Beware of leatherup.com
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beware of leatherup.com

Default Beware of leatherup.com

I recently ordered a luggage rack from LeatherUp.com. Their heading of the ad for the item states that it is for VTX1300/1800 bikes. When I received the item, I removed the rack & a bag of hardware. Then I saw that it only fits VTX1300R or S models...mine is a "C" model. I called Leather Up & explained exactly what I had done & was told to package it up as well as I could & return it for credit, since they don't make one for my bike. Today I received the rack back with a note saying it had been rejected for refund, since it had been opened. I called Leather Up & was told that once the return was rejected, there was nothing they could do about it. I was willing to except responsibility for ordering the wrong part, because further into the ad, it tells which models it fits...my fault. But, they told me to ship it back for credit. Now, I'm not only stuck with a part I can't use, I had to pay shipping charges to return it. Needless to say, I'll be making future purchases with one of their competitors.
    VTX1300C, BLACK, CORBIN SOLO, METZELER 200 REAR, RETRO STYLE BARS WITH 4" SHOW CHROME RISERS, COBRA SPEEDSTERS EXHAUST, KURYAKYN ENGINE CASE COVERS, HARRISON SPECIALTIES REAR LED TURN SIGNALS, BARNETT STAINLESS CABLES, MEMPHIS SHADES SLIM WINDSHIELD

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Bummer on that deal if its new and can be sold as new they should take it back. IMO
    Worst case charge you a small restock fee.

Bad Customer Service...
    03 1800C 5400, Blurple,Vance/Hines Big Shots,Cobra FI2000,Saddlemen slant bags,front fork bag,back rest,tank bag,Mustang seats.

I'm surprised. Leatherup has always had outstanding customer service from my own personal experience as well as some others I know.

Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post
    Bummer on that deal if its new and can be sold as new they should take it back. IMO
    Worst case charge you a small restock fee.

Bad Customer Service...
    Kinda hard to say on this one since it stated which bikes it fits in the ad. There are many online companies that don't accept returns on open packages. I think thats because they don't want to mail out a "open box" item to a customer.... Best bet is to sell it on the board or ebay if its new

I got a 1300R lets see some pics, no promises but I am in the market for one I just got my X last month. Just put a new metzler me-880 on it so this months allowance is shot but she sure rides good. Never know I got a friend who might be interested also.

Surprised, in the last 5 yrs I have been dealing with them, I have never had a problem.
    04 1800N, Darkside... lots of extras.

Quote Originally Posted by lwilson View Post
    was told that once the return was rejected, there was nothing they could do about it.
    That statement really pisses me off when I hear it from a company that wants my business. There is ALWAYS something they can do...if they want continued business that is. That is just a phone rep tactic to shut down the conversation. I would have more respect for them if they just came out and told me to ***** off.

Unfortunately you are probably screwed in this case, but you can e-mail them and tell them that they now have two bikers that will never do business with them.
    2003 Red 1800R

You don't pay a hooker for sex, you pay her to go away afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by jtiesinga View Post
    I'm surprised. Leatherup has always had outstanding customer service from my own personal experience as well as some others I know.
    Thanks for the post. I've also bought from them in the past with no issues. As I said, I was ready to accept responsibility for the mistake, but was told to return it for credit.
    VTX1300C, BLACK, CORBIN SOLO, METZELER 200 REAR, RETRO STYLE BARS WITH 4" SHOW CHROME RISERS, COBRA SPEEDSTERS EXHAUST, KURYAKYN ENGINE CASE COVERS, HARRISON SPECIALTIES REAR LED TURN SIGNALS, BARNETT STAINLESS CABLES, MEMPHIS SHADES SLIM WINDSHIELD

Quote Originally Posted by WWJRide View Post
    That statement really pisses me off when I hear it from a company that wants my business. There is ALWAYS something they can do...if they want continued business that is. That is just a phone rep tactic to shut down the conversation. I would have more respect for them if they just came out and told me to ***** off.

Unfortunately you are probably screwed in this case, but you can e-mail them and tell them that they now have two bikers that will never do business with them.

AGREE 100%

Should have just taken it back with a restock fee as mentioned above. Oh well, their loss. Somebody on here will buy it just give it a little time.
    Last edited by Eric; 03-28-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    USN 1996-2000 STS3/SS

I have purchased from them in the past with great results. That is very surprising to hear.

I just got 2 new helmets for like 50 bucks each. They are pretty good!

2003 Retro 1800 Blurple Throbber
    Ironbutt Rider, DRAGON-tamer

Wow...that company has always had a good reputation.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom_1 View Post
    Surprised, in the last 5 yrs I have been dealing with them, I have never had a problem.
    Exactly. I've exchanged and returned items that were the wrong size or mis-shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzy7 View Post
    Kinda hard to say on this one since it stated which bikes it fits in the ad. There are many online companies that don't accept returns on open packages. I think thats because they don't want to mail out a "open box" item to a customer.... Best bet is to sell it on the board or ebay if its new
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. This is a perfect example of that. Whenever you buy something it's on the buyer to make sure the part they are buying fits the thing they want to use it for. If it's clearly listed somewhere on the sales page what it fits, I can understand them not taking back an open box item that was misordered.

