I will never truly know. The ride is very similar. Until you get on and go and experience, you can never truly know. To me the ride is about the moment. It is a time that can not be defined as past or future. It is only the present. It's a connection that can only be felt and experienced. I lose myself in these moments and I just am. I am alive, I am one, I am in touch. It is an opportunity to gain perspective, on life, yourself, the world, anything that you care to delve into. It is the true American form of meditation. I know I could go on without ever riding again, but I wouldn't want to.
    -Deep thoughts by Rob Petyko

See less See more
#12 ·
Several points here

I sat with family last week who proceeded to tell me the dangers of riding with out a helmet or chaps and of all those they know and know of who have died riding.

Last week there were 450,000 motorcycles in Sturgis most of whom rode home and did not die.

Secondly I feel those folks who whine about what I do with my life, have miserable lives to begin with and they are just jealous that I am a happy soul who knows how to have fun such as riding 963 miles in one day and over 2600 in a week and, yes, I did not die...

In 2008, my wife and I got on our bikes and took a trip.

After that trip I wrote this little note and decided to share it with Y'All...

Why I ride.

February 5, 2009 at 4:17pm
For years I wanted to fly an ultralight aircraft.

The idea to me of being up in the air away from humanity all alone with the birds and the clouds really appealed to me. I felt it was a calling the same as the way the sea calls to me this very day. (4 years on a sub hunting warship out in the ocean does get salt water into the veins.)

Patty always said that she hoped I didn't mind waking up with two broken legs because before I would ever fly one she would break both legs, not just one, both. Her reasoning was that she would rather have me alive with 2 broken legs than dead from an ultralight accident.

I never knew what her problem was as they were easy to fly, you don't need a pilot license to fly one so I assumed any idiot could do it and I felt I was just the idiot to take on the challenge!

Last year a friend who is a pilot offered to take my 2 kids and I for a ride. I jumped at the chance as both kids had watched the twin towers come down and really weren't sure that they would ever fly.
I thought a nice ride in a little airplane would convince them that it was safe and they could have fun flying, after all any idiot can fly, right???

Well, we met my friend at the airport and after the introductions he went through a second preflight inspection that was geared towards the kids to get them involved in the airplane.

After the inspection we climbed in, the youngest in front with the pilot, Chris and I in back and we were off towards the runway.

We sat and watched as several large and small jets took off and landed before our turn arrived and we were off at a blistering 100 knots.

As the propeller whined and the plane rolled faster and faster down the runway we found ourselves catching our breath as the wings got the needed lift and the plane literally "Jumped" into the sky.

Gaining altitude at low levels gives the sensation like that of a vacuum cleaner sucking you up not unlike a piece of lint or a candy wrapper.

WOW!

Our flight took us over our house and then north over farm lands to Lake Wisconsin.

As we were on our ride we noticed that the plane was bucking and jumping and our pilot was really struggling with it. The plane seemed to be determined to bounce and roll. When we flew over the big lake the thermals there put the plane into what seemed to be a sudden stop and we dropped what seemed to be a lot. the wind caught us and the lift was restored and we were jerked back into the sky. I assume we probably dropped 10 feet but is scared the CRAP out of us.

I looked at my youngest and he was very quiet to the point that he might want to just get out. I kept looking at the door for ways to hold it shut should he decide to attempt to just get out.

Then looking at Chris, he was looking pretty green at this point. He looked at me and said those magical words, "Dad, I don't feel very good."

Above the roar of the engine and the wind whipping by the plane, with headphones on, the pilot heard those 6 words and instantly handed back a barf bag.

I looked at our pilot and said, "I think they've had enough"!!

He turned the plane and with the tail wind we did 120 knots back to the Madison airport.

Landing couldn't come soon enough.

Ground, Glorious wonderful Ground.

(The last time I wanted to kiss the ground was when the ship I was on in the Navy docked in Jacksonville, Florida after 6 months in the arm pit of the mediterranean, Naples Italy and several other filthy cities in the area.

