Honda VTX Forum banner

New here, New to VTX!

3K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  POKX 
#1 ·
Howdy from Kansas! Been a Yamaha V-Star rider for a long time. Had a 650 and an 1100 (with engine mods and bored to 1225) and really enjoyed them, but I have always had an eye on the VTX bikes. Went to a dealer site last week and saw a stunning VTX1800R that totally caught my attention. Outfitted with HardKrome pipes, Hypercharger, PCIII, Mustang seat and Memphis quick detach windshield, I had to take a closer look. Rode my Vstar 1100 down and rode back on a pristine VTX 1800R. Needless to say, I love the new ride. Doesn't rev quite as quick as my 1100 did, but the torque is unbelievable. Highway riding is so much more relaxed! Definitely think I'm going to enjoy the ride! A pic of my old Vstar (custom paint of Ford Laser Red over silver base, with a touch of pearl and fine flake) and the new Titanium 1800R.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Cruiser

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the board, from chilly Wisconsin!

Congrats on the new ride. I love my 1800R. Yours is already set up very nicely with the pipes, seat, air filter, etc. You have made a great choice. If it's like anything like mine, you will probably get anywhere from 35-40 mpg. Also, you only have 5 gears. I've had mine several years now and am fully aware that I only have 5 gears, but I'm constantly reaching for 6th :)

#3 ·
Welcome to VTXOA. I have owned a 1800 Retro for years now and it has been a joy to ride. Honda does not make the 1800cc engine anymore so hang on to it.
Looking at your pics I would make one suggestion. Get highway/crash bars on it to protect it. We all hope that laying a bike over while riding never happens, but if it does you will be glade you have them. I am looking at a bike to buy on craiglist and it has been laid over at 15 miles per hour. Results are a dented tank and nasty looking scratches on the front finder.

Take a look at the pics the bike.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/4609863281.html

#6 ·
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

#7 ·
Thanks!

Highway bars are on the short list, as are saddlebags. Love the clean look without bags, but boy I love practicality lol. And I've had highway bars on every bike I've had, so I'm a believer in those as well. Leaning towards the Lindby setup, as I liked that on my VStar. As far as 5 gears, I actually am so accustomed to running 4k or so on my Vstar at 75 that I found myself in 4th on the VTX and surprised when I discovered I had another gear! It pulls significantly less RPMs at speed than the short geared V-Stars. That said, my 1100 would probably keep up fairly well up to about 50-60mph...after that the VTX would walk all over it. Definitely think I made the right choice though. Really the only things I plan on adding are the highway bars, bags, and maybe a few chrome touches. Hard to mess with an already good setup!

#9 ·
Welcome. There is plenty of good folk here who are glad to help.
A lot of upgrades on that scoot. Those seats are the best thing done to these bikes. Your bottom thanks you.
That Yami looks good too, must of been hard to trade it in!

#14 ·
I had the same Mustang seat on my first V-Star and loved it. My 1100 I went with the Mustang Daytripper - worst idea ever. Looked great but man trips would put the hurtin on ya. Especially for the ol lady. Needless to say, she was all for it when I told her the 1800 would be a better fit for her (she's a few inches taller than me, and I'm 5'9). It was a little hard to trade the 1100; I could ride that thing and leave a lot of guys behind. It was snappy and quick revving for a cruiser; a lot of fun. But like I said, I always had an eye for the VTX1800s....I used to be big into drag racing (Had a Mustang 5.0 I regret selling!) so the whole big beast aspect of the VTX was always appealing. I like the idea of cruising and having the power to do whatever you want, anytime, anywhere!

#16 ·
Highway bars are on the short list, as are saddlebags. Love the clean look without bags, but boy I love practicality lol. And I've had highway bars on every bike I've had, so I'm a believer in those as well. Leaning towards the Lindby setup, as I liked that on my VStar. As far as 5 gears, I actually am so accustomed to running 4k or so on my Vstar at 75 that I found myself in 4th on the VTX and surprised when I discovered I had another gear! It pulls significantly less RPMs at speed than the short geared V-Stars. That said, my 1100 would probably keep up fairly well up to about 50-60mph...after that the VTX would walk all over it. Definitely think I made the right choice though. Really the only things I plan on adding are the highway bars, bags, and maybe a few chrome touches. Hard to mess with an already good setup!
It's an addiction and a passion. Once you start, you can't stop or help yourself.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.