Why do you blurr/blank/obscure your license plate when posting pics?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you blurr/blank/obscure your license plate when posting pics?

Default Why do you blurr/blank/obscure your license plate when posting pics?

I mean seriously, it's out there in the open 24/7 on the bike. I just don't get it
    2004 1300C...chopped Sampson pipes with 1 3/4" baffles, FP jetting, K&N stock filter, decapped & major chop job on the airbox, block-off plates, 6" risers & 30 degree drag bars, SS braided front brake line, Progressive fork springs, RT gold valve emulators, Pony's shock mod (springs cut 1.5"), LED turn signals, side-mounted license plate, VTX-treme 8 degree trees with 4" fork extensions

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

co-sponsor

Default ....

Tins in stock and ready to paint for most late model cruisers!

Custom Motorcycle Painting

I've said the same thing!

04' 1300CN Custom Bagger

Because those whom do it; believe in the boogieman, and that the boogieman is going to get them!

2007 VTX1300R (gone, miss it but not cleaning the the chrome...)
    2008 VStrom DL-650 (gone, miss it....)
    2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic with Carpenter Racing 240hp package
    2011 Victory Vision Tourer
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

What's up Goldsboro? Over in Smithfield. Just wanted to say hi to a local member.

Well over here it is so those pesky speed cameras dont get ya...
    They cant send ya a ticket if they dont see your tags...
    If They dont get your tags they dont get your addy,...
    all works well...

Gazza...

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZA View Post
    Well over here it is so those pesky speed cameras dont get ya...
    They cant send ya a ticket if they dont see your tags...
    If They dont get your tags they dont get your addy,...
    all works well...

Gazza...
    The Irish have speed cameras on the Internet? Holy cow!
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn60 View Post
    I mean seriously, it's out there in the open 24/7 on the bike. I just don't get it
    You shouldn't have told em, it was more fun that way

99 XLH883
    2012 FLHR Road King
    Sgt USMC 67-71 PGR

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    The Irish have speed cameras on the Internet? Holy cow!
    Among other things!!!One time I rode up on one of these cameras, I waved and smiled @100mph..no tags on front of bikesDidn't know they take a picture leaving the scene also....So since that day they can only see a partial tag..Once bitten and all that jazz... Gazza...

Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks View Post
    You shouldn't have told em, it was more fun that way
    oops...sorry. The thing is, I've never been described as the sharpest knife in the drawer, figured I had to missing something.
    2004 1300C...chopped Sampson pipes with 1 3/4" baffles, FP jetting, K&N stock filter, decapped & major chop job on the airbox, block-off plates, 6" risers & 30 degree drag bars, SS braided front brake line, Progressive fork springs, RT gold valve emulators, Pony's shock mod (springs cut 1.5"), LED turn signals, side-mounted license plate, VTX-treme 8 degree trees with 4" fork extensions

This has been talked about many times here..
    In this day and age,the less personal info you have visible,the better...especially on the Internet.
    Big difference between neighbors and townsfolk seeing your plate on the street,and posting it
    for millions across the world to see..Scammers and identity theives look on the Internet,
    not at license plates on the street...Its very convenient for them..
    Any personal info is just an open door to get the rest of your private information..
    Just from your plate,they can get your Drivers License number,and address,
    Once they get that,your Social Security is just a few steps away...then your cooked...

If your comfortable posting your plates,address,phone number,etc.., be my guest..
    Its just not a good idea IMO...why make it any easier for crooks than it is already..?

Ask any victim of identity theft if they would post ANY personal info on the web...

2002 1800 RETRO SPOKE ILLUSION BLUE, SOLD May 2014
    Bought 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic June 2014

Default Yes Sir

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    In this day and age,the less personal info you have visible,the better...especially on the Internet.
    Big difference between neighbors and townsfolk seeing your plate on the street,and posting it
    for millions across the world to see..Scammers and identity theives look on the Internet,
    Any personal info is just an open door to get the rest of your private information..
    Once they get that,your Social Security is just a few steps away...then your cooked...

If your comfortable posting your plates,address,phone number,etc.., be my guest..
    Its just not a good idea IMO...why make it any easier for crooks than it is already..?

Ask any victim of identity theft if they would post ANY personal info on the web...
    Now finally some common sense... So rare in this day and age...

Quote Originally Posted by mike n View Post
    Now finally some common sense... So rare in this day and age...
    Agreed!
    Live love and ride...Life is too short!

Black 2007 1800C, (the fastest VTXs made) CP drag bars, XR Ultra Fairing, PC III, HK 2 into 1's, Kury Hypercharger, lights, Young Guns seat and chrome here and there.

I agree the less anyone can find out about me personally,the better.
    That's also why my birthday on Facebook is Jan 1, 2000, even though it's not published to the public.

To digress for a second, Medrep, what is the Rune looking VT bike on your sig? Was it a Honda prototype that never came to be?
    Cool looking V-twin.
    P
    '07 1300R, Titanium, Bub's, QQ hard bags & other misc stuff, BadX seat.

Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!