Jacksonville, a HUGE city and I saw how clean our country was. Anyone who is uncertain of the quality of life we have here, join the military or go on a mission trip somewhere. You will come back and kiss the ground of even New York City!!)

After we said our thank you's and our goodby's we walked to our car all feeling queasy not unlike sea sickness or the feeling you get from a fast spinning ride at the county fair.

We all went home and had 2 tablespoons of pepto bismol and went and laid down.

I used to look at the "Ultralight Aircraft" section on Ebay, dreaming of one day flying up with the birds and the clouds, after all you don't need a pilot license so any idiot can fly one.

So what does this mean to me and why?

Well this past year Patty and I went on a 2427 mile ride that took us through the hills of southwest Wisconsin, the cornfields of Iowa, the continuing climb of Nebraska (1200 feet to 6000+ feet) the highlands of the rockies, the coal fields of Wyoming, Sturgis and back.

The feeling of freedom was ever apparent.

I realized that I didn't need wings to feel the freedom of life.

Riding with one arm outstretched going up and down like a wing gives me the inspiration that tells me I am alive.

Seeing the beauty of our country without window glass is truely awe inspiring.

Sure their are inherent dangers in riding and with the proper training I can fly an ultralight too but I have no desire to fly except on the seat of my bike.

The only words I can come up with that explains the feeling I get on the bike is:

Freedom!

Freedom!

#13 ·
Riding

I'm also in love with that feeling that I get from riding.... If asked to describe it, I'd have to call it a sort of "hyper awareness," brought on by the fact that I'm forcing myself to pay attention to every little thing that's going on at that moment. I become keenly aware of my senses (what I'm doing and seeing, what I'm smelling and hearing) and a strong sense of intentionality comes to the forefront of my mind. For Me, there's no better place that i could be than that present moment.

#14 ·
Hmmm

Wow,it's funny as I read your descriptions it makes so much sense. It's so true that a lot of people are so busy describing the dangers and pitfalls that they cloud themselves with what the reality is behind the ride. They can't see the trees through the forest. You are all so correct and sound so well versed.
Definitely all senses are functioning at a heightened state of awareness. I prefer my ride outside of the city limits much more where the heightened state is enhances the positive aspects more for me. There are times of pure amazement and surreal moments that are there just because.
its not an escape, it's a fulfilling experience I'd rather not do without. A satisfied feeling unobtainable by booze or drugs. The ride in itself is indescribable to non riders as it has to be experienced to make total sense. Passengers I have had always love the ride and experience, they feel "it" too. As a young child I never thought about describing it,I just tremendously enjoyed it for what it was worth. Funny though ever since becoming the driver I must admit, I don't believe I'd enjoy being the passenger as much. That being said if I were no longer able to drive I'd be a happy passenger. Hmmm....if that makes any sense? I was lucky enough to ride a borrowed bike when I was 14 and it was a gas. Funny how the enjoyment never gets "old" or " tired" so to speak. It's the smell of trees,flowers,fire places,backyard fires,damp night air and morning dew,the rising and lowering of the sun,the drops and rises in temperature etc. it seems like I see more from the vantage point the bike provides. At this point I wish I was better versed.
It's such a great feeling to hop on and ride without a plan without a defined purpose and without a set destination.
"Where you going?"
"Don,'t know."
"How do you know when you've arrived at where your going then?"
"I'll know when I get there."
"How long you gonna be?"
"Don't know"
Obviously not a practical thing if your married or have a commitment but hope you get the jist.
in a nutshell, it's euphoric bliss!!!
Sorry just my take.

#15 ·
klapool, very good letter you hit it right on. I have had that feeling since I climbed on the very first bike back in the early 60s. When I left the dirt and went to the street around 68(first street legal bike) I was 14 at the time, I rode illegal for two years before I got my license. After all these years I still have that same feeling every time I climb on my bike and hope to never loose it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.