Sucks you misordered, but it's completely unfair to put your mistake on a business.
    Last edited by VTX1300cnME; 03-28-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Bub Club member #361

Default I kind of have to agree...

I've made purchases through them as well and in most case, it's been good.

My very first was 2 Shark modular dual shield helmets.

Mine was bit too loose but , I decided to keep it. My wife's was supposed to be Sm but it was way too big on her.

After reading over their return policy, I contacted them and got a RMS number and returned to them for full refund since they made no extra small.

Needless to say, my return wasn't exactly to their policy requirements but, they took it back any way.

All of my other subsequent purchases had been good and items delivered as advertised.

These online purchases need to be researched thoroughly BEFORE you buy AND read ALL of their policies.

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”
    Abe Lincoln

I've bought from them before for a cpl diffrent bikes never a problem but their site is hard to navigate and their serch sucks it just pulls up everything close then the descriptions are vague and confusing on some items so I can see how you could order the wrong part .
    They should take it back at least exchange it with a restocking fee on the returned item.Which one did you get?Have you thought about selling here or ebay?See what they go for and price yours close leatherup is as cheap as you can find so maybe you can come out ok on it.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wp120470 View Post
    I got a 1300R lets see some pics, no promises but I am in the market for one I just got my X last month. Just put a new metzler me-880 on it so this months allowance is shot but she sure rides good. Never know I got a friend who might be interested also.
    Sorry about the slow response. I'm checking locally for buyers right now. I didn't mention that it was a Show Chrome solo rack for the rear fender. It replaces the rear seat. I'll post it if I can't figure something out. I'd really like to use it, but doesn't look promising.

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1300cnME View Post
    Exactly. I've exchanged and returned items that were the wrong size or mis-shipped.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. This is a perfect example of that. Whenever you buy something it's on the buyer to make sure the part they are buying fits the thing they want to use it for. If it's clearly listed somewhere on the sales page what it fits, I can understand them not taking back an open box item that was misordered.

Sucks you misordered, but it's completely unfair to put your mistake on a business.
    Had you read the entire original post, I agreed that it was my fault & was ready to bite the bullet for my mistake. What I'm burned about is that I was told by their representative to ship it back for a credit. I'm a fair person, but expect companies, as well as people in general, to stand by their word.
    By the way, I've also ordered from them in the past with good results...just not in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by eznkc View Post
    I've bought from them before for a cpl diffrent bikes never a problem but their site is hard to navigate and their serch sucks it just pulls up everything close then the descriptions are vague and confusing on some items so I can see how you could order the wrong part .
    They should take it back at least exchange it with a restocking fee on the returned item.Which one did you get?Have you thought about selling here or ebay?See what they go for and price yours close leatherup is as cheap as you can find so maybe you can come out ok on it.

Good Luck.
    I've bought a couple of times from them before with good results, too. It's a Show Chrome solo rack that replaces the rear seat. I swear I've seen them on "C" models before, which is probably why I didn't pay enough attention when ordering. If I don't have any luck with a mod, I'll probably post it here. Thanks.

I've bought from them 4 times, all good ezperiences, but then again never had to return anything..Sorry to hear the hassles you are going through.
    2011 HD RGU (Sweeeeet), Rineharts (true dual), Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, Stage 1 intake
    2005 VTX 1300C (Gone May 2010)
    2003 VTX 1800C, Kuryakyn H-Charger, PCIII, V&H Bigshots (where'd the baffles go), backrest, and Arlen Ness Mirrors. (Gone Mar 2012)
    Various years, makes, and colors of 50-850cc bikes since 1967
    BLACK - The FASTER color.
    PGR Member

I also have had great results with them. 2007 VTX 1300C
    2007 VTX 1300C Black

I recently ordered a luggage rack from LeatherUp.com. Their heading of the ad for the item states that it is for VTX1300/1800 bikes. When I received the item, I removed the rack & a bag of hardware. Then I saw that it only fits VTX1300R or S models...mine is a "C" model. I called Leather Up & explained exactly what I had done & was told to package it up as well as I could & return it for credit, since they don't make one for my bike. Today I received the rack back with a note saying it had been rejected for refund, since it had been opened. I called Leather Up & was told that once the return was rejected, there was nothing they could do about it. I was willing to except responsibility for ordering the wrong part, because further into the ad, it tells which models it fits...my fault. But, they told me to ship it back for credit. Now, I'm not only stuck with a part I can't use, I had to pay shipping charges to return it. Needless to say, I'll be making future purchases with one of their competitors.
    Had you read the entire original post, I agreed that it was my fault & was ready to bite the bullet for my mistake. What I'm burned about is that I was told by their representative to ship it back for a credit. I'm a fair person, but expect companies, as well as people in general, to stand by their word.
    By the way, I've also ordered from them in the past with good results...just not in the future.
    Listen. I agree it's a sh*tty situation all around losing money. . . but saying your never going to patronize leatherup again for what you are admitting was your own fault is kind of. . . hrm, what's the nice way to say this. . . . . stupid.