Default I live right here, come take my bike

I agree that it makes sense to err on the cautious side, although I'm not convinced that posting my plates in a few photos is putting my identity at risk when there are so many more easy targets out there on bikes that screem "Hey I'm a mega rich baztard, swipe my identity!"

I'll tape over my plates in future photos because I agree in making things hard for criminals, but I'm not loosing any sleep over photos already posted that might show my plate.

I believe the practice (blanking out plates) started with guys who were showing off bikes that had a ton of money invested in them and were great targets for theft. These bikes are the ones that owners didn't want to worry about someone finding their address by tracking the plate so they can come swipe the bike. In these cases it makes a lot of sense not to focus attention of a great target with a clear shot of the plate.

Now that ID theft is the bigger issue I think it has taken over as the reason to blank out plates, even though I really would like to see some stats on just how vulnerable one might be simply by showing a license plate number.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

I understand what you are saying but I'm just saying that obscuring it here in a chat forum is meaningless if it's not obscured anywhere else. My social security number isn't displayed on the license plate. The hacker in California can do whatever he wishes with my plate number just as easily as my next door neighbor, the guy at work, WalMart or anywhere else I drive to. Guess I'm really just saying it doesn't prevent much to block it here.

2003 HD Road King (for sale one of these days)
    2007 VTX 1300 R
    2006 VTX 1800 R Trike

SERIOUS TIN FOIL HAT TIME. Come git 'em while they're still shiny

tinfoilHat.jpg
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn60 View Post
    I understand what you are saying but I'm just saying that obscuring it here in a chat forum is meaningless if it's not obscured anywhere else. My social security number isn't displayed on the license plate. The hacker in California can do whatever he wishes with my plate number just as easily as my next door neighbor, the guy at work, WalMart or anywhere else I drive to. Guess I'm really just saying it doesn't prevent much to block it here.

Anyone can come in here,and look around...and we all know, what appears once place on the internet,
    can travel to other places in no time flat..I am not a fan of posting pics of gun collections here either.
    But ,to each his own as to what you put out in the public eye...Its your info..

I dont agree its paranoia,or a "tin foil hat" issue..

Its simply playing it safe with personal info,that could conceivably cause you some problems in the wrong hands....

You would have to be crazy to put your plate on the internet for all to see.
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Its simply playing it safe with personal info,that could conceivably cause you some problems in the wrong hands....
    Dude !!! It's a frikken state issued license plate; viewed by the public. It doesn't matter if it's viewed on the Internet or on the street. It's going to be viewed anonymously wherever it's displayed.

Unless that anonymous viewer has access to a database tying in your personal info with the plate; NOTHING can become of it.

Sheesh. Bunch of girls here..... Go git yer tin foil hat, ye old fart....
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

Dude !!! It's a frikken state issued license plate; viewed by the public. It doesn't matter if it's viewed on the Internet or on the street.
    Unless that anonymous viewer has access to a database tying in your personal info with the plate; NOTHING can become of it.

Dude,you're kind of being a dick about it..If you dont get,you dont get it...

If you think the street and the Internet are equal access...you aint too smart...

Anyone can access your info,from a variety of sources..Every home you have owned,where you have
    worked,criminal and civil history,financial / marital status,and on and on..

Dont think so..? Give me your plate number,and we will see what I can gather...
    Hell, just give me your full name,if you think your not at risk...

I used to chase bad check writers, you dont need any special clearance or credentials to access info..
    You just need to know where to look....and wouldnt you suppose Identity thieves already have access points set up..?

You really need to get caught up on new technology my friend...Pony Express aint running no more....

There was a guy on another forum I went back and forth with just like you..
    Just from his name,I pulled up his wife's name,pictures of their wedding,where she went to college,their address,
    phone number and an aeriel picture of their house and property,with his car in the driveway...

He pulled all his info,and left the site....

Now move along....nothin to see here.....

Dude,you're kind of being a dick about it..If you dont get,you dont get it...

If you think the street and the Internet are equal access...you aint too smart...

Anyone can access your info,from a variety of sources..Every home you have owned,where you have
    worked,criminal and civil history,financial / marital status,and on and on..

Dont think so..? Give me your plate number,and we will see what I can gather...
    Hell, just give me your full name,if you think your not at risk...

I used to chase bad check writers, you dont need any special clearance or credentials to access info..
    You just need to know where to look....and wouldnt you suppose Identity thieves already have access points set up..?

You really need to get caught up on new technology my friend...Pony Express aint running no more....

There was a guy on another forum I went back and forth with just like you..
    Just from his name,I pulled up his wife's name,pictures of their wedding,where she went to college,their address,
    phone number and an aeriel picture of their house and property,with his car in the driveway...

He pulled all his info,and left the site....

Now move along....nothin to see here.....
    You need to work for it, you old goat.

I've posted pic's here previously of my bikes with their plates. So go look them up. And see what you can find.

I'm all over the Internet. And there is personal information out there. There is public record of anyone on the Internet; how about I spend some time tonight and post all of your personal information.
    Last edited by willtill; 03-06-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

Dude !!! It's a frikken state issued license plate; viewed by the public. It doesn't matter if it's viewed on the Internet or on the street. It's going to be viewed anonymously wherever it's displayed.

On the street:
    Those who view the plate see it fleetingly and don't pay it any mind unless you are a jerk.Why do you think TV networks often times blur our license plates on vehicles that are on their shows. They do so to protect the privacy of the owner.

Now on to Internet Forums:
    Do you consider the members here as 'anonymous' viewer? Well they can be so long as you do not expose any personal information on the forum. Once you publish your license plate you have removed any anonymity you might have had because with your plate number they can get a lot of personal information about you depending on the state you live in. Some states have more info than others on their database, however consider this. Every registration tag has two important information tied to it, the Owner Address, and the Owner Soundex Number. From that Soundex Number more information about you can be had then you'd ever want anyone to have. Those MVA Databases are a hell of a lot easier to access than you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by EyesWideOpen View Post
    On the street:
    Those who view the plate see it fleetingly and don't pay it any mind unless you are a jerk.Why do you think TV networks often times blur our license plates on vehicles that are on their shows. They do so to protect the privacy of the owner.

Now on to Internet Forums:
    Do you consider the members here as 'anonymous' viewer? Well they can be so long as you do not expose any personal information on the forum. Once you publish your license plate you have removed any anonymity you might have had because with your plate number they can get a lot of personal information about you depending on the state you live in. Some states have more info than others on their database, however consider this. Every registration tag has two important information tied to it, the Owner Address, and the Owner Soundex Number. From that Soundex Number more information about you can be had then you'd ever want anyone to have. Those MVA Databases are a hell of a lot easier to access than you can imagine.

It's normally not an issue, but characters like Aadvark are all too willing to engage in violating personal information. And of course, he hides behind anonymity because he doesn't have any balls nor a backbone to lend credence to a true existence of himself.

These people my friends, are the ones you need to watch. People like Aardvark. He already claimed to violate someone's personal info in one of his posts above, I'm surprised that LAmonster didn't kick his ass off the forum.
    2012 Suzuki DR650SE

Time out ! For a minuet there I thought I was in 3rd grade again. Gentlemen lets relax. This is not a subject anyone on the web hasn't seen before. Really who cares if you can look up info on someone or not. Do you 2 men think this is going to make you look cool or what? The question was answered, enough said. If you do or don't want to post your plate than fine do it your way, If you want to argue then exchange phone numbers and do it that way. Now lets shake hands and come out fighting.

It's normally not an issue, but characters like Aadvark are all too willing to engage in violating personal information. And of course, he hides behind anonymity because he doesn't have any balls nor a backbone to lend credence to a true existence of himself.

These people my friends, are the ones you need to watch. People like Aardvark. He already claimed to violate someone's personal info in one of his posts above, I'm surprised that LAmonster didn't kick his ass off the forum.

Geez,... your such a whiner for a retired Army fella...
    I pulled up someones info at his request,since he thought I couldnt do it..
    and it wasnt here,so Lamonster,or anyone else could care less....

You know you are wrong in this issue,so now you get personal and go on the attack...typical...

I didnt need to join the service to get balls or backbone...I already had it,and still do...
    and thats not to minimize,or badrap your service, I commend,and thank you for it..

But if you choose to make this a pissin match between you,and I,thats your doing..
    I dont have an issue with you,and you started the agressive lingo...

I have met members ,and had dealings with quite a few here,and they know what kind of guy I am...
    You can have me as friend,or foe..thats up to you..

Like I said,its not personal...

and no,I am not tracking down your info just to prove a point....
    Last edited by aardvark; 03-06-2012 at 03:22 PM.

*snip*

I am not a fan of posting pics of gun collections here either.

*snip*
    I agree with this. People don't need to know what I have. And I was always taught discretion regarding what you have and how you'd use it.

As far as license plates. *shrug* if the plate is there somewhere, oh well. I dont' go out of my way to post it, I don't go out of my way to hide it.

If someone wants your plate, or your vehicle, or your name, all they need to do is run it thru one of the many services that does that. I don't think me posting a photo of my plate makes it any easier or harder for someone to take my stuff or get my info.

Personal choice, yes. To each their own.
    "Just when you think you've got something idiot-proofed, they build a better idiot." -Anonymous
    "Arguing with someone on the internet is like pissing into the wind. Never successful."
    "Beer is like Porn. You can buy it, but it's more fun to make your own."

Bub Club member #361

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1300cnME View Post
    I agree with this. People don't need to know what I have. And I was always taught discretion regarding what you have and how you'd use it.

As far as license plates. *shrug* if the plate is there somewhere, oh well. I dont' go out of my way to post it, I don't go out of my way to hide it.

If someone wants your plate, or your vehicle, or your name, all they need to do is run it thru one of the many services that does that. I don't think me posting a photo of my plate makes it any easier or harder for someone to take my stuff or get my info.

Personal choice, yes. To each their own.

Agreed..My only thing is, posting info is what get's you "singled out."

but,just my humble opinion.....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.