Good luck with future purchases. . I hope that all the other websites of the world can read your mind to know what you're looking for.

Good luck. Good night.

EDIT:
    This guy has a reason to be unhappy. . . http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...-BUY-FROM-THEM . . this is a reason to start a Beware thread.
    Last edited by VTX1300cnME; 03-30-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Bub Club member #361

Default return policy

Need to return something? Not a problem. Ordering for the Holidays? Not a problem. Starting October 25th 2011, Our 30 day EXCHANGE & STORE CREDIT Return policy has been extended until January 31st 2012. This means you will have until the extended time frame to return an item for an exchange or store credit only. All we ask is for the item(s) to be returned in new condition as originally received and that our return guidelines below are followed

.As you may expect, we ask that you return your purchase in unused condition, with its original packaging, storage boxes, containers, manuals, accessories and hand tags etc.. intact. Any item that has been used for "a ride, worn once" will be considered used and will not be accepted for a return or exchange. Please take a look below for specific instructions regarding your merchandise.

This is the return policy It states "INTACT" which is their way of dealing with a bag of parts opened.

Now consider if you had ordered teh right part and recieved and opened bag of parts how would you feel about Leatherup then? Even if you received all the parts you would then be wary about Leatherup. And lastly consider if you recieved it with missing parts and the anger you have had with them to get parts.

They are doing the conscious thing for business. It is always hard to lose money on a mistake as I have made similar ons myself. You stated you take responsibility for your mistake well this is it by not getting upset with them for not taking it back.

Just a thought........................J

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. - P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1300cnME View Post
    Listen. I agree it's a sh*tty situation all around losing money. . . but saying your never going to patronize leatherup again for what you are admitting was your own fault is kind of. . . hrm, what's the nice way to say this. . . . . stupid.

Good luck with future purchases. . I hope that all the other websites of the world can read your mind to know what you're looking for.

Good luck. Good night.

EDIT:
    This guy has a reason to be unhappy. . . http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...-BUY-FROM-THEM . . this is a reason to start a Beware thread.
    Let's see. You've called me unfair & stupid, yet you still don't understand that I wouldn't have been upset, had they refused to take it back. I'm upset because they lied to me. I just haven't given up on honor, yet.

Let's see. You've called me unfair & stupid, yet you still don't understand that I wouldn't have been upset, had they refused to take it back. I'm upset because they lied to me. I just haven't given up on honor, yet.
    I UNDERSTAND WHY YOUR UPSET .........

I also would have not let it go ..... you said they had it listed for 1800 and 1300 ....... even if later on in small print or otherwise on down listed for a certain model.... in my opinion its their fault for being misleading. ..... they have the responsibility. to be clear in their listing .... this sound like a bait & switch to me

Sorry about the raw deal you got. I use Motorcycle Super Store and Cruiser Customizing. Both have been good so far. I do tripple check for right part and bike. I am afraid of doing the same as I normally am a one first line reader only. Good Luck.
    2004 1300s GOD GAVE US THE RIGHT TO RIDE THE HIGHWAYS AND BARE ARMS.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by ewcaron View Post
    Sorry about the raw deal you got. I use Motorcycle Super Store and Cruiser Customizing. Both have been good so far. I do tripple check for right part and bike. I am afraid of doing the same as I normally am a one first line reader only. Good Luck.

Phat Performance has always had great customer service too - I always will recommend them to friends.
    2007 VTX1800C: Vance & Hines Big Shots, Baron Air Kit, PCIII, Kuryakyn ISO grips, Cobra floorboards, Progressive 412 shocks and fork springs, Kuryakyn Ergo Highway Bars, Mean City Cycles seat, HID headlight, 1300FD, Avon Cobra tires and custom "Truefire" paint by BD's Cycles.

OP sorry for your problems with them , done a little business even returned a few items, but .............Never a problem with the sponsor of this site....DLP....and they price match ..
    Last edited by TennX; 03-31-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

I appreciate everyone's comments. Hope everyone has continued success with their purchases. I was just throwing out something to be aware of. Take care & enjoy the ride.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Hope everyone has continued success with their purchases. I was just throwing out something to be aware of. Take care & enjoy the ride.
    Nothing wrong with a heads up....we watch each others backs on here....
